Half Marathon

Options
Hello all half and full marathon runnings! Well I have taken the challenge to run in my first 1/2 Marathon in May. Running is my new hobby and I am going to push myself to run 13.1 miles. The longest I've run so far has been a 10k. I am just looking for training advice. I went on to view the runnersworld.com training program, which would work, but I was just seeing if other runners had suggestions. I want to incorporate cross training also as I love to cycle.

Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPod, there is a free PodCast on iTunes called PodRunner. It has C25K training programs all the way up to Marathon.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I used the runner's world training programs for all of my 1/2's and for my full. They are really good. If you intend to use cycling as your cross training, you can on your non-running days, ensure that you go pretty easy. Your legs will be under enough punishment from the running that you don't need to pound them on the bike too. You may want to occasionally get off your legs all together and hit the pool. Then you open up the wonderful? world of Triathlons too. Just be careful not to over do it on your legs. Good luck!
  • angelwings2000
    angelwings2000 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I admire you, but have never been able to bring myself to run. Have fun with the whole process! :flowerforyou:
  • gym_rat
    Options
    I used Hal Higdon's half marathon training programs for the 2 I ran last fall. It really worked for me. I followed it exactly.
  • startfromscratch
    Options
    That's awesome! I'm doing the same thing. The half marathon I am running in is in November, so I've got some time to get it together. Sometimes the races have official training programs so that you can prepare for them with others.

Here are some other training programs that I've looked into:
    http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/index.htm
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html
    http://running.about.com/od/halfmarathonprograms/HalfMarathon_Training_Programs.htm
  • princesspurple
    Options
    Hi there....I am also using Hal Higdon's 1/2 marathon training schedule. I am planning on running my 1st on 4/11.. I am on my 4th week of training...it is going very well! I am so excited!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My first half, I too had only done a 10K up to that point, but I was doing 10K training runs 2-3 times a week for a about 5 weeks before the half marathon. By that time, I had built up more endurance and easily finished the half. Soon after that, I did my first full.

While my training is definitely not for everyone, I wouldn't underestimate race day positivity and competition as performance enhancers.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. What's funny is the first time I looked up trainings I came across Hal Hidgon's. I think I am going to use an modify version of Hals in order to incorporate my cycling. What do people say about weight training while preparing for the 1/2 marathon? I currently lift four day per week in muscle groups. I will be honest to say I hate lifting my legs as they become so sore and it is difficult for me to run because they are sore. I always stretch a ton, but they never seem to get used to lifting. I know building muscle is important, but doesn't cycling and running incorporate that or am I just trying to get out of lifting my legs?
  • princesspurple
    Options
    I did 7 miles yesterday morning! My longest run ever. It was exciting. I did it w/ an average of a 10 minute mile. How is everyone doing?
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. What's funny is the first time I looked up trainings I came across Hal Hidgon's. I think I am going to use an modify version of Hals in order to incorporate my cycling. What do people say about weight training while preparing for the 1/2 marathon? I currently lift four day per week in muscle groups. I will be honest to say I hate lifting my legs as they become so sore and it is difficult for me to run because they are sore. I always stretch a ton, but they never seem to get used to lifting. I know building muscle is important, but doesn't cycling and running incorporate that or am I just trying to get out of lifting my legs?
    It depends on your goal for the half marathon. If you are running to get the fastest time possible then drop the strength training until the run is over. You want as little body weight as possible. If you need to lift for some reason go ultra light and high rep. As far as lifting with your legs, no no no. Your legs will get enough of a workout from the runs, let them rest on non running days.

P.S. I'm using Hal Higdon's plan for the full marathon. I wouldn't go modifying it if you don't have to. There is a very good structure to it and the days are arranged the way they are for a reason. Good luck. Reach out to me if you want or need any advice or have questions. :drinker:
  • princesspurple
    Options
    chgudnitz ....I altered the long runs because i dont want to run 10 miles on the 11th week, then run 13.1 miles the next. I want to be ready. Hal's long Sun runs are 4/4/5/5/6/5k race/7/8/10k race/9/10/half marathon....i changed it to 4/5/6/7/7/8/9/10/12/14 or 12/half marathon
    What do you think about this?
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    chgudnitz ....I altered the long runs because i dont want to run 10 miles on the 11th week, then run 13.1 miles the next. I want to be ready. Hal's long Sun runs are 4/4/5/5/6/5k race/7/8/10k race/9/10/half marathon....i changed it to 4/5/6/7/7/8/9/10/12/14 or 12/half marathon
    What do you think about this?
    One of the things you are losing by making that change is the step back week. Note the 5k and 10k in his plan are steps back from the week before. Just watch you aren't leading to mild burn out. The lighter weeks are as important as the heavy weeks.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    AAAAhhhhh! That makes sense....do you think though i should try to do a run closer to the 13.1 mile mark prior to the half?
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    No, not at all. There is really no significant difference in the 10 mile run and the 13.1 from the race.
  • Mom2Ryleigh
    Options
    Awesome goal! I am right there with you---running in a half at the end of April. I have run this before but it was 2 years ago because last year I was pregnant! My biggest challenge is finding the time to train in between work, my baby, and home duties. WE CAN DO IT!