WILL POWER!!!

Options
Oh no... they are ordering pizza for the entire office today! I've been doing so well lately! I know that if I even have one piece, it'll be a downward spiral from there. And of course, pizza is my absolute FAVORITE!

I'm going to try my best to pass on the pizza, and stick with the soup I broght from home.

HELP!

Replies

• Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think it's impossible to control will power for the rest of our lives. Controlling balance is far easier.

Have some pizza for lunch, sneak back & have the soup at 3:00, and have a lighter meal tonight at 7:00 or so.

It's all good :smokin:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    have one piece and some salad and exercise like crazy tonight!!!! :)
  • nurseandi
    Options
    will power= i has none
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I agree. Eat a piece of pizza! One piece isn't going to kill your progress, and then eat lighter tonight. Our office ordered pizza last week for lunch, and I ate it...and man, was it good!! I am a big believer in moderation!! Guess it's worked so far--I've lost 32 pounds so far!!
  • TnTHawkins
    TnTHawkins Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Have one slice and exercise more when you get home. You shouldn't give it all up. Pizza is one of my favorite foods.

I had a fast food burger and fries this weekend 1500 (my whole calarie intake) and did more exercise and it was all good.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I've always stuck to the mantra that "a diet that doesn't work for you doesn't work." I don't deny myself any one type of food. If I have a craving for it, I eat it while maintaining proper portion size and make up for it elsewhere. Maybe the family and I go for a walk for 45 minutes to earn some more calorie room...or maybe we just have a salad for dinner and go to bed a little earlier to curb late-night cravings. Proper dieting is about lifestyle change and you can't have lifestyle change without actually changing your lifestyle.

If you truly want to avoid the pizza, then leave the office. Take a break while they eat or take your lunch and go somewhere else.
  • terri_g
    Options
    Oh, I hate when that happens!!!! Try to eat somewhere where the pizza is not. Think about that special outfit/swimsuit or whatever it is you want to look good in. Good luck. But if you do have a piece, don't be too hard on yourself. Will power is just like everything else, we have good days and not so good ones.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I agree! Eat the pizza. If you deprive yourself you may end up binging on something random later. I love the lean cuisine pizzas, I use that to help get my fix. They aren't too high in calories but I don't know about sodium...
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I would pass. I can't stop with one, and for me I get myself down and then have a hard time staying on track the rest of my night. My work had a birthday cake for my boss the other day and I said no and felt so great the rest of my day.
    If you know you could stop after one, than go for it. But if you feel like it will mess up your hard work don't go there!
    :flowerforyou:
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Where I work people regularly bring treats for everyone (today its cinnamon rolls, last week bagels, next week pizza). I have refused the cinnamon rolls today. I remind myself I had breakfast and that I have a lovely salad waiting for me at lunch time. Since I already know that next week is "pizza Friday" I can mentally prepare myself for it, we're all also s'posed to bring a potluck item from home to add to the feast. I'm wondering if I'll allow myself the pizza, or bring a healthy snack to share and abstain from the main dish. I don't know yet, I have options. Our animal brain (impulse) is wired to act faster, my animal brain would grab a cinnamon roll. My rational brain won't engage until I seek it out. I need to remember to consult with it when a choice is on the table. That being said....I am planning a pizza party with friends for this weekend. We're making it from scratch. I plan on making a tempeh saute to replace hamburger and I'll roast some yams,peppers, onions and garlic for toppings as well. Pizza doesn't have to be your downfall.

Think thru your options, measure them against your goals and what food-scheduling options you have.
    Enjoy what you choose and eat!
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I say eat the pizza IF you can. But maybe have two big glasses of water ahead of time (to fill up) and then later, if you get hungry again, have the soup (maybe half?), and more water tonight.

But if you feel like you can't stop at one, don't eat it. Join the group, eat your soup, and know that you're going to look better on the beach this summer than your coworkers! (sometimes cattiness is all the inspiration I need :wink: )

Do what's best for you, have fun, and work it off!
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. Started off making great progress, and now it seems like everyone in the world is bringing junk food into work. ARGH! So I take a couple and put it into my diary, see how badly it's messed up my day and adjust my planned snacks and dinner. Today is the office Valentine's Pizza party, so on Monday I planned for 2 slices of cheese and then I will walk away. I didn't plan on the fun size candy, but I'll adjust dinner for that and move on. Nice to know I'm not alone in the struggle against the Dark "Chocolate" Side.
  • Beckypruden
    Options
    :smile:
    I've always stuck to the mantra that "a diet that doesn't work for you doesn't work." I don't deny myself any one type of food. If I have a craving for it, I eat it while maintaining proper portion size and make up for it elsewhere. Maybe the family and I go for a walk for 45 minutes to earn some more calorie room...or maybe we just have a salad for dinner and go to bed a little earlier to curb late-night cravings. Proper dieting is about lifestyle change and you can't have lifestyle change without actually changing your lifestyle.

If you truly want to avoid the pizza, then leave the office. Take a break while they eat or take your lunch and go somewhere else.

cheer to that!!
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    pizza ishard for me i can't eat just one/ but good luck/ like i am kinda not eating bread for the next two weeks and well lastnight we went out for a friends b-day and of course bread basket/ no will power no bread but then they brought a cheese cake that was hard so im glad i skipped the bread bc i broke had a peice of cheesecake/ workout more tonight but it was worth it.
  • ticky
    ticky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    See... that's my problem. I can't just have one. I end up thinking, "well one won't kill me". Then once I'm finished with that piece, "whats one more piece". Not to mention, I find that there is something each day that tempts me to step off track.
    One day its my husband asking me to go out to dinner... or a friend asking me to come over for coffee at the same time i'm supposed to be at kickboxing.

I feel like I need to JUST SAY NO every once and a while. Other wise it'll be time to put on a pair of shorts and i'll be kicking myself in the butt. :smile: Plus, it does feel pretty good when I know I've made a healthy decision.

Lucky for me, they ordered a GIANT salad too!

Thanks everyone!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not of the mind set of most of the other posters on here. Here's my take on it.

When you see, smell a food and you go eat it, that's your body controlling your mind, when you decide that you want a treat because you deserve it, and consciously choose said treat (whether it's pizza, a cookie, some ice cream...etc.) then it's your mind dictating control to your body. there is a HUGE difference between the two.

I don't see balance as giving in to cravings, I see balance as heading off those cravings by controlling your food, by that I mean, don't deprive yourself of treats, structure them so that YOU are the one deciding when you will have them, not your body. While I agree that it's almost impossible to cut the things you like but are not so good out completely, you can limit the mental damage done by choosing the time and amount you have. This way you minimize the cravings while continuing to follow the plan that you laid out.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    So, I'm not of the mind set of most of the other posters on here. Here's my take on it.

When you see, smell a food and you go eat it, that's your body controlling your mind, when you decide that you want a treat because you deserve it, and consciously choose said treat (whether it's pizza, a cookie, some ice cream...etc.) then it's your mind dictating control to your body. there is a HUGE difference between the two.

I don't see balance as giving in to cravings, I see balance as heading off those cravings by controlling your food, by that I mean, don't deprive yourself of treats, structure them so that YOU are the one deciding when you will have them, not your body. While I agree that it's almost impossible to cut the things you like but are not so good out completely, you can limit the mental damage done by choosing the time and amount you have. This way you minimize the cravings while continuing to follow the plan that you laid out.

Wow. Never thought of it quite that way Banks. Thanks! Good stuff - you should expand on this and make one of your famous posts :love:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Wow. Never thought of it quite that way Banks. Thanks! Good stuff - you should expand on this and make one of your famous posts :love:

silly girl, I'e already covered it years ago. :tongue:

while I didn't get specifically into this technique, I've covered willpower already.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

silly girl, I'e already covered it years ago. :tongue:

while I didn't get specifically into this technique, I've covered willpower already.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/13618-the-dying-art-of-will-power

Yeah - I read that one and printed it off, but I guess it didn't quite click! I can be a little slow. Sometimes. :ohwell: Off to re-read that gem!

O.K. re-read it. I guess just the concept of "me controlling my body, not my body controlling me" when it comes to food and cravings was the point that turned the lightbulb on. Not that it's a new concept, heck it's even in the Bible. Thanks Steve!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options

Agreed... it was well said.