ground beef

Options
when you buy ground beef you can buy regular, lean, and extra lean. Obviously the leaner it is the less fat there is in it. But when you cook ground beef you drain the fat anyways so does it still make that big of a difference between the 3 or just a little difference?

Replies

• lilmandy89
    lilmandy89 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    when you buy ground beef you can buy regular, lean, and extra lean. Obviously the leaner it is the less fat there is in it. But when you cook ground beef you drain the fat anyways so does it still make that big of a difference between the 3 or just a little difference?
  • battlangl
    battlangl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Concerning your health, it is best to stay away from ground beef as much as possible. Try ground turkey. Its amazing as burgers and delicious in chili.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You won't always get all the fat out of the beef, so it's best to go for the leanest if that's what you need in your way of eating.

As far as health risks...it's not radioactive or anything. :) You don't have to stay away from it. Dietary cholesterol itsself has little effect on atherosclerosis in an active individual without any illness that prevents absorption, especially when paired with a diet low in simple sugars. Ground turkey isn't any leaner than ground beef, both contain cholesterol, and both can actually lower LDL cholesterol.
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I dont know if you have access to deer meat or eat deer meat (many people dont) but I think it is some of the best ground meat you can eat. It is naturally very lean and it is obvious when cooking it, you will see almost NO grease. My hubby uis ahunter and I personally love deer burger, and knowing how healthy it is is good:) Sorry if that offends or grosses anyone out.
  • kingon8
    kingon8 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I found this to give you an idea:

"Nutritionally, deer meat (venison is a broader term that also applies to meat from elk, moose, caribou and antelope) is healthier than beef. A three-ounce serving provides only 134 calories and three grams of fat, including only one gram of saturated fat. Beef gives you 259 calories for the same three-ounce serving, and 18 grams of fat, including seven grams of saturated fat."
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    We used to eat a lot of venison when my day was alive. It is really good. I also love buffalo.