So I need to change ALL my food choices...

Options
13»

Replies

• Built_Strong
    Built_Strong Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I always tell people the same thing when they say the can't or don't like to cook - invest in a crockpot! I make my weekly meals on Sunday and I don't have to do any work. I buy those McCormick seasoning blends and use those to season the meats in the cooker. Easy peasy! After 6-8 hours I have a weeks worth of lunchs & dinners with little effort and no standing in front of a stove. Portion & freeze & you're good to go.

I also use jarred/canned sauces. My faves are the Presidents Choice marinating sauces - chimichurri, spicy satay, Korean BBQ, just pour in a bottle with 5 - 6 chicken breasts and you have instant bases for meals. Add a salad and/or rice and dinner/lunch is done.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Cool! You will do fine, over time you will get good at this!
    Here's a quick, simple, totally delicious casserole...check it out....

Tortilla Casserole:
    casserole dish (whatever size you want)
    Jar of salsa (mixed with equal parts of water)
    corn tortillas
    shredded mexican cheese

Salsa/water on bottom of dish, a single layer (slightly overlap is fine) of corn tortillas, layer of cheese.
    More salsa/water more corn tortillas, THEN more salsa, top with cheese!
    You can actually make as many layers as your dish can handle, just top with salsa/water and cheese:)
    Now, cover the casserole dish with foil and bake until hot/bubbly!

You can add into the layers things like meat/beans, but.....not necessary.
    Serve this delicious casserole with any or all of the following: meat, beans, avocado, tomato, olives, sourcream (or nonfat plain greek yogurt), lemons, jalepenos....etc!

Have fun, everybody loves this, and it is super easy. Just use what you have!

Another quick one:
    Canned Tuna ( I like trader joe's no salt added), like maybe one can
    Mayonnaise, like maybe 3T
    shredded colby jack cheese, like maybe 2T
    Bread of choice

Mix together and spread onto bread slice(s). Top with a little more cheese if you want. Broil until bubbly/slightly golden.
    Serve with carrot sticks, mandarin orange slices, grapes, etc.
    Optional additions to tuna mix: squeeze of lemon juice, dash of tobasco sauce, chopped cilantro, sliced olives. If you decide to not broil it, maybe you could add some finely chopped celery.

Enjoy!

There is a lot you can do if you:
    roast a chicken, then freeze the meat
    Make a beef roast and freeze the slices
    Make broth by simmering the chicken bones with a few additions, like celery/onion/whole garlic cloves/parsley, peppercorns/etc
    Make a pot of pinto beans, drain if desired, freeze the beans in ziplocs (lay them flat for easy thawing later)
  • LittleMissRainey
    LittleMissRainey Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bumping to steal ideas ;)
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Really good recipes here!! Most of what I do was already mentionned, but here goes. All these can be done within 30 mins (an hour max) :

MEAT: I use a lot of the same spices that I got from "epicure" (minced garlic, chili garlic salt, 3 onions, cheese chives + bacon, etc.) and put them on:
    -Chicken cooked at 350 for about 40 minutes in a glass dish (pyrex)
    - Shrimps sauteed/fried in a pan for about 10 minutes at low to medium heat (I get the ones that aren't cooked, they're black but turn red when cooked)
    -thin cut pork chops either in the frying pan or in the oven. (takes about 10-20 minutes)

I use the herb and spices shake n bake for pork chops or to make my own nuggets (cut chicken breast in strips, roll in seasonning and cook just like nuggets)

CARBS:
    -I eat a lot of rice but have recently changed to Quinoa. I still don't remember how to cook it right, so I look it up online. (usually takes about 15 mins to cook). I put in some OXO sauce (chicken bouillon) in a pouch, onions, peppers for taste)
    -You can always throw in a potato in the oven. Poke it before and put it directly in (can take up to an hour to cook).
    -I will sometimes cook a whole box of rottini, put in some cream of chicken, throw in veggies (peas,carrots,beans, etc), put some chopped cooked chicken, sprinkle with cheese, broil in the oven... meal for a week.

VEGGIES:
    I usually buy frozen carrots/string beans/mini corn cobs/brocolli/colliflower, etc. and either boil them for about 10 minutes or steam them (I have a microwave steamer). I eat them without anything on them but you can put some butter on it or cheese.

MY FAVORITE: low fat, low calorie clam chowder: cut potatoes in cubes, sprinkle salt, put water up to where the potatoes reach in the pot, half an onion diced. Cook until potatoes are done. Put in can of baby clams with the clam water, 1/4 cup of milk, simmer for a while and VOILA! I put some "dough boys" in there (1 cup flour, 1 tbsp baking powder, pinch of salt, water, make little mushy balls, put in chowder for about 5 minutes)

Once you get used to a few things, you will be more comfortable and try new things. Enjoy!
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies and will buy bags of the precut/washed veggies and put them in a single layer on a covered baking sheet at 425 for 12-20ish minutes until they are a little browned and cooked through. You can eat some now and container up the rest for later in the week or to add to broth for soup/stews
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Coming from a guy who just learned how to scramble eggs a couple of weeks ago, I have no doubt you can learn how to prepare basic meals.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    casseroles and crock pot recipes will save your life. All you do it throw a bunch of ingredients in then bake/put on a temp.
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    On a day that you can cook, cook a large meal… I will do things like make pinto beans with an onion or two, a garlic bunch, and sometimes some root veggies along with my seasoning. I will make some mexican fried rice (wild mixed with brown) and make a bunch of burritos, wrap and freeze them. I will make crawfish ettouffe with wild brown rice mix, and freeze them in meal sizes etc. Beef or chicken stew (thick) with the same type of rice. I haven't been doing this recently because my situation doesn't lend to making this easy enough. I will go back to it when I can. This way, after 3 weeks you have a nice variety of foods to choose from and they are filled with good veggies. If you want more details message me.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I always make my own meals, and they are never complicated! I have 2 young kids and want them to eat healthily.

Tonight we had jacket potatoes and tuna and salad. Easy. Heat oven, put in potatoes wrapped in foil, open tuna, mix with mayo, make a salad!

I like to make chicken breasts - I put them in an oven dish with a bit of white wine vinegar, olive oil, garlic and rosemary and cook for half hour. Roast carrots are also good cooked in the same way. I also like to steam veg - carrots, broccoli and peas.

Sweet potato mash is also nice - peel sweet potatoes, boil in water, drain, mash, done!

I'm not a fan of pasta, but it's an easy meal. You could cook some onion, mushroom, courgette etc with some garlic, add some tinned tomatoes and cook some pasta shells and that's a simple meal.

Anyway, feel free to look at my food diary, it's open.
  • hopsonc24
    hopsonc24 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Crockpot!!!
    $6 -- WHole chicken fryer with salt and pepper on low until you get home from work....use that chicken for multiple meals.
    I did this on Wed night...chicken breast with spinach and sweet potatoe for dinner...same for lunch the next day, chicken for fajitas (leaf lettuce instead of tortillas)..chicken for a bacon bbq pizza tonight.

Leave the bones and juice in the crockpot cook on low over night and you have your own chicken broth, use it and any leftover chicken to make chicken tortilla soup (throw in some tomatoes, peppers, cayanne pepper and japs)

Crockpot on low for 8-10hrs or high for 4-5hrs

$6-$10- pork shoulder or a flank steak-shred it, eat it plain, or on a salad or as fajitas

I cook 90% of the meals I eat ( breakfast lunch and dinner). For me its about planning ahead, and making it as cost effective as possible. Prepare as much as you can on your day off and freeze it or refridgerate it.

I