My ankle hurts

Options
Hi guys!

I am in need of suggestions. I injured my left ankle (pulled tendon) about 4-5 months ago. I went to the doctor who said basically no working out, stay off it as much as possible and take meds for pain for about 8-12 weeks. Well I've done that and my ankle still bothers me. The doctor said that because of my weight and the fact that I use my foot at all would make it harder to heal. I want to work out, but my ankle hurts...

Any ideas about what exercises I can do? Prior to the injury I was doing zumba and Turbo fire. I have a weightloss goal that i feel is being delayed because of my ankle injury. I should mention that walking too much causes pain as well (that's what I most recently tried)

Thanks for the advice!

Replies

• monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I have a foot injury and sometimes you have to wrap it up and stick to easier stuff for exercise. I would get a really good pair of shoes and some sort of ankle support. You'll have to be patient, walk short walks and eat the calories based on your new activity level. I know it took a while to drop enough weight for my ankle to reduce in pain. It's still annoying so I have to lose more weight and that just takes time.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    have you tried wrapping your ankle for a week or so? I ask this because about 10 years I had a minor break in my foot. When the foot was healed, I started having issues in my calf from the way I had been walking to compensate for the foot. I got a simple ankle wrap ( the kind that goes under your foot and around your ankle, with a cut out for your heel--you pull it on) and wore it for about a week or so, and I stopped getting the calf cramps.

As for exercise, do you belong it a gym? You might enjoy doing some strength training. I do both, and honestly, I don't even break a sweat on the treadmill anymore...but let me get over in the strength area, and I break a sweat in minutes! By the time I am done with my strength, I am so worn out I am shaking, even though most of the exercises are done sitting down!
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'll check out an ankle brace. I've wrapped my ankle before with just an ace bandage though it probably wasn't enough support.

I don't belong to a gym (I have issues with the gym) but I do have resistance bands so maybe I can do some work with them.

Thanks!!!
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement! I've used an ace bandage but someone suggested something more of an ankle brace so I'm going to see if that helps!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You will not slow down your weight loss without exercise. Diet is weight loss, exercise is fitness. When you exercise, you are supposed to eat more. If you want to exercise, try swimming or weight training. WT is much better for you than cardio in terms of fat loss. You will also help maintain your lean body mass this way. Additionally, if you want a cardio effect, do an anaerobic workout where you do lower and upper body together. It's low impact and will get your heart rate up (stuff like squats with overhead press or lunges with curls..)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and encouragement! I've used an ace bandage but someone suggested something more of an ankle brace so I'm going to see if that helps!

I used something like this http://www.drugstore.com/wellgate-for-women-slimfit-ankle-support/qxp338105?catid=184098 back then. I think maybe your stride has changed unknowingly to protect the injury. Once you *know* that it is supported and OK, you will be able to relax, and maybe walk correctly.