Frozen section + Microwave = BFF lol

Options
So I work two jobs--which means 3 days a week, I am eating dinner at the office, so my only options are a fridge/freezer, a microwave and a toaster oven.
I realize that prepackaged meals are NOT good choices, but I find myself struggling every week as to what to bring for dinner options that are healthy yet simple & quick.
I have purchased frozen veggies (steamers) and some pre-cooked grilled chicken breasts, that I can just heat up in the microwave or oven...but that stuff gets old after awhile....

So any suggestions/thoughts?

Tonight I am having a whole grain, garlic chicken white pizza LEAN pocket...lol

Replies

• Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I usually cook on Sunday nights for the week. That way I can bring a home cooked meal I can reheat in the microwave. I find a ton of recipes on skinnytaste and cook enough for 4-5 days worth.
  • MeeshyBW
    MeeshyBW Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    This is all I have in work too and I manage to eat well at lunch.

Great quick and easy lunch food for me is:

Green lentils (tin or carton)
    Tinned tuna
    Scalions
    Tomato
    Cilantro
    Salt and pepper
    Squeeze of lime

It's simple and nutritious.
  • wendyking1979
    wendyking1979 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I would like to have the time and inclination to cook every meal, but I just don't. I eat a Lean Cuisine or Smart Ones entree for lunch every work day, and I supplement with fresh veggies and fruits. A big bag of baby carrots will last a couple of weeks, and is fairly inexpensive. The same with whatever fruits are in season. I like to have something fresh, since there is so much sodium in the prepared meals. I also try to drink a ton of water to compensate for the salt. Hope this helps!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Fritatta
    Home made soup
    Beans on toast
    Left overs from dinner
    Jacket potato... Add tuna etc
    Egg or chicken salad
    Over night oats

Hopefully you'll like atleast one of those! X
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    cook your meals on your day off and put them in rubber made containers just seperate them into individual servings. Then grab whatever you want to eat that day :)
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    if you have to go frozen meals sometimes, i REALLY like the "Kashi" entrees - - am eating the Southwest Chicken one right now. Really flavorful, really filling....and less than 400 calories each meal.

good luck - - -i know it's not easy.......struggling a bit with it myself.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs. Tuna in the pouch. Trail mix. Fresh veggies with Greek Yogurt dip. Peanut butter and apples.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Make foods before, bring them to work in tupperware and heat them up.
    I really like Green Giant frozen vegetables, particularly the "italian" and "japanese" frozen mixes. I will will put half the pouch in the microwave (100) drain the excess water and toss them in a tablespoon of steak sauce (20) over a cup of cooked rice (200) so it's a delicious filling meal for 320 cals and it literally takes less than 10 minutes to make. If you have a rice cooker just cook it while you're getting ready in the morning or the night before, microwave the veggies and coat them in sauce and you're ready to go!

If you find cooking beforehand is not an option, just look for lower sodium frozen options.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Every sunday, I spend an hour or so in the kitchen prepping salads for the week. Every monrning I decide on a protein choice: rotesserie chicken, lentils, tofu, leftover taco meat, etc and a salad dressing. I add a piece of fruit and a string cheese or yogurt for a snack.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    So I work two jobs--which means 3 days a week, I am eating dinner at the office, so my only options are a fridge/freezer, a microwave and a toaster oven.
    I realize that prepackaged meals are NOT good choices, but I find myself struggling every week as to what to bring for dinner options that are healthy yet simple & quick.
    I have purchased frozen veggies (steamers) and some pre-cooked grilled chicken breasts, that I can just heat up in the microwave or oven...but that stuff gets old after awhile....

So any suggestions/thoughts?

Tonight I am having a whole grain, garlic chicken white pizza LEAN pocket...lol

I work nights, but have 6 kids and Basketball practice/games to deal with for one of them. I do a lot of frozen meals too. My biggest problem is getting enough Vitamin A and watching the Sodium.

I love the steamers. The Mac & Cheee is good, but the Broccoli, Rice and Cheese has a lot of Sodium and has 1.5 (or 2) servings per bag.

The Lean Pockets are good. I like Pot Pies too, but have to watch the ammount of Fat. I've done fresh fruit and veggies, but Watermellon and Cantelope aren't in season now :(

I've looked into the Freezer cooking for a month. All I have to do is find something I like and make time to cook it.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Oh and hard boiled eggs. I like mine when they have just been cooked. I have a quick heat teapot that makes them perfectly.
  • heather_huggins
    heather_huggins Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs
    fresh fruits (apples, grapes, bananas etc)
    raw veggies
    oatmeal
    rice cakes (i like them with natural peanut butter and a little honey or jam)
    pita chips and hummus!
    cottage cheese with fruit or tomatoes and green onions in it
    granola in yogurt
    etc.

hope these help :)
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    cook your meals on your day off and put them in rubber made containers just seperate them into individual servings. Then grab whatever you want to eat that day :)

that
  • bailyc
    bailyc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own 'lean cuisine' meals. I make enough salmon, wild rice, steamed broccoli/carrots/cauliflower (for example) for a weeks worth of lunches. Then measure and separate into 5 microwaveable containers and throw them in the freezer. I just have to grab one each day on my out the door. I pre-cut and package my mid morning/mid afternoon snacks too. It is such a great way to keep portion size in control and you can avoid the sodium overload you get from the boxed stuff.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

that

yep. In a pinch I get a TV dinner or something like that (I had a Lean Pocket fiasco just today...) but for the most part, I make a larger portion of dinner and save the protein/veggies for lunch the next day. Makes life easier. And usually a lot more delicious than any fast food or frozen dinner I could buy.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    do you have a crock pot? maybe you can make something while you are out at one job, then bring it to the other job later on? or set aside time and cook a bunch of stuff at once, then bring it to work and nuke it.
    also try sandwiches, wraps, salads. i am a vegetarian, so i bring in meatless sausages and burgers and nuke those at work as well (i work 1-9 during dinner)
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Keep some spices at your desk, and some sauces in the fridge at work. That should add a lot of variety to your healthy veggie/chicken combo!