Shhh! I am Sleeping!!!

Options
I was just wondering the effect that my lack of sleep could be having on my weight gain and loss.... I am the queen of staying up ..... I have even stayed up til 3 in the morning and then turned around and got up at 7:45 to get ready for work! If any one has any one has any answers let me know . Thanks!:yawn:

Replies

• Sing1outloud
    Sing1outloud Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering the effect that my lack of sleep could be having on my weight gain and loss.... I am the queen of staying up ..... I have even stayed up til 3 in the morning and then turned around and got up at 7:45 to get ready for work! If any one has any one has any answers let me know . Thanks!:yawn:
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I never watch The Biggest Loser, but last night my husband was flicking through the channels and landed on it when the girl trainer, forgot her name, was giving tips and the one she said was that you need at least 8 hours of sleep to help your metabolism.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    sing, I have the same problem. I rarely go to bed before 4:00 AM. I do most of my workouts at night, and then eat afterwards. I originally started workouts at night to keep me from TV and the inevitable eating that accompanies TV.

I also have a brain disorder that I take stimulant drugs for. They aren't helpful for sleep, either. Maybe we should chat on the chat thing late at night (the chat that banks set up )

I am at that last stubborn ten pounds to lose, and it's hard to stay focused. I know that TV and computers make it difficult to go to bed, too - your brain is more stimulated, plus the light keeps your bio-clock thinking it's daytime. Viscious circle.

:yawn:

and, yes, Jillian Michaels said get 7-9 hours sleep. I do that, but my day is half gone when I get up at noon!
  • RobbinE33
    Options
    hey there! Sleep is a major regulator of sleep and metabolism. There has actually been a LOT of research done on this. Research has proven that lack of sleep can up regulate ghrelin, which is the hormone that triggers hunger. It has also been show to decrease leptin which is the hormone that tells you you're full. This usually happens when you are constantly depriving your body of sleep, so if you have a late night every once and awhile don't sweat it but if it's the usual for you, try to work on not being such a nightowl.:)
  • RobbinE33
    Options
    oops, i meant *hormones & metabolism. SORRY :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    oops, i meant *hormones & metabolism. SORRY :)

You can edit your posts for up to an hour. Just open your post, click edit, do the change and "save changes"

Your way works just as well. Ignore me, I'm avoiding my life right now. :wink:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Well I am screwed then! I am a night owl and I get on average 6 hours a night. Guess I need to get off the computer and tv late night and catch some zzzzzzz's