day one of new goal

Options
Well, I have been at this for nearly 11 months now, and while I have had alot of success I am by no means done. I told myself last March that when I lost 100 pounds I would begin on my second goal of being able to run a mile. Mind you, I have not not ran 20 steps in 20 years, not something a 326 pound person does typically, or at least not this one! Also, i have been on a plateau for awhile, a couple weeks now, and needed to change things up a bit as I think my body is getting too comfortable with doing mostly spinning for cardio..

so, this morning i worked up the courage to get on the treadmill. I don't know how what i did stacks up with others, and to me it doesnt really matter, just the fact I got on it and tried for the first time in 20 years was a huge success for me! I went 6 laps, 1/4 mile laps. on each lap i fast walked at 3.5 mph for the first half (it was fast for me) and then jogged the second half of each lap at 4.5 mph. I did this for all 6 laps, and finished in around 25 minutes. I know this isnt great, or maybe not even good, for most people, but for me.. total success. My goal, besides losing the other 35 pounds I have left to lose, is to be able to run a mile straight in 2010. Doesn't sound like much, but for me, it would be a huge, huge accomplishment. Today was day 1 on that journey. After this i followed it with 30 minutes of resistance training... so im tired LOL

Hopefully this will also jumpstart my body again by changing up my routine.

Just had to share.. put my goals in writing... so thanks for listening! :)

Dana

Replies

• pocostef
    Options
    That's a good goal! I find running on the treadmill quite difficult, so I do it when I feel I want a challenge - I don't know how far I went, though. :tongue:
  • jsjaclark
    Options
    Great job on losing 100 pounds and getting on the treadmill. 6 laps/25 minutes is a huge accomplishment for someone who hasn't been walking/running in a long time. Keep up the good work.
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Dana- Congratulations! You are inspiring. I imagine you have faced many challenges when it comes to reaching the goals you have already achieved. What you did on the treadmill is no small thing and more importantly it is the springboard step from which you will reach your next goal. So, no need to minimize....what you did was great. Keep up the amazing determination. You will reach that mile...one step at a time.
  • StaceG1986
    Options
    I can only echo what the other posters have said!!

Great job!! :drinker:
  • SugarHi
    SugarHi Posts: 452
    Options
    Very motivating! Great job on your weightloss by the way! Every step counts, and every step taken... well feels pretty darn good! :flowerforyou:
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Thanks for sharing!
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You are doing Fantastic....Keep doing it, it will get better each day. You are Amazing!!!!:happy:
  • tlgillespie
    tlgillespie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You did great! Awesome job!