CPM Knee Machines

Options
Worth renting out for after an Patellar ACL reconstruction or not? Seems the common thing I hear from folks who have had this time of surgery is the complaint of not being able to bend the knee more than 90 degrees, however I have heard if you start on this machine within days of surgery for 2-4weeks and highly recommended by ortho-surgeons, it greatly increases flexibility, , helps with pain and swelling and cuts down on scar tissue issues. It's about $350 for a 2week rental, so I'm trying to figure out from someone who has used one if it's worth it or not. Also, any thoughts on knee ice sleeves?

Replies

• DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    *bump* :)
  • shade0343
    shade0343 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I understand the comment about not being able to bend the knee more than 90 degrees. Do you mean immediately or ever? I had the ACL reconstruction and I can touch my heel to my butt. What was critical was to do EXACTLY what the surgeon and the therapist told me to do. The resistance band work was not fun. It did seem to make a difference regarding how quickly I recovered flexibility.
  • stephfilako
    stephfilako Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    When I had my ACL reconstruction I woke up from surgery with it on and moving. I would think this was a standard of care not an "option". Have you discussed this with your ortho doc. I had it at home with me for weeks to improve my flexibility and I was also in PT within days.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I am an Orthopaedic Surgical Coordinator and all my knee docs recommend it. It is not mandatory but the patients that do use it progress at a faster rate. When insurance doesnt cover it and patient's dont want to pay, the docs will tellt hem they will see how they are doing after the first 1-2 weeks of phsyical therapy then they decide at that point if they will make it mandatory.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)