What do you eat/drink after a workout?

Options
I typically work out in the morning before I start work...and find if I don't have something satisfying before the hunger hits I will be wanting to eat like crazy the rest of the day..also hearing protein after a workout is a good idea anyways...

I typically grab some brown rice salmon sushi from the grocery store next to the gym( guy making it fresh..yum) or I make one of the pineapple coconut smoothies(286 calories) before hand to have ready when I get home...very filling for me....more so than the sushi..

What do you have?

smoothie recipe:
http://www.theyummylife.com/recipes/231/Pineapple+Coconut+Milk+Smoothie

Replies

• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    mmm protein. Ranging from small child to unhatched baby chickens. Love me some protien.
  • Ravepixie87
    Options
    I workout on only coffee and fat then have pea protein powder and more fat after (I use coconut oil)
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    If AM: 30g Whey Iso, 30g Whey Hydro, 10g Casein Hydro, 5g Creatine, 6g Leucine, over-ripe banana.

If PM: Same as above + froyo w/ Reece's cups and hot fudge or large DQ Blizzard with extra Reece's cups.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I usually go home and eat lunch about 1 to 2 hours after lifting. I tend to eat protein dense meals.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat 4-5 hours after I workout. Usually consisting of sweet potatoes and either fish or chicken.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    If AM: 30g Whey Iso, 30g Whey Hydro, 10g Casein Hydro, 5g Creatine, 6g Leucine, over-ripe banana.

You forgot the glutamine bro
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options

NO2 as well
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

You said that last time! How many times to I have to tell you Reece's Cups are straight Glutamine, brah.
  • craigineson
    craigineson Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Water.
    Some BCAAs (I train fasted)

Probably eat a couple of hours later.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Here is a pretty good article on post workout nutrition. It helped me greatly in the beginning, from a recovery standpoint.

http://www.intense-workout.com/post_workout.html
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Chocolate milk
  • Buettner22
    Buettner22 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of chocolate soy milk because it helps with endurance, builds muscle, reduces fat, and seems to help me recover quicker.
  • jackems
    jackems Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My favorite workout snack is greek yogurt, but I also like to have fruit (preferably a banana) or a protein smoothie.
  • Proudmumofboys
    Options
    Normally in the am, while I'm getting the kids ready for school and before the gym, I have a Low Fat whole grain waffle w/ .5 tsp of peanut butter.. great for on the go! then I take either a banana, clementine, or grapes w/ me, along w/ a protien bar for right after my work out.. Cottage cheese is also a good snack for after a work out.. You need to eat something before and after a work out and LOTS AND LOTS OF WATER!