NSV! But my thoughts were kind of mean...

Options
I went to a local event last night and was sitting in an auditorium seat for the duration. It felt great to have plenty of room both in the seat and in the shoulder area. I could even cross my legs with comfort throughout the event.

Now for the mean part. I was sitting next to a woman who....well...she was me 87 lbs ago. She was very nice and we chatted off and on, but I could see how uncomfortable she was in her seat. I felt bad for her because it was obvious that she was too big for the seat and every time she tried to adjust herself by standing up a bit and then sitting back down, her jeans would sag down and her shirt would ride up and she would show a part of her bottom to me and everyone behind us. I felt terrible for her, but didn't say anything because I didn't want to embarrass her and she was doing all she could pulling her shirt down etc. I felt really bad too because all I kept thinking was how happy I am that I'm not that person anymore.

It really hit home to sit next to someone that was a similar size to what I was before. I had been in a 3 month depression and have only recently kicked myself in the butt, but not before I gained 15 lbs. I've lost 6 of that and am on my way back to good health and fitness now with daily exercise and healthy eating habits. I don't ever want to go back to being the woman that can't fit in the auditorium seat.

Replies

• Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    a mean thought would be "what a tub of lard."
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I find myself in that similar situation a lot ... Its hard to know whether you should be proud & happy you aren't that way, yet you want to help them because you remember being in a similar spot not long ago.. :ohwell:
  • wannabfit34
    wannabfit34 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Don't feel too awful I think everyone does this once we get a little more comfortable. For me I do this almost daily at work. I see people who are gaining weight mostly because our work is not exciting and leads to sitting and eating out of boredom. I often find myself thinking "if only I could help you because I know how it feels"
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I don't think that was mean. You had empathy with her situation, but just recognised that having been there you didn't want to go back. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Ronamission
    Ronamission Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound mean or judgmental to me. It sounds reflective, grateful, empathetic and proud.
  • Heyman09
    Heyman09 Posts: 184
    Options
    You are doing awesome!! We've all been there....There are times I see someone breathing hard just walking from the handicap parking spot in to Walmart and then jump on the electric cart and I think "Can that hold your weight?" or " Maybe you should walk this time." but then I remember how horrible I felt at my heaviest then I ask God to forgive me for those thoughts. I think your "mean thought" just made you realize how far you have come and that the journey is never really over. Blessings to you. Add me if you would like.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I don't think your thoughts were mean, you obviously felt sympathy for this woman because you knew exactly how she felt. The good news is that you are on the road to good health, so don't give up and keep working at it and there will be many more NSV's to come!! :)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,929 Member
    Options
    It wasn't mean at all. We need to remember where we came from, and that is what you were doing. You didn't treat her like garbage -- you treated her like a human being.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I think it's great when we can see something or someone that reminds us of how far we have come. I don't think it was mean at all.
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I find myself in that similar situation a lot ... Its hard to know whether you should be proud & happy you aren't that way, yet you want to help them because you remember being in a similar spot not long ago.. :ohwell:

I've only started my 'journey' about 7 weeks ago, but I know exactly how that feels. I have friends who constantly moan about wanting to lose weight, while happily digging into their high calorie meals, and I'm really trying not to say too much. I don't want to be the girl who thinks she knows everything :) I offer to workout with them if they want to *grin* But I don't push it. It should be their decision to make, after all, and I know how long it for me to finally decide to do something! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!