Is There An Alternative to a Deadlift?

Options

Replies

• Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Agree with squats. Kettlebells are going to jack up your back more. I personally love deadlifts but I think that it's really easy to have improper form. Ease up until you feel better then add them back in, but make sure you're watching yourself in a mirror to make sure you aren't arching your back too much or slouching.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Until you know the actual cause of your back pain you should avoid anything that might aggregate it. Forget taking advice from Internet forums and go get checked out

I'm not a fan of docs. Waste of time and money. Do you really run to the doctor and say, "my back hurts"? Lol. That seems ridiculous to me.

Unless you have something real, like peeing blood, I don't see the point. Western docs are *kitten*. People run to their doc for everything and I don't understand it. Maybe I just have a bad doc. I don't know. I'm looking into that trust me. But, my back is fine. Weak, but fine.

ya...strangers telling you to swing a kettle ball are much more reliable

I'm not going to.

I'm smart.

Give me a little credit. Just because someone provides advice and opinions, doesn't mean I'll do it. I'm listening. That's different than taking action. I want to hear hat everyone says, then, I'll make a decision.

Cool?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    for a sore back...the best remedy is REST

trying to work through it can set you back far longer than an adequate rest period
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't do deaelifts often at all. I do a lot of heavy squats and cleans instead. if you're gonna have deadlifts i'd recommend never maxing out on that lift but instead keeping it around 85% for reps.

Working out this way my dl max increased by 40lbs in the past 5 months without ever directly working on it often.

The one rep max I did was for a gym evaluation so thats the only reason I did it.
  • neverstray
    Options

trying to work through it can set you back far longer than an adequate rest period

Thanks. I'll see how I feel in a week or so.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I don't do deaelifts often at all. I do a lot of heavy squats and cleans instead. if you're gonna have deadlifts i'd recommend never maxing out on that lift but instead keeping it around 85% for reps.

Working out this way my dl max increased by 40lbs in the past 5 months without ever directly working on it often.

The one rep max I did was for a gym evaluation so thats the only reason I did it.

Not planning max. Just 6-8 reps per set.

I like the hex bar. I may try that if my gym has one.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Probably even a lower percentage if you're doing 6-8 reps then. I'll usually do it in a ladder with maybe two sets 5 reps at 70% then increase and lower the reps for 3 at 85 for one set. I'm going for only strength building so I dont do many reps. What kind of goals are you going for with your deadlift?
  • neverstray
    Options

Probably even a lower percentage if you're doing 6-8 reps then. I'll usually do it in a ladder with maybe two sets 5 reps at 70% then increase and lower the reps for 3 at 85 for one set. I'm going for only strength building so I dont do many reps. What kind of goals are you going for with your deadlift?

I'm using a muscle building program. But, I'm actually cutting. I only do 3 sets of 6-8 reps. That's it. But, I might do more warm up sets getting up to where I can only do 8, then I do 2 more sets with that weight trying to hit 8 reps and only resting 1 min between.
  • Smikkelpoes
    Options
    There is no real one-exercise-replacement for a deadlift, as it also targets your forearms and traps along with the earlier mentioned muscles.

The best thing is to just take a rest until your back feels better (I know how hard that is though), alternatively you could try heavy barbell shrugs combined with (bodyweight) hyperextensions to slowly get your back back to functioning again.
  • neverstray
    Options
    There is no real one-exercise-replacement for a deadlift, as it also targets your forearms and traps along with the earlier mentioned muscles.

The best thing is to just take a rest until your back feels better (I know how hard that is though), alternatively you could try heavy barbell shrugs combined with (bodyweight) hyperextensions to slowly get your back back to functioning again.

Thanks man.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Altho I don't agree with running to the doc every time there's an ouchie, I 100% agree with this. Resting an injury is key if you want to avoid the doctor's office. Finding alternative exercises doesn't count as rest.

If you think it's just new exercise soreness then get rest and stretch. Especially your hamstrings. Yoga helped me greatly with eliminating random back pain.
  • neverstray
    Options

Altho I don't agree with running to the doc every time there's an ouchie, I 100% agree with this. Resting an injury is key if you want to avoid the doctor's office. Finding alternative exercises doesn't count as rest.

If you think it's just new exercise soreness then get rest and stretch. Especially your hamstrings. Yoga helped me greatly with eliminating random back pain.

Thanks.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Kettlebell swing and/or good morning

kettlebell swing will stuff his back up more... thats not really a solution

A properly executed kettlebell swing will have no ill effects on one's lumbar spine. If it hurts your low back, you're doing it wrong.
  • KBjimAZ
    Options

Good mornings will do even worse.

Good mornings and sumo deadlifts are primarily the same movement, a hip hinge. Hip...not low back.
  • KBjimAZ
    Options
    I would also add that a visit to a chiropractor or ART could do nothing but help, along with rest.
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    Squat maybe. I tweaked my lower back doing practice deadlifts with the bar only. I knew this would happen. Involving my spine in an exercise like that is just dumb. But, I'm using a new program that requires a Deadlift routine. As soon as I picked up the bar to practice form, my lower back hurt. I adjusted and I think did it properly, I probably should have just stopped. Anyway, are squats a good alternative until my back heals? I'm going to try again, I'm not giving up. But, I need to heel first. It might be ok by the time it's time to do them again in about a week.

with all respect if you want to add real mass on your back you will need these 3-4 excercises , DEADLIFT hands down, if you dont know how to do them , youtube so you think you can deadlift and they will teach you how to do it, bent over rows, shrugs , and chin ups
  • neverstray
    Options
    Squat maybe. I tweaked my lower back doing practice deadlifts with the bar only. I knew this would happen. Involving my spine in an exercise like that is just dumb. But, I'm using a new program that requires a Deadlift routine. As soon as I picked up the bar to practice form, my lower back hurt. I adjusted and I think did it properly, I probably should have just stopped. Anyway, are squats a good alternative until my back heals? I'm going to try again, I'm not giving up. But, I need to heel first. It might be ok by the time it's time to do them again in about a week.

with all respect if you want to add real mass on your back you will need these 3-4 excercises , DEADLIFT hands down, if you dont know how to do them , youtube so you think you can deadlift and they will teach you how to do it, bent over rows, shrugs , and chin ups

Thanks. I've been practicing with no weight, just getting used to the move and how it's supposed to feel. I think on the very first one I did with just the bar, I was raising with my back, not with my hips. I think I understand the move now after watching about 25 YouTube videos. I'm going to try it with very light weight, maybe no weight on the bar. I really want to do this right. And, everything I keep reading, this is THE exercise of the century. So, I want to give it a go. Even if I just do it with no weight for a week or something to get the move down, I will. I want to protect my back from damage. I was doing the move this morning, and I think I can feel how it's supposed to work. My legs are tiny, so I almost don't need weight. I just need to get used to the move, and add a tiny bit of weight as it feels good. I'm not going to rush on this one.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    kettle ball swing is one of those exercises that targets everything but doesnt target everything .. its just been made popular by cross fitters.. stick with your deadlifts
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    kettle ball swing is one of those exercises that targets everything but doesnt really do diddly squat.. its just been made popular by cross fit.. stick with your deadlifts

Oh+No+You+Didn%2527t.bmp
  • KBjimAZ
    Options
    kettle ball swing is one of those exercises that targets everything but doesnt target everything .. its just been made popular by cross fitters.. stick with your deadlifts

The kettlebell swing (properly performed) is a hip hinge exercise. The deadlift is....wait for it.....a hip hinge as well. The primary focus being the posterior chain.

As for the whole "diddly squat" thing. Ask Tracy Reifkind. PS she doesn't do crossfit.......

http://tracysfoodandthought.blogspot.com/

I'm out....sorry for hijacking...