I hate exercise...

Options
I truly do. I don't want to have a negative relationship with what can be my best friend, but I can not find ANYTHING that I actually enjoy doing. I have tried everything from Zumba to spinning, walking indoors and out, playing and running about with my kids....working out with friends NEVER works out because no one will stick it out.

I used to run and enjoyed it but I had a major fall while running which required two surgeries to fix what was hurt (shoulder and ankle) and my ankle is NOT what it is used to be. I don't ever want to run again because of what I went thru. I literally get sick thinking about it happening again.

Please help me....how do I overcome this?? Honestly, I DO know that exercise is key and I want to enjoy myself and NOT moan and groan when I know it is time to do it.

***PLEASE understand that I am not trying to be negative. I really just want to get to where it is enjoyable.

Replies

• sbocha01
    sbocha01 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    working out with friends NEVER works out because no one will stick it out.
    Find a good workout buddy. It might be hard, but it's really worth it.

Have you tried boxing? It's a lot of fun. It's tough, but you get to hit stuff.
  • Queen_JessieA
    Queen_JessieA Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    working out with friends NEVER works out because no one will stick it out.
    Find a good workout buddy. It might be hard, but it's really worth it.

Have you tried boxing? It's a lot of fun. It's tough, but you get to hit stuff.

I need a good workout buddy! Everyone starts off gung ho and then it goes to the same pattern. They will miss a meeting...and then another...and then they are just gone. And, I have to be honest, when they miss a meeting or two, I stop being all gung ho. So...it isn't just them, it is me too.

Boxing actually does sound fun, but i haven't seen anything like that around here. I have mentioned before that I would love to have a punching bag in my garage to vent on from time to time :)
  • SanDiegoCasey
    SanDiegoCasey Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    what about just weights at the gym? just a little cardio ahead of it on an ellyp for a warm up?
  • ouija86
    ouija86 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Lift weights. There's always another challenge to meet/goal to get too. Plus as you do it, you'll meet other people who always do it too, then you don't need to find workout buddies cuz you'll know all the people in the gym.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Try meeting with a personal trainer if you can afford it. It's like a workout buddy, but they HAVE to be there, 'cause you're paying them. And, they could help you find something you like.
  • Crayvn
    Crayvn Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    do you have a WII? I know there are a couple of exercise things on that. I have actually thought it about myself...

what about pilates or yoga...?
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to do things you don't enjoy because it's important for your health.

Personally, I despise lifting, but I do it 2-3 times a week to maintain my lean body mass, keep my bones strong, and look better.

So, suck it up and do what you need to do. :smile:
  • bryanfosado
    Options
    Surely you should find your own motivation to working out alone try it for 5 weeks straight without stopping after a while it will become a hobby believe me even if its by yourself, If you know someone that is dedicated to being fit and exercising you should schedule to work out together but you should motivate yourself first.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Training as I’ve mentioned before is a funny one, people continue to do the same workout again and again and continue to step on scales, pull their shirt up in the mirror and expect something just to ‘change’

Einsteins definition of insanity
    ‘Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results’

If it doesn’t work….STOP and do something different at the very least. The amount of people I’ve dealt with who have commented ‘wow, I’ve been trying to do for X amount of years what we’ve achieved in months’, some of the time I want to draw fact that all we did was stop doing what they’d been told they should believe in and did instead what they needed to do and generally the opposite. As unbelievable as it is I would describe most of the results I have got with males and females much like this (bear in mind almost all, male or female are compositional so they just want to look better).

http://phillearneyblog.com/2012/03/07/sexual-problems/

My advice? Talk to your local trainer and lift some weights. See how you feel after a few weeks.
  • dorilou1969
    Options
    try listening to music while working out. If I don't have music, I can't exercise. Music keeps me going, I lose myself in it. Give it a try!
  • laurenmgrasso
    Options
    What about pilates? or step aerobics?
    I used to go to the gym and try and lift and all that but I just hated going. I hate running too.
    I try to just do a jillean michaels tape or some pilates for just a half hour a day. A half hour is much easier to suck it up than anything longer! :) Plus I'd rather use my own body than any equipment because I've had injuries from sports in the past.
    Good luck :)
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Do you like to get in the water?

Water aerobics, swimming, or throwing kids around the pool are all good.

Sometimes I hate exercising in the moment, and I like the results that I know happen when I'm consistent with it.

ETA: I also use it (or at least historically have) as time to decompress from my work day... just for me... so I didn't need a buddy.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Try meeting with a personal trainer if you can afford it. It's like a workout buddy, but they HAVE to be there, 'cause you're paying them. And, they could help you find something you like.

this.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My story is similar. I used to be a "type A" exercise person, incredible endurance, long distance runner, the whole shabang; and now I just can't get in gear. Ping pong has been working for me, and the batting cages are good, although ski ball is more my speed these days. I'm upgrading to racquetball next week. My reasoning is that it is a contained space. If I miss the ball, I can walk to get it and not walk far.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It takes 3 months to re-program your brain to love working out & so you want to do it each day. Don't give up.

I hated exercise with a passion, would refuse (and I mean yell at you refuse) to even walk anywhere. I started working out every day with a goal..... to do one workout a day for a whole year. 10 months in & I've not missed a day. I Zumba, run, walk, so a whole crap load of other things as well (jogging on the spot indoors) and even dance myself stupid when nobody is at home.....

Now if I don't do something by about 3pm I'm all jittery & start getting all pissed off at the world. I HAVE to exercise or ppl start getting my nasty attitude.

Don't give up. You hate it....nobody LOVES it.... but you HAVE to do it & in 3 months time you will wonder how you went without it.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Become an endorphinaholic ; change your negative mindset. Now you love exercise lol.
  • catpow2
    catpow2 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions: kickboxing and water aerobics.

Kickboxing--quite simply the best workout I have ever done. I'm into running and weight lifting now but when I was kickboxing a few times a week when I was in my early 30s I was in the best shape of my life.

Water Aerobics--totally underrated. I thought it was a bunch of older folks chatting and floating around the pool. Decided to give it a try, thinking I'd warm up before hitting the gym for my 'real' workout. No--after an hour of that I was done. Completely wiped out. After that I started going 3 times a week.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It's ok, it hates you too :p

Just kidding. Seriously though, it's quite hard to say anything else than stick with it for a while, like pinkraynedrop said.

"Exercise" is freaking vast world to explore too, I kinda doubt you passionately hate all of it. Try stuff :)
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Is kickboxing in there between Zumba and spinning? It feels really good to throw a punch. :smile: I've only used dvd's, but I've used Turbo Jam, which is my all-time favorite, and regular kickboxing, and it seems to be the one thing I always fall back on. I'm also really enjoying lifting and challenging myself to lift more. There are hundreds of fitness videos on youtube that you could check out. Maybe something there would interest you.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    If you hate exercise, don't do it. It's honestly no big deal. As long as you're not lounging on the couch for 24 hours a day, I think you'll be okay. Adjust your calories according to your sedentary or lightly active lifestyle.