Help please!!

Hi everyone, I am new to MFP...joined last month. Here are some stats before I ask my questions. I'll be really happy to get any advice/comments. Also I'm only just starting out here so please feel free to send friend requests...

Status - married and mother of a 11 month old
Height - 5 feet
Starting weight - 187 pounds
Goal weight - 110 pounds (as per those height, weight, age charts available online)
Current weight - 183 pounds (I've lost 4 odd pounds and a few inches over the last 3 weeks - YAY)
Workout - Jillian Michaels (No more trouble zones OR Banish Fat Boost Metabolism AND 30 day shred) every day
Calorie intake - 1500 calories (after I managed to calculate using the various free tools online)
Water - more than 10 glasses
Food - 50% carbs, 30% proteins and 20% fats - roughly

Please feel free to comment if you see that I'm misguided in terms of goal weight, calories, macro nutrients, etc.

Here's are my questions:

1. I've read how important it is to drink water, but over the last month I notice that whenever I drink the suggested amount of water, I tend to hold most of it and the scales move up or don't budge. It looks like I am retaining most of the water I drink (my salt intake is not high). Anyone face a similar problem?

2. My weight fluctuates a lot, so that 4 pound loss can change tomorrow :-) but inches have decresed. Sometimes I feel lighter but the scales show an increase in numbers and that is demotivating. I find that after one week of hard workout and diet control my weight loss is not that great, but if I give it a 2 day break in between and then weigh in - I actually see a decrease
It puzzles me completely. Especially after a great week.

3. My diet is carb heavy, but I chose things like low GI rice, whole wheat options and I limit my portions. Is that OK or do I need to cut down my carbs even more to lose weight?

4. And this one is for the ladies - I have HORRIBLE cramping and pain during my periods so just cannot work out - all my hard work through out the month gets ruined with that 3-4 day break. Any advice on how I can maintain the momentum during that time?

Probably really weird situations and silly questions - but now you see why I've resorted to putting it out here and asking for help!!! Thanks everyone!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• LadyPakal
    LadyPakal Posts: 256 Member
    Muscles hold water when you work them - when you rest them, they drop the water. TOM also causes water weight fluctuations. Welcome to being female! ;) As long as the inches keep moving downwards, don;t worry. The weight will catch up - but not in a linear fashion. Look at monthly changes rather than day to day.
  • First of all congrats on that awesome 48 pound weight loss. Inspirational :flowerforyou:

And thank you!! I knew I'd learn lost of new things. Point to self - muscles hold water when you work them.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Drinking water has no effect on weight loss beyond the fact that if you chug a glass of water before you eat it might help you eat less. Drink what you need to stay hydrated (not thirsty) and don't worry about all they hype). Our bodies get lots of fluids from foods we eat so drinking beyond thirst isn't required.

If you can stay in your budget eating 50% carbs don't worry. Some people find that carbs don't keep them feeling satiated so they cut back but your weight loss will be from calories in/calories out.

Working out every day can be hard on your body. You do need to take rest days or at least change your workout every other day to allow muscles to rest a bit. 90% of your weight loss will come from your diet. Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Hi, and congrats on your loss so far!!

1. I used to force myself to drink the "recommended" 8 cups of water a day, but I just can't drink that much. I drink about 4-6 cups (and that's with a lot of effort) and it has never hindered my weight loss. I would say drink as much as you think your body needs and it should be fine.

2. My weight fluctuates all the time too. I think it does have a lot to do with your muscles holding onto water, especially with all those Jillian workouts. I have noticed that doing Jillian workouts every other day, and filling in those off days with other workouts, like running and ballet classes, has helped with a more steady decrease. I LOVE her videos though. They have done so much for my body.

3. Embrace the carbs! You need them to power you through those workouts. You can play around with them if you find that your weight is stalling and you're doing everything else right, but I have never had a problem losing weight and my carbs are usually between 150 and 200g per day. I also make sure I balance it out with protein and healthy fats, and make sure my carbs come from low GI sources as well.

4. Are you on the pill? I find that the pill GREATLY reduces the cramping. There's maybe a half a day each month where I feel crappy, but otherwise I'm fine and I can power through. Yoga/stretching and a nice walk can help reduce the pain. I find that if I'm not feeling well for whatever reason, I promise myself that I will do the warmup of whatever workout I'm doing. If I really can't do anything else after the workout, I will stop, but usually I just keep going.

Good luck dear!!!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Are you eating a lot of high sodium foods? I know you said you don't eat a lot of salt but sodium is hidden in everything! Your food diary isn't open so we can't see.

Drinking water wont' cause you to gain any weight. I regularly drink more than 10 cups a day.

If you are close to your TOM that could cause you not to lose weight. Make sure you are eating enough fibre and limiting your sodium.

You should take a day off each week from exercise to let you body heal. When you workout, depending on what exercise you do, you will damage your muscles which will retain water to help repair themselves. Taking at least a day off each week from exercise will not only stop you from getting burnt out but it will also help those muscles heal and taking away the extra weight.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Add me! I am also close to 5 feet! 5"1 to be exact..I started off at 220, now I am at 153! Add me for support!
  • i'm 5', barely & yes. a day can make a diff of 3 lbs up & down for me too. I blame it on being short. I'm 52 and I've ALWAYS been like that. that type of blip is how much water &'ve taken in & my "output". annoying. also the week of my period I"m going to gain 3-5 lbs & if I maintain my eating & exercising it comes off at the end. BUT, I have to be careful w/my cravings.

re: cramps. if you can keep up the exercise throughout the month & even hit it a bit harder right before your cycle starts, it makes it easier, and (this sucks) reducing carbs. I have to be really careful about what I eat as sugar & salt both make me retain water & teh more I retain the more I cramp. try taking a couple extra vitamin c tabs a few days before & during your cycle, (in the morning) as that is a natural diurectic. also if you drink a lot of caffeine, drop it as that can increase cramps (I love my coffee & tea and this is hard for me)

friend me if you like. good luck!
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    I'm with the people who suggested taking some rest days from working out. It's important for your muscles and your body in general. I found I've gotten fewer random injuries working out 5x/week instead of 7 and I also don't have to try to fit exercise into my hectic weekend schedule now. The rest could also potentially help to flush out some of the water your muscles may be holding onto to repair themselves.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,923 Member
    I'd try to reduce the carbs and up your protein for 3 weeks and see if it helps. DON'T GET ON THE SCALE!

Try 40% Carbs/30% Protein/30% Fats...I know it's not easy, plan your meals ahead of time - substitute rice for another veggie at dinner, don't eat the bun on your burger, etc. Small changes may make a big difference. If after 3 weeks these changes haven't made a difference, what have you really lost? You might decide you like eating this way...
  • Hi Mokey41: Thank you! That fact about water is an eye opener. Every weight loss related article would list it as the top to-dos and would go as far as to say that without drinking enough water the weight won't come off. But I've had several people respond (including yourself ) to say that the amount of water they consumed didn't affect their weight loss. It's made be believe that there can be exceptions to the rule so I won't worry about water so much from now on. Thanks for the tips about carbs and I keep Sundays as my day of rest :-)

Alpine1994: 24 pounds off - impressive! congrats! I cannot wait for that day and I know it's doable. Thank you for congratulating me on my little milestone :-) I told someone I lost 2 kilos and they said "Really? I don't see it" So, your encouragement goes a long way :-) I am not on the pill anymore because of some side effects. I love the idea of just stretching and doing the warm up part...I'll include that right away! And yes, good luck to you too!

now_or_never: Thank you so much! I must make sure I keep an eye out for the sodium content from now on. I used to worry only about salt content. Will ensure I take a day off...:-)

Jennfranklin I have added you as my friend. Really nice to meet another person of around my height with similar goals as. WOW 35 pounds...that's fantastic...I'd love to know more about how you did it. Message me when you have time please...
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Congratulations on your decision to get healthy. Here are a few of my thoughts and what I believe.

1. Water is extremely important. You should drink 1/2 oz of water for each pound of body weight. If you feel thirsty, you are alread dehidrated. Sorry, but water is needed for several reasons. It is needed to keep your body functioning correctly, it is needed to wash out your body and move the toxins from between your cells, and the end product of losing weight is water, which needs to be flushed out as well. Your skin also needs the water, staying hydrated keeps you looking great.

2. Exercise is NOT how you lose weight. It is your diet that is most important. Excersize is great to help burn calories and tone your body, it will help you lose inches, but it causes the scale to fluxuate radically because your muscles need water to repair after a work out, so you will add on water weight. Also, remember, that you maybe losing fat, but putting on muscle. This will cause the scale to not move, or move slowly. However, you should see your loss in inches.

Just hang in there, as long as you are eating healthy, moving intentionally, and eating less calories than you need to maintain your body and exercise, you will lose fat.

NOW, I am also a Low Carb person, so My macros tend to be more like 40% protein, 30% Fat, 30% Carbs. Most of my Carbs come from fruit, not from grains.

Anyway, that is my $.02.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member

4. And this one is for the ladies - I have HORRIBLE cramping and pain during my periods so just cannot work out - all my hard work through out the month gets ruined with that 3-4 day break. Any advice on how I can maintain the momentum during that time?

I used to have the WORST TOM. Went to the doctor, and she recommended ibuprofen and moving my *kitten* (no joke, that's what she said). It was so easy for me to sit and wallow in pain--REALLY hard to get up off the couch and work out. Working out (for me anyway) eases the cramping and the lovely headache I get with mine. I would try working out anyway, no matter how bad the cramps are.
  • Phoenixchichi: I've sent you a friend request. Congrats on losing 9 pounds...we have similar goals I notice. Good luck to both of us...and most importantly...thank you for your words of wisdom...they help immensely.

Newcs: After reading your message as well as the others' I have started to realize how taking rest is as important. But i've just started out and I'm eager to keep up the momentum. If I let go even for a couple of days I fall off track. But yes, I've decided weekends will be dedicated to rest and recovery. Congrats on the 15 pound loss!

Kristen6022: :-) ok, I won't get on the scale and will try reducing my proteins for 3 weeks. Will message you how it goes. And many congratulations on the 41 pounds success.

RHSheetz: I nearly feel off my chair when I saw 182 pounds loss. Just seeing that is so inspiring! Water - I love drinking water but I feel bloated. I'll try maintaining a balance though. Will up my proteins as it's clearly worked for you and for so many others...at the same time I'll find a balance that suits my lifestyle as I know I have to maintain it life long. Your comments were so helpful. Thank you.
  • I used to have the WORST TOM. Went to the doctor, and she recommended ibuprofen and moving my *kitten* (no joke, that's what she said). It was so easy for me to sit and wallow in pain--REALLY hard to get up off the couch and work out. Working out (for me anyway) eases the cramping and the lovely headache I get with mine. I would try working out anyway, no matter how bad the cramps are.
    [/quote]

Thank you! Yes my doc suggested a pain killer as well and as much as I try to avoid them, I do end up taking one on my first day. I'll try moving my *kitten* as well LOL it needs to any ways. I won't do the Jillian Michaels DVDs but maybe some Yoga, some stretches...a walk...thanks for the tips! And congrats on your weight loss so far... :-)