Starting Over AGAIN......

Options
September 2010 I decided to get the 30+ pounds I had gain since I had gotten married in 2009. It took me a while but by September 2011 I finally lost 40 pounds and was very close to my goal. Between Thanksgiving and New Years of 2011 I gained back 20 pounds and now I'm back up to my original weight I weighed back in September 2010. I just don't know if I can keep doing this. I have struggled with my weight since I was 15. Now I'm 48 and I'm still struggling. Why don't I get it? I've read success stories where people say I finally got it and haven't haven't gained weight in (fill in the blank) years. I've tried Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Atkins, pills, shots, therapy and whatever diet of the month was. I wear my failure. I know people at work see me and see that my weight is back up. I know some people are going to say that I shouldn't care what other people think but let's all be realistic. WE DO. How many times do we fail and keep starting over? Just needed to put this out there. Feeling very low right now.

Replies

• tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I feel for you. I don't think I will ever "get" it. I have come a long way I know but right now every day is a struggle:grumble: This weekend I think I ate my weight in cookies:sad: All we can do is keep plugging away. We will get there:smile: add me as a friend if you'd like:flowerforyou:
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is an all too familiar cycle and I've been there as well. But it is different for me this time. I've lost the weight I wanted to lose and have maintained my weight since July. Why is it different this time? Because I've changed how I eat and reduced portion sizes. I've stopped eating so much sugar as I knew I couldn't maintain my weight feeding constant sugar cravings. I weigh myself everyday and make adjustments anytime the scale is more than 2 pounds out of range. I make sure I walk at least 3 miles a day according to my Fitbit. And I check in with MFP and my MFP friends daily to keep me on track.

Being significantly overweight brings a flurry of nasty diseases and ailments, most of which we can avoid completely by eating well and exercising. I'm at an age where I'm starting to see the impact of poor lifestyle choices in some of my friends and family. Been to some funerals too. Stacked against heart disease, stroke, diabetes, arthritis and having a significantly shortened life or one that's debilitated and thus a burden to my family...well, cookies, candy, desserts, and all the other excess calories I used to consume have absolutely no hold over me any more. I'm choosing a healthy lifestyle.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I've struggles with my weight since I was 15 too, and I'm now 46. I topped the scales in 2011 at 376. I've tried everything under the sun too. The last month has been particularly difficult. BUT we can do this. One moment at a time. All about learning to eat differently and deal with our stress points other than food.

We can do this though - if I can lose 100 pounds without surgery and by making gradual changes, you can do yours too!

Hang in there!
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well put, unfortunately I am one of those I keep remembering how I was only 2 lbs from goal a few years ago. I also ran 3x a week and loved working out.

Many surgeries later and 20 lbs heavier I have to drag myself to the gym. I was told that I have to stop looking at the past at where I was and look to the future and where I want to be and just tell myself that I'm not going back to that but I will move forward and be stronger and healthier than I was back then. I know it's easier said than done and I never seem to do it but we're all here in this together. Feel free to friend me and we'll do this together.
  • irisevelyn1
    irisevelyn1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting over again.....I'm 46 and has lost the weight and gained it back. I've tried every program. we can do it. I think we need the motivation to keep us real. don't give up! just keep on going. we can't fix yesterday. we do have choices today :)
  • mhaworth12
    mhaworth12 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I too am stating over... When reading your post i felt like I was writing it myself. I keep telling myself this is the last time and I do not want to fall into bad habits. I realized I don't even feel well when I eat like crap but somehow I keep going back to it.

I wish you great luck on this journey and hope once and for all we all reach our goals.