What food helps you lose weight? What food causes a gain?

Options
Looking for some insight. Share one food that helps you lose weight and one food that makes you gain weight.

Replies

• BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Share one food that helps you lose weight
    Less food
    and one food that makes you gain weight.
    More food.

It's that easy.
  • Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and cabbage (not necessarily together) really helps me to lose weight. Anything with a lot of carbs like bread or rice or potatoes always makes me gain weight and want to eat more.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Less food
    More food.

It's that easy.

This is the only answer you need.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Food that creates a caloric deficit makes you lose weight.

Food that creates a caloric surplus makes you gain weight.

It's really that simple.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    lose weight? Less food
    gain weight? More food
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    It's not about specific foods you eat, but the total net calories. If you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit, if you want to gain, eat at a surplus.

Yes, it's that simple.
  • Athena7777
    Options
    Cabbage sounds good. How do you usually prepare it?
  • rosieg1979
    rosieg1979 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I find high protein foods are really helpful. I used to have a much carb heavier diet, and mid afternoon I would start craving cars and binge.

Now I have one or two protein shakes a day (with not much added so quite low cal) and that seems to have stopped the cravings so I no longer binge.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    the answer to both questions is pizza.
  • coffee_rocks
    coffee_rocks Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Apples. When I'm hungry, an 80 calorie apple fills me up.

Potato chips are my evil snack food, because it's about 300 calories before I even start to feel like I've had enough, and enough sodium to finish of my day's limit.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    No food makes you gain weight or lose weight. It's about how much you eat. If I eat surplus of carrots, I'll still gain weight, and if I eat a deficit of twinkies I'll still lose weight.

That being said, some food can cause bloating, so there's that.
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Helps you to lose weight: non starchy vegetables and low sugar fruits, it's extremely difficult to eat 2000 calories of spinach, mushrooms or celery. Nothing guarantees a gain except overeating.
  • Athena7777
    Options
    Captain...Love the pizza comment. LOL!
    Lovely liz, Twinkies, can we still buy those? JK. So if I eat a 300 calorie donut verses a 300 calorie chicken breast and it's in my calorie goal will I still lose weight?
    coffe rocks, Apples, great idea!
    firefox, What are some low sugar fruits?
    Rosieg1979, what brand protein shakes are you using?
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    Weight loss is math not alchemy. Just eat less calories then you burn off. No magic foods, except some mushrooms but those are illegal......
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    So if I eat a 300 calorie donut verses a 300 calorie chicken breast and it's in my calorie goal will I still lose weight?

Now THAT is a great question! Those are equivalent for weight loss purposes. A typical donut has somewhere between 300-500 calories. Possibly more if it has filling etc. For chicken breast, that's eight or nine ounces to get you to 300 calories.

Eight ounces of chicken breast will keep you feeling more full and satisfied and energized far, far longer than a 300 calorie donut.

Regardless, a calorie is a calorie. So if you eat donuts all day to get by, you'll need a lot probably. If you eat chicken breasts, not so much.
  • Athena7777
    Options
    I need to get out my scale to see how much 9 ounces of chicken looks like.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I need to get out my scale to see how much 9 ounces of chicken looks like.

It's a lot of food compared to a donut. I try to choose foods that are nutritionally dense since I like to eat.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    One large breast cooked.

Edited to add: You might could eat two in a sitting, maybe, if you're feeling tough and really really hungry. But just speaking for myself, I could eat six donuts like nothing. I could NEVER eat that much chicken. Just one of those weird things you sort of learn about all foods by logging and experimenting and eating what you like and seeing how it measures up against other foods.
  • wavedancer123
    wavedancer123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Ham, and pickles - love them
    cakes, wine,crisps and eating off plan!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Less food
    More food.

It's that easy.

This is the only answer you need.

Here Here!