Best time of day to workout?

Options
2»

Replies

• lindoussa
    Options
    I eat right after because of reasons that Ive convinced myself make sense cause it works with my body.

Wanna know the secret? Dont worry about the rule of thumb and start making a list of the rules of YOU. The things that work and dont work based on experiments! Do a week eating before and a week eating after and then - THEN MY FRIEND... you will know... for sure.

Great advice!!! Thank you :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the working out on an empty stomach thing is good for weights and strength training, not cardio babe :) you could get all whoozy
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    the working out on an empty stomach thing is good for weights and strength training, not cardio babe :) you could get all whoozy

Steady state cardio is fine to do fasted (with some caveats). The muscles used in low intensity cardio are primarily slow twitch which rely on fat and triglyceride oxidation for energy and performance should not be affected by being in a fasted state. However, if you're pushing really hard, you should probably eat something before and possibly during.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am sure many will not agree but here is what Dr Nick says Best time of day to lose fat is morning and unless you a medical problem you need to work out on an empty stomach. In the morning your body is starved for energy, You will burn up to 3 times as much body fat. This is for someone getting cut.

This is not the 1st time I have heard this and it is actually what my husband believes. I just felt like passing out when I did that yesterday.

I dont believe that is correct. Fasted training may improve fatty acid mobilization but mobilization issues typically only exist in already lean individuals.

I wouldn't worry at all about how much fat oxidation occurs during the training bout. Regardless of when you train, you're burning calories.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Steady state cardio is fine to do fasted (with some caveats). The muscles used in low intensity cardio are primarily slow twitch which rely on fat and triglyceride oxidation for energy and performance should not be affected by being in a fasted state. However, if you're pushing really hard, you should probably eat something before and possibly during.

^ is what I meant - i forget about the whole low intensity cardio world lol
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Fasted training may improve fatty acid mobilization but mobilization issues typically only exist in already lean individuals.

I wouldn't worry at all about how much fat oxidation occurs during the training bout. Regardless of when you train, you're burning calories.
    [/quote]

This is the right answer. For heavy/obese people in matters little.