Cardio Exercises for home?

Options
Hey everyone,

I live in DC and I've been snowed in for the past week. I've been able to watch what I eat and I've been doing some at home yoga/pilates, but I want some cardio. Anyone have any good exercise moves I could do from my living room? It looks like I'll be snowed in for two more days.

I don't have a treadmill or elliptical machine at home, so those are ruled out.

Replies

• dlshipley
    dlshipley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Have you ever watched Fit TV? There are some wonderful workouts at home on that channel. I don't have a treadmill or elliptical at home either but after doing some of their workouts I feel like it is equivalent.
  • StrengthInPain
    StrengthInPain Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    have any workout videos?? otherwise, a jumprope? or you can just jump and imagine the rope. or just jumping jacks. also marching in place. you can switch between strength and cardio, for example: 30 jumping jacks, 10 pushups, 30 seconds of jumping rope, 25 situps, 30 seconds of marching in place, 15 squats... and repeat.
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    http://www.fitnesstrainerstogo.com/cardio/

This site has a nice list. have fun :)
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I live in DC and I've been snowed in for the past week. I've been able to watch what I eat and I've been doing some at home yoga/pilates, but I want some cardio. Anyone have any good exercise moves I could do from my living room? It looks like I'll be snowed in for two more days.

I don't have a treadmill or elliptical machine at home, so those are ruled out.

If you have a jump rope, it's a great workout. Also, if there are some stairs, just race up and down the stairs. Really gets your heart pumping. Mix it up with some squats, crunches, etc. as acensoprano mentioned, and you have a workout. :)
  • tmarie75
    Options
    menjivas~
    I know it wont help at the moment, but for future reference, you can get amazing DVD workouts from the following site.
    tinyurl.com/here4you
    These are the workouts I do. I dont have to leave my home, they are very motivational, and they cost less than a gym membership.

I love the jump rope idea.
    Hope you stay warm and safe with all that snow around
  • mickers
    Options
    Skipping rope! It is hard and challenging cardio and not expensive. Look at all the boxers out there - it works!
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Shoveling snow will burn some calories.... ;-)
  • megzc1987
    Options
    try nikewomen.com, and click on the "training" tab on the left side of the page. There, you can create an id and create custom workouts (cardio, strength, and core). Each exercise is completed in two minutes, and each workout is about 10 moves. I have been customizing the workouts to moves that challenge me. Most of the moves you don't need any equipment, or light weights or a step (I have even improvised using a table chair, my couch, etc.) The moves are challenging, especially over the two minute time frame. Also, I burn an average of 300-400 calories in a 30-50 minute session with breaks between each move (determined with heart rate monitor)

Good luck and stay warm!
  • FightingFit
    Options
    Give the house a REALLY good clean. Scrubbing, mopping and vaccumming burn LOADS of calories and think of how much more you'll love your sparkly clean house :)

When I used to live in NY in the winter, I used to do things like stair challenges, running up and down one at a time, 2 at a time, 3 at a time, jumping up several and walking back down again. I also watched FItTv and had a set of hand weights handy.
    It used to drive my roomate crazy though jumping around the house!!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Dance! In my home, we find good dance music on Youtube and shake our booties. My kids and husband and I all love dancing. Our personal favorites are Latin music and African music. You can even try to dance like the dancers in the videos for a good workout.