Traveling with supplements...

Options
If you take vitamin supplements and travel, how do you carry them along with you? I find that Fish oil and Calcium sups are really big and don't fit in those small vitamin cases you can buy from CVS, but my BCAAs and Chondroitin capsules look exactly alike so I cant put them in the same container without mixing them up. Any body have any ideas on how I can separate and keep track of my sups when I am travelling?

Replies

• Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Good question. I was wondering the same thing.
  • Noflexing
    Noflexing Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    easiest thing to do is not take them, the word supplement means they're supplemented not necessary just eat the foods that give the same vitamin. I don't take any supplements at all and I don't eat vegetables at all i just eat different foods that provide the same nutrition.
  • JG1088
    JG1088 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B56IFU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000SN6GES&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0X2D52GDCVZ7CHWP4Z3B

That way I can label them, they're tiny so I put my fish oil, multi, etc in them, label them, they put them in a travel soap container
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I put them in my checked bag.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Fast and easy...

When travelling abroad with prescription or over-the-counter medication:

Pack all medications in their original, labelled containers;
    Do not combine medications into a single container;
    Pack an extra supply of medication in case you are away for longer than expected; and
    Carry a copy of the original prescription and ensure that both the generic and trade names of the medication are included in case of loss or theft.

taken from
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/new_york/consul/travelling-with-prescription-medication_voyager-avec-des-medicaments.aspx?view=d

Supplements should perhaps be treated the same, they're OTC no? Depending on where you're headed....
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    How long are you travelling? You can pre pack the amounts you will need in small containers. When I went to Florida in October I just counted everything out for how many days I was there and only took that amounts with me. A store here sold small pill containers (think the size and look of the small 24 caplet Advil containers) which I stored the vitamins and such in and put them in my luggage.

If you are flying you may not be able to take them on your carry on but checked luggage should be fine.

You can always put them in plastic bags that you write on what they are and than put all of them into a plastic container. I have done that in the past too.
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My stuff fits in the pill cases from CVS (they have bigger ones than the standard at the CVS near me as well) but if they didn't, I'd probably use snack bags that have the zip top or if you want to do them by day, get the little bags they use for jewelry and stuff and use those (bead stores and other craft stores likely have them - not sure how clean or food safe they are but then again, how clean are regular pill cases?)
  • stresco
    stresco Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My stuff fits in the pill cases from CVS (they have bigger ones than the standard at the CVS near me as well) but if they didn't, I'd probably use snack bags that have the zip top or if you want to do them by day, get the little bags they use for jewelry and stuff and use those (bead stores and other craft stores likely have them - not sure how clean or food safe they are but then again, how clean are regular pill cases?)

They really fit? Fish oil and Calcium are huge, and they are 3 pills each per day. If I am travelling for 3 or more days, they dont fit in any of those pill cases that I can find.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options
    I just take my one Multi-Vit/Mineral supplement when I travel. No way I'm taking anything unecessary. If you are going for a week or two, you won't even notice feeling any different. Especially if it's Calcium and Fish Oil. Your bones won't snap in two, honest.

But then, I can go anywhere for a week with just my one carry-on, so....
  • stresco
    Options

Same here. The only time I have more than my carry-on is when I am out of the country for a couple of weeks. That's why I am looking for a compact option to carrying all those huge supplement bottles with me.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use a pill bottle for vitamins and fish oils. only 2 pill types I take so they don't get confused.

For powders and all the pre/post workout stuff, I scoop it out into ziplock snack size bags. Measure out a full drinks worth into a bag. ie: protein, creatine, glutamine etc. into a single bag so I just add water or milk and shake. I can fit about a week's worth of baggies into a large shaker cup that goes into my bag. (as long as you press out the air) I have not been questioned or hassled by TSA yet so I guess it's within the allotted amounts for opened powders.
  • YaGigi
    YaGigi Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I travel for work often and I always carry my vitamins with me AND extra pills for some situations (allergies, pain relief and others). So I have a small pharmacy make up case filled with small zip locks.
    If it was that easy to pack all my skin care and hair things...

I don't check in any luggage, pills are allowed on a plane, even international flights.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I picked up some of those little clear zipper bags at Hobby Lobby for some odd project a while back and I found that if I need to go somewhere for a couple of days, I would just take out a days worth and put it in a bag and do that for how ever many days I'll be gone. You can then put the little bags in an old pill bottle and have them all presorted and ready to go.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,994 Member
    Options

Same here. The only time I have more than my carry-on is when I am out of the country for a couple of weeks. That's why I am looking for a compact option to carrying all those huge supplement bottles with me.

You missed the part where I said I leave them at home :tongue:

You could use ziplock baggies - but then you have the problem stated above by Pandorian - if you can't prove what they are, you could have a Customs problem.

For tow weeks, do without them. You'll be fine, honest. Just eat well! Much easier and cheaper.
  • stresco
    Options

You missed the part where I said I leave them at home :tongue:

You could use ziplock baggies - but then you have the problem stated above by Pandorian - if you can't prove what they are, you could have a Customs problem.

For tow weeks, do without them. You'll be fine, honest. Just eat well! Much easier and cheaper.

No, I didnt miss it ;) When I travel, its for work. Most of the time I am at my client's mercy as to where and what we eat. Sometimes I end up eating 1 meal over a 24 hour stretch of work. It's not easy keeping up with my training and nutrition, so I actually need my supplements.