Gluten free

Options
Hi, anyone out there trying to follow a gf diet? I find that all of the bakery products, such as bread, crackers, cakes and biscuits (even homemade) contain shed loads more calories and fat than the non gf version.

Would love some gf friends to share recipes with.

I have not been diagnosed with coeliac as my results keep coming back negative but my doctor has asked me to follow a gf diet anyway.

xx Claire

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I follow a gluten free lifestyle, but don't partake in any of those packaged bakery products.

Why not learn to do without the things that bring you misery in your health?
  • sprinkels29
    Options
    I follow a gluten free lifestyle, but don't partake in any of those packaged bakery products.

Why not learn to do without the things that bring you misery in your health?

Same here, I just stay away from all of that. Eating clean I prepare everything myself, I do eat whole wheat bread made by Daves Killer bread once in awhile but they are smaller pieces(no added crap), other than that lettuce wrapped turkey burgers taste WAY better than bread ones! :D

I don't have celiacs just a gluten sensitivity due to my IBS.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    I live a GF lifestyle and I try to not eat manufactured GF products. I do my own baking and avoid non-GF products altogether. It was very difficult at first, as I love breads/pastas/sweets but once I eliminated those from my diet I felt a million times better.

Feel free to befriend me and I'd gladly help you/give you advice.
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Hey I am GF because of awful indigestion. I find that though the GF foods may be lower in calories, they are much much higher in sodium, so i tend to avoid gf foods where possible and just eat things that are naturally gf
  • CrazyCatLadylovescats
    Options
    I am doing grain free. I have found that if I search for "Paleo pancakes" or whatever Paleo on the front, that lots of recipes come up. I don't do these often, just once in a while so I can eat stuff with my kids.

I pan fry zucchini squash and use that in place of pasta when we have spaghetti. Mostly, I make stir fries and curries and just do without the rice.

Other than a gluten free cake mix that I made when we had celiac kids coming to a party, I haven't tried any pre-made or mixes. Mostly because they are expensive and I live very frugally.
  • treagal
    treagal Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I am not celiac but limit the gluten. I have a really good gluten free recipe for bananna coconut muffins. I'll send it to you...the kids will love it.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys,

I do try and eat 'clean' as much as possible and I stay well clear of packet mixes of gf food as I prefer to make my own - but I still hanker after a bit of bread every now and again and maybe a mince pie at christmas lol.

My fave clean brekkie is banana pancake - it is literally one banana and one egg whizzed up with a teaspoon of cinnamon and fried using a little coconut oil - if the banana is ripe enough no need for sugar!!! tada.

I use courgettes sliced really finely for spaghetti bol - its actually not THAT much different.

Any other clean ideas would be welcome :)
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free as well, and tend to stick with the naturally gluten free foods. It helps me to stay away from a lot of processed foods too. One of my friends who cooks some desserts for her son who is on a gf diet uses honey, squash/pumpkin, almond flour, and some honey to make a muffin/bread. I have not tried it, but it sounded good.

I use the Trader Joe's Wheat free waffles because sometimes I just want "bread". They taste good to me, and are also reasonably priced where I live.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have no complaints about Udi's products or Canyon Bakehouse. Unless you REALLY have celiac disease, I am thinking that to try to forego bread and pasta completely would be to deprive yourself to the point where you will be bound to EXPLODE from frustration at some point.