I am under my calorie goal but over my protein goal?

Options
Like for instance today I am way under my calorie goal but way over my protein goal because I am trying to eat the right things (chicken breast, etc) Do you think this is a problem? Will this inhibit my weight loss?

Replies

• T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Protein is a min not a max.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Not a problem at all. MFP actually sets protein pretty low. It's great for you -- eat as much as you'd like. Just be sure to hydrate.
  • raylenebrooks
    raylenebrooks Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat high protein over 100 gr a day down 40 lbs so I do not think it would hinder your weight loss :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    The defaults for MFP have some pretty low settings for proteins to begin with, IMO. If you want to be shooting for a number that's not the default, you can go to My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom and set your macros differently. I think a decent setting is 40/30/30 protein/carbs/fat but it depends on you and your goals, too.

If you want to leave it as is, I wouldn't worry about going over.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Excellent question. I have wondered the same thing. Good to know that what is posted is minimal, as I need more protein than the average bear.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    The defaults for MFP have some pretty low settings for proteins to begin with, IMO. If you want to be shooting for a number that's not the default, you can go to My Home > Goals > Change Goals > Custom and set your macros differently. I think a decent setting is 40/30/30 protein/carbs/fat but it depends on you and your goals, too.

^^^ This
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    I'm in the same boat and had the same question- thanks for the post!!
  • djames92
    djames92 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    going over your protein isnt bad at all in most cases i actually aim to go over every day
  • cheddle
    cheddle Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This will actually enhance your weight loss for several reasons:

- protein slowly digests, meaning it delivers a "smoother" energy release into the body keeping you feeling fuller for longer

- this slow energy release also keeps blood sugars more stable compared the simple-carbohydrates, this prevents excessive fat storage and energy level crashes

- protein requires more digestion, in some instances it takes 30% of the energy in protein, just to digest it. so 10 grams of sugar is more comparable to 13 grams of protein in terms of weight loss/gain, meaning you can eat more protein compared to carbohydrate and fats

- protein greatly assist the body in building muscles, high-protein diet combined with resistance training will tone your body and firm it, adding muscle mass - muscles burn more calories even when resting so having more muscles will help you lose weight faster.

- animals are delicious....
  • skinnygrlerica
    skinnygrlerica Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good to know!! I am always UNDER my calories and fat and carbs but my proteins are in the 100s daily. WHEW!! I'm glad to see that its normal and I'll still lose weight.

Thanks for the post!
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Protein is a min not a max.
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So if I aim to eat more protein should I cut back on my carbs?
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I've set my goals for 40/30/30 and I'm having a really hard time getting in my protein. Those darn carbs keep getting in the way! What are you eating to go over your protein recs?
  • InPieces3
    Options
    I've noticed since I've cut back on my carbs, and ate more protein (over what MFP says is acceptable by 50 grams) I've not only felt fuller longer, but I've been steady losing ounce by ounce. I've watched my sodium intake and sugar intake also very closely and I'm going to credit the weight loss I've been seeing to that also. Of course I also exercise and make sure I'm eating... I don't go under 1,400 calories ever. ((that is btw just me personally))

And staying hydrated is always a must. :)
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Most of the time i am way over on protein and seldom meet my fat or cabs.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

Yes, change your protein goal. Top nutritionists recommend the 40/30/30,
  • distortedhero
    distortedhero Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I have it 40/30/30 but mine is carbs/protein/fat.

Can someone tell me why it should be protein/carbs/fat instead?
  • shells22
    shells22 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No it will not inhibit your weight loss. Protein will keep you fuller longer and my doctor told me to aim for 30 grams of protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 90 grams of protein at least- that's hard lol! So I have a protein shake for breakfast then try to aim for 60 grams of protein. Just focusing on that has made me lose so much weight. So you're good, keep protein intake high and calories low.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    To change your settings, go to My Home - Goals - Change - Custom and make the changes there. I broke through a plateau by increasing my protein and have been losing steadily ever since.
  • punkisdead83
    punkisdead83 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I was curious bout this myself as i'm always going over the protein cuz of all the chicken and turkey im eating.