Trainer said I should be only consuming up to 850 cal

Options
..in order for me to lose my last 10 lbs. So I told him that I've always thought that if I go under 1000 calories, my body is going to go in starvation mode. He told me that it depends upon the person. I'm just worried that if I change my calorie intake to 850, I'm gonna go into starvation mode. Anyone in here actually ate 850 cal/day and lost weight? ANd if so, how did you manage 850 cal/day?

Replies

• 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but that's insane. 850 calories isn't enough for anyone to survive on. Just my opinion and I'm sure there will be others...but that just doesn't sound healthy.
  • iamalexa
    Options
    I stayed under 1000 calories for about a month and thats how I lost my first 10 pounds or so actually.
    BUT my doctor however disagreed and told me I should NOT be doing this and was very upset with the days I was eatin 500 cals or so...I probably wouldnt reccommend it but you know your body and if its hungry dont deny it but if your full why feed it!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    What are his certifications? Because 850 cals sounds ultra-shady to me. Like, he calls himself a trainer, but his certificate is in training seals.
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    :huh:

850 calories per day?

Are you sure of this person's credentials?

......I would be seriously skeptical.

Everything I've heard about losing the last ten has said you need LESS of a deficit and you will just have to lose more slowly.
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    What are his certifications? Because 850 cals sounds ultra-shady to me. Like, he calls himself a trainer, but his certificate is in training seals.

I totall agree here!
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    He's actually the training manager. He told me that calorie intake varies for each people.
  • pavang82
    pavang82 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I stayed under 1000 calories for about a month and thats how I lost my first 10 pounds or so actually.
    BUT my doctor however disagreed and told me I should NOT be doing this and was very upset with the days I was eatin 500 cals or so...I probably wouldnt reccommend it but you know your body and if its hungry dont deny it but if your full why feed it!
    Just curious if you've gained weight when started eating more calories?
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    Very odd because I was discussing this with my ob/gyn and she told me that it is okay to "short term" reduce calories to boost your weight loss. 850 is the same amount she told me and mentioned that when she has an obese patient that wants to get started with weight loss she puts them on proteins shakes and the 850 for a week then increases to 1000. I haven't tried it, so I can't say anything about starving. Hope this helps!
  • ractayjon
    Options
    I think you need to check this trainer out -- 850 suggested to lose weight makes no sense...every trainer I know will up your exercise so you eat more ! check him/her out and keep with what you have been successful at so far!
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Is he saying 850 PLUS your exercise calories? If he's not then i would say he is WRONG, Yes you may lose a quick 10 pounds BUT your body cannot survive that long on that low when you are bustin your humo in the gym. Some days I burn way more than what you are eating per day! STARVATION MODE is true! Lot's of time Personal trainers do not admit the are NOT nutritionist and really are NOT to give out that information. THEY are to instruction fitness only and send you to the one who knows nutrition!!! If you are working put everyday I would say do not go lower than 1200 and eat at least half your fitness cals, slow and steady will win your race, but then again I will ADMIT I am NO nutritionist. Happy workouts and and be smart on your food choices!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just remember most trainers are not nutritionists. Although most trainers are well versed in nutrition, if you want the the best information see a registered dietitian or nutritionist.
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    I am currently working on my training cert and nutrition certification. My eyes have been opened tremendously throughout this process. There are no real "standards" for training certification (problem #1). Most certifications that I have researched are purely training moves...no nutrition training (problem #2). To top all of this off...last statistics I heard were that 15% of doctors receive a nutrition class and that averages 30 minutes. Soooooo....I would gather as much info as I could based on your own body and trust your instincts. The best thing to do is to go see a dietician or a doctor that specializes in this field. Easier said than done. But I would be very wary of anyone who is not qualified of taking you below 1000-1200 calories a day. I wish you luck...and good health!
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    850?? That's too low. And what happens when it's time to maintain???
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    850?? That's too low. And what happens when it's time to maintain???
  • frenchybowiggler
    Options
    I am studying to be a personal trainer and your trainer is not allowed to even tell you that. Unless he is a physician or a nutritionist, he is not supposed to tell you how many calories you should be taking in. Also if you are working out, you need to eat more calories... I would drop that trainer and get one that knows their job... The tools on this website are much more accurate in my opinion or weight watchers... but that's only because I have tried them...Good luck!
  • arasm
    arasm Posts: 65
    Options
    I have to agree with all. 850 a day is insane! & WITH exercise? no way! I mean I guess it could drop the weight BUT you would feel like crap & I'm sure would put some if not all back on once you started to consume higher calories again.
  • 11kimberly11
    11kimberly11 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    FIRE HIM!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    He's actually the training manager. He told me that calorie intake varies for each people.
    That's correct - caloric needs vary from person to person. 850 calories might be perfectly correct for you. If you are 3'6" tall and weigh 60 pounds. :laugh:
  • iamalexa
    Options
    Just curious if you've gained weight when started eating more calories?

Nope! It has been about the same amount of weight lost per week for me. But I also struggle eating 1200 plus some exercise calories. So I guess either way it works for me, but I would rather not take the chances of starvation anymore i guess so i force myself to eat them. Also if you do go with 850 calories make sure they are protiens and good foods plus lots of veggies. So maybe you would be in starvation but at least you would get some nutrients?? Thats just my opinion and Im not qualified with this stuff i just do what works!
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I know I couldn't do it. I could wipe that out in 1 meal and a snack. It doesn't sound healthy at all. I'd ask your doctor. Besides, if you're trying to loose weight and keep it off you have to change your life style. You're not really going to spend the rest of your life eating that little are you?