Prep for a Body Fat Test

Options
About 3 years ago I got my body fat tested...and I've got the courage to do it again. My concern is... What do I need to do in preparation for the Body Fat test? My old fitness/health instructor at the college used to tell me that I needed to make sure I was hydrated because being dehydrated by any means could cause a significant fluctuation. Is there truth to this? What should I do in preparation? I don't want to get there and be disappointed only to know that there may have been things to help the accuracy of the test (especially after the fitness lady sees me sobbing..haha).

Any help on this subject? Banks...Azdak...I know you gentlemen are out there.... any suggestions?? Keeping in mind this isn't just a "step on the scale" thing...its legit :)

Replies

• oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    bump

i heard that water makes a difference.
    i'd enjoy hearing what the pros say.:wink::wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • leavinglasvegas
    Options
    Dawna, where are you going to do this? I would love to know an accurate number for myself. I suppose I could ask my doc.

I'm not a pro, but I do remember from my nutrition class last semester, coach said hydration is important.
  • oregonlady
    Options
    i did a search on the www and this is what i found:

PREPARATION FOR % BODY FAT SCREENING

Please understand that there is no single method of body fat measurement known to have perfect validity for everyone. The best method for one individual may be among the least valid tests for other people. In fact, underwater weighing (the method that most people consider to be a "gold standard") MAY have as much as 5% body fat error (we hope <3%) when used to estimate the fatness of SOME people.

Since all methods of assessment provide ESTIMATES rather than direct measurement, and because the validity of methods varies with the individual being tested; use of multiple methods is likely to provide more meaningful information than is a single assessment. We commonly use a combination of skinfold and bio-electrical impedance analysis in the SPU Exercise Science Lab, but we can also perform underwater weighing and other measurements as desired.

The amount and nature of body water affects the validity of most techniques (especially bio-electrical impedance analysis). For this reason, the following guidelines should be followed in preparation for assessment:

Do not eat or drink within 4 hours of testing.
    Do not exercise within 12 hours of testing.
    Do not consume alcohol within 48 hours of testing.
    Do not use diuretics within 7 days of testing.
    Do not severely restrict caloric intake within 48 hours of test.
    Do void your bladder and colon within 30 minutes of testing.

Please report to the Exercise Science Lab having adhered to these guidelines and understanding that ESTIMATIONS of percent body fat are all that we (or anyone else) can provide. Your estimated body fatness can be compared with norms, but we cannot say with great confidence what amount or percent is ideal for you. The "healthy" ranges for %fat are USUALLY 17-32 and 10-25 for females and males respectively. However, healthy active people may have less fat.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    i did a search on the www and this is what i found:

PREPARATION FOR % BODY FAT SCREENING

Please understand that there is no single method of body fat measurement known to have perfect validity for everyone. The best method for one individual may be among the least valid tests for other people. In fact, underwater weighing (the method that most people consider to be a "gold standard") MAY have as much as 5% body fat error (we hope <3%) when used to estimate the fatness of SOME people.

Since all methods of assessment provide ESTIMATES rather than direct measurement, and because the validity of methods varies with the individual being tested; use of multiple methods is likely to provide more meaningful information than is a single assessment. We commonly use a combination of skinfold and bio-electrical impedance analysis in the SPU Exercise Science Lab, but we can also perform underwater weighing and other measurements as desired.

The amount and nature of body water affects the validity of most techniques (especially bio-electrical impedance analysis). For this reason, the following guidelines should be followed in preparation for assessment:

Do not eat or drink within 4 hours of testing.
    Do not exercise within 12 hours of testing.
    Do not consume alcohol within 48 hours of testing.
    Do not use diuretics within 7 days of testing.
    Do not severely restrict caloric intake within 48 hours of test.
    Do void your bladder and colon within 30 minutes of testing.

Please report to the Exercise Science Lab having adhered to these guidelines and understanding that ESTIMATIONS of percent body fat are all that we (or anyone else) can provide. Your estimated body fatness can be compared with norms, but we cannot say with great confidence what amount or percent is ideal for you. The "healthy" ranges for %fat are USUALLY 17-32 and 10-25 for females and males respectively. However, healthy active people may have less fat.

thanks oregonlady! I was going to do the skinfold & bioimpendence tests at the local college. Those are a lot of stipulations for the test! I don't know if I could restrain from drinking for 4 hours! Thats very interesting. I think I'm going to get it done...but I don't think I'll get too upset about it if I don't like it. The thing is...3 years ago when I did it...at the beginning of the semester I was semi- in shape. My teacher took my body fat, it was okay. I took her aerobics/strength training class, and worked my tail off and lost weight and got toned. And when she did my body fat at the end of the semester it had increased by like 8%, which was completely impossible. She even agreed-it was apparent that I had lost weight and gained muscle. So, if my results aren't what I'd love them to be...I won't be mad...and I'll check sometime at the end of summer!

Thanks again! that is helpful!!
  • oregonlady
    Options
    well, i'd still like to hear from our mfp pros!!!!