Is 20min a day enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It might take you a little more time but it is totally worth it, it tones up as you lose weight & just an elliptical would not tone you the same way.. stick to it & you will surely see progress !
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    If your diet is right 0mins/day is enough.

This.

Hey! You can't can't say 'THIS' to your own post! :laugh:
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    For the weight loss or for improved fitness? Exercise will supplement but diet is key in losing weight. I go cycling and running for fitness and fun, not for weight loss. Do something you enjoy to help tighten up and improve your general well being. I also use it to occupy my time and stop boredom snacking :-)
  • shellux
    shellux Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have just completed the 30 day shred. I thoroughly enjoyed it but found that I didn't burn enough calories so I did 10-15 mins on my exercise bike first then 20 mins of 30DS. I haven't lost any weight and no significant inches. Feel a bit firmer but have not starved myself so didn't really expect too much. To have committed to something for 30 days is the biggest achievement for me as I usually run from any type of commitment.

Am now looking at Fitness Blender on you tube who do a variety of HIIT cardio and strength training.

30DS is a great way to start though.

Good luck
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I actually would only do the 30DS 3 times a week. It's not really meant to be a daily workout. If it's easy for you, you should go up a level.

HUH??? If each of the three levels is done for 10 days, then you have to do it EVERY day for it to be a 30-DAY shred. I'm pretty sure it IS meant to be a daily workout for 30 days in a row. (I've been wrong before but...)

There are no instructions to that effect included in the DVD. I've seen MANY references online that in an interview, Jillian Michael's said it was never intended to be a daily workout. But I've never been able to find that interview myself. Nowhere does she say do each level for 10 days - you should do the level appropriate to your ability. And she also doesn't say to do it for 30 days straight. I thought the same thing when I started it until I got injured on day 9. That's when I did my research to the methodology and realized that wasn't what she intended (or likely wasn't). I never did go back to the workout though - I was out of commission for 2 weeks and then did something else.
  • laylaness
    laylaness Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I actually would only do the 30DS 3 times a week. It's not really meant to be a daily workout. If it's easy for you, you should go up a level.

HUH??? If each of the three levels is done for 10 days, then you have to do it EVERY day for it to be a 30-DAY shred. I'm pretty sure it IS meant to be a daily workout for 30 days in a row. (I've been wrong before but...)

There are no instructions to that effect included in the DVD. I've seen MANY references online that in an interview, Jillian Michael's said it was never intended to be a daily workout. But I've never been able to find that interview myself. Nowhere does she say do each level for 10 days - you should do the level appropriate to your ability. And she also doesn't say to do it for 30 days straight. I thought the same thing when I started it until I got injured on day 9. That's when I did my research to the methodology and realized that wasn't what she intended (or likely wasn't). I never did go back to the workout though - I was out of commission for 2 weeks and then did something else.

Um, she says to do each level for 10 days at the beginning of the video, but you can go longer if you don't feel ready to move on. She's recommended in Q&As to use her videos 5 days a week, with 2 rest days at any time you want.

OP, I had good results with 30DS and a once-a-week Pilates class. I lost a total of 11 inches by the end. I only lost 3 pounds, though, so don't get discouraged if you don't see the scale move. Good luck!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Um, she says to do each level for 10 days at the beginning of the video, but you can go longer if you don't feel ready to move on. She's recommended in Q&As to use her videos 5 days a week, with 2 rest days at any time you want.

OP, I had good results with 30DS and a once-a-week Pilates class. I lost a total of 11 inches by the end. I only lost 3 pounds, though, so don't get discouraged if you don't see the scale move. Good luck!

http://jillianmichaels30dayshredreviewx.com/
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

I stand corrected. Still, if you're not in shape, you very likely will get injured if you do it every day.

And for the record, my video does not have anything at the beginning giving instructions. I looked at everything on that DVD for them!
  • fitterguy
    Options
    Sports science has confirmed 20 min high intensity workouts equivalent to 60 mins steady state medium intensity cardio (treadmill for example) - And you create an after burn which burns fat up to 18 hours after your workout. So less time and more fat burned - seems like a no brainer. If your fat loss is stalled, chances are it is diet related, not exercise. Six packs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.

Pick 4 exercises. Do them back to back for 50 secs each, no rest with a 30 sec rest between rounds. Do 3 rounds, increasing to 4. Mix it up, but always lift something, pull something, press something, squat something. Focus on large muscle groups which eat up the most fat/energy. You'll never get a 6 pack working your upper body which contains less than 50% of overall skeletal muscle.

If intensity is not enough, increase weight, do it faster etc. Never an excuse for intensity level.

Finally, attitude. You have to want it - to get it.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

I do mine from youtube. I first read the instruction on ehow.com haha

I stand corrected. Still, if you're not in shape, you very likely will get injured if you do it every day.

And for the record, my video does not have anything at the beginning giving instructions. I looked at everything on that DVD for them!