What's the best thing to do?

Options
Hi guys
On sunday I went home to make a lovely healthy vegan dinner and I did but then about an hour or so later I went on a full bad binge totally destroying my two weeks eating clean and healthy. I had two bowls of oats, cocoa rice snaps x2 bowls, chocolate biscuits x3 and three slices of toast white bread.

I felt so sick and was in incredible pain until now. I fought throwing it all up even though it would of made me feel better but I didn't. I'm panicking and stressing about gaining any weight from it. What is the best thing to do now? I know just get back on the wagon is the main thing but how do i stop this? It happens everytime I go down home! please help me
many thanks in advance
Jacqs

Replies

• closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    We have all had these days. Just forgive yourself and move on. Just need to remember that it take 3500 extra calories to gain a pound which is alot!! So, I doubt you well gain much if anything. The scale may lie for a day or two but you got to trust the numbers. (calories in/calories out/calories per pound). To avoid it, I keep foods around that are zero or low calories. Pickles are a great snack because they are 0 calories so you can have as many as you like. Also, I keep dark chocolate around because it takes just a few pieces to curb a craving for sweets. Anyway, good luck and keep your head up. Its only one bad day! And, if it happens again, go for a long walk or get some sort of excersize in to combat the calorie gain. It will make you feel a little better!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    as closenre said, forgive yourself and move on.

just last night i ate a bunch of oatmeal raisin cookie dough, followed by FIVE of the freshly made cookies.

they were damned delicious. don't regret it! i logged them and forgave myself. they were homemade after all, with ground flaxseed, organic butter, organic oatmeal and dark chocolate. omnoms
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I use to do the exact same thing when I went to visit my parents. I'd pig out on my dads snacks for work and my mom would purposely get me chocolate because she knows I love it.

I just told them to stop doing groceries and I would purchase some when I got there to help me not splurge - as much. I'm still a sucker for the pizza and wings back home and my moms cooking. However, I try my best to moderate what I have and not have large portions. The last time I went home - guilty - I had a 1/2 a large pizza and 8 fried chicken wings and I was still hungry. I felt awful myself after eating all this because I generaly eat really well. I also have IBS which doesn't help.

Get your own groceries and moderate what you have!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Ok so you ate a bunch of crap...like the others said, nothing you can do to go back and fix it so forgiveness is step #1. Step #2, as you already noted is getting back on track. Step #3 is to think about how you can approach it differently next time.

Why are these things so overwhelmingly tempting to you? I would bet that it has a lot to do with your diet being so strict. And I know a little bit about this as deprivation has always been my downfall. It's all well and good to try to eat healthy and clean but you also have to know yourself. If you have a sweet tooth, you need to give in to it now and then or you will continue to binge when the situation presents itself time and time again. Much better to plan and prepare for a scheduled treat right? So say once or even a few times a week, you allow yourself something. It doesn't have to be completely off your plan but make sure it satisfies whatever that craving is - chocolate, sweet, creamy, salty, etc.

Something I've tried before and enjoyed is plain greek yogurt (Chobani recommended) mixed with sugar free/fat free chocolate pudding. It's sweet and creamy and it's more filling than regular pudding/mousse because of all the protein.

Another option is to bring snacks with you so that if you're tempted by what other folks are having, you have your own alternative. When I go to Mom's, she always has ice cream and I'd love join her for a bowl or two but it would totally throw my calories over. So I bring some snack bars, cocoa almonds (or whatever is peaking my interest at the moment) and have that instead. It still gives me a snack that's tasty and satisfying.
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    no problem!! Thats what the site is for!! Good luck on moving forward!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    It's harder to binge when you're full, and I don't see a single day in your diary when you eat all your calories... are you sure the problem isn't that your body is reacting to being underfed? Those calorie goals are there for a reason - you should meet them!

If you eat your healthy dinner, but it's not enough and your body is still craving nutrition, it's no wonder you go for the less healthy stuff. I think if you satiate your body's needs it will be much easier to avoid temptation. Good luck!
  • carly_am
    carly_am Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I can't say it better than these guys - don't panic!!

Last weekend I ate 2 pizzas, 3 mince pies and a bottle of wine for dinner on Sunday. This morning I weighed myself and I'd lost 4lbs. One little hiccup is NOT going to ruin your hard work and you are NOT going to give up because f this!

Keep up the good work :) don't give up!!