Protein

bjenegiles
bjenegiles Posts: 75 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have noticed that I go welllll over my daily protein amount. Is that good or bad? I only lost .9 lbs this week. I'm glad I lost and didn't gain (lol) but I wonder if that has anything to do with my slow loss.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Nope, lean protein is good for you & for new muscle growth...if you are going over in protein or fiber you are okay!!
    Losing a pound in a week is not bad progress....it is healthy and good & you will most likely keep it off!!
    Good job on the loss this week!! :)
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    It's okay if you go over in your protein, you just don't want to make it a habit to go way over. To much protein isn't good for you. Just stay close to your goals and you will be fine. Also make sure it is lean protein (fish, chicken, low or non fat dairy)
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    As a rule of thumb, you should eat at least 1/2 of your body weigh in grams of protein. So a 150 lb person should eat 75 grams of protein per day. I usually end up eating my weight in grams of protein. Lean protein is essential for muscle growth and also, it breaks down slower than carbohydrates so you feel full longer. I make it a rule to eat protein for every meal/snack along with fiber rich carbohydrates ( they break down slower as well). I TRY to stay away from refined sugar and products made with white flour or enriched white flour.
  • hey while on the subject of going over.. im -19 on m carbs today ... is that really bad??
  • I adjusted my goals so that my 1260 calories break down to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats. Like one of the previous posted said, you should eat half you body weight in grams of protein, but I exceed even that. I was reading on bodybuilding.com that serious weightlifters/figure contest participants eat their body weight in grams of protein daily. I think my goal comes out to about 110g per day. I also find if I eat more healthy fats (avocados, almonds) daily, my weight loss is improved - as long as I keep up with my exercise.

I have also traded my late snacks from carbs (fruit) to protein (cottage cheese), much better snack for dieting before bed than carbs.

My opinion - EAT PROTEIN!
This discussion has been closed.