starvation mode?

Options
Hi all,

I was just curious what the thought is about my diet. I currently eat about 1600 cals a day (recommended for 1 lbs a week). The problem is that I run 5 days a week (Marathon Training) which is usually 2 short tempo runs (3 t0 6 miles), 2 medium fartlek runs (5 to 10 miles), and 1 long run (9 to 20 miles). So, for instance, today, I ate 1600 cals but burnt 700 cals on a 6.2 mile run. Do you think I actually need to fill these lost calories in. For my background, I started last winter at 225 lbs and started lifting. Got down to 180 lbs and started running. Ran a Marathon on nov. 4th and a half marathon on nov. 22nd. I am now 149 but cant seem to cut the last few pounds I am looking to cut to get to 5-6 % body fat. Any ideas?

Replies

• djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    you do need to fill in those calories to see results but fill them with nutrient rich calories for the best results
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    yea, i kinda thought so. my diet when I started was strict around 1000 but was only lifting. now i am burning anywhere from 500 to 2000 cals on my runs. appreciate the reply.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    MFP wants you to net 1600, so eat back those exercise calories! You may be too close to goal to lose 1 lb. a week. Maybe try for .5 instead?
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I think they recommend eating back most of your exercise calories. I don't know what the right answer is. I think you should at least net 1200 calories. So on those days that you are burning 700 calories you should actually be eating 1900 calories at least. I know whenever my calories don't add up to 1200 for a day I get that little message at the bottom of the screen that says YOU ARE EATING TOO FEW CALORIES. One more thing...send me some of your running motivation PLEASE. That is amazing.
  • closenre
    Options
    LOL, MFP yells at me as well.. Thank you for your posts!
  • closenre
    Options
    Nikki,

I love running. The key is to start slow. You will hate it if it hurts. Make your steps akwardly choppy and make sure you could hold a conversation while running. If it is hard to talk, you are pushing to hard. obviously once you get into it you speed up but at first make it fun! It is extremely liberating. Make sure you get the right shoes so go to a specialty store for that. Last, have a great playlist! Music will always keep you going. And do some research, look for motivation on the web and never worry about what others think. they only judge because they cant or wont! Good luck!!
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    Your so lucky you can run - my knees are stuffed so my running days are over.
    In reply to your post, you are close to goal so 1lb a week is probably too much to ask (and maintain). Reduce your drop to .5lb a week and def eat back your cals. You are burning a lot so need the energy. 1600 is still quite light though - just go with how you feel. Eat when hungry and make good food choices.
  • closenre
    Options
    I appreciate the post. I guess because I was so big I worry about gaining it back. I was so successful at 1000 cals for so long I am afraid to go over it. I dont struggle much not eating. I eat but it is no longer a struggle to say no and almost seems harder to eat more than I think I should. Definitively noted tho. Thank you!