Excess Skin Questions

Options
I am 5'9 and weigh 220... I am concerned when I lose weight will I have excess skin?
Will toning help with this?

I am just curious.

Replies

• thesatch88
    thesatch88 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    weight training and drinking lots of water helps the body absorb the excess skin faster, but it can take up to two years, especially if you lose a lot of weight very quickly.
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 plus lbs this summer before I joined MFP. At 66 I thought I would have hanging skin problems but did not. I drank more water this summer (100 degrees for almost 3 months) and think that maybe that made a difference. I hate drinking water but do it anyway. Also, since I worked physically (lifting, pushing) perhaps that helped the skin to "tone"? Good luck
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Weight training, exercise within the "fat burning" range (HRMs are good for tracking this), plenty of water, good micros (good multi-vitamin, minerals, formulas for hair, skin, nails that work to repair and increase collagen, plenty of EFAs/Omega 3*, 6, 9, and good fats)
    Plenty of Protein (assist with building lean muscle and repairing skin) try for at least 100g daily.

Moisturize with coconut oil which will assist in improving the texture and tone of your skin.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 plus lbs this summer before I joined MFP. At 66 I thought I would have hanging skin problems but did not. I drank more water this summer (100 degrees for almost 3 months) and think that maybe that made a difference. I hate drinking water but do it anyway. Also, since I worked physically (lifting, pushing) perhaps that helped the skin to "tone"? Good luck

If you hate water, maybe you should try a little tasty spin on it!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/687105-cinnamon-apple-detox-spa-water
  • mhanley1961
    Options
    In 2008 I lost 70 pounds at a rate of 2 pounds per week which I am told is right on the line of having loose skin. I had a bit of looseness but it tightened up in a few months. I think the key is to not lose it too fast and plenty of exercise
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Losing weight slowly and strength training to retain muscle mass is your best bet. The faster you lose weight, the more muscle loss you will see and the harder it will be for your skin to keep up with all of the changes. I've lost all of my weight in over a year so far, and my skin looks pretty great. You can tell a bit in the tummy that I've lost weight, but I really have no complaints because it's just going to happen and I think it could look way worse. Try and drink lots of water and moisturize too. I don't think it matters what kind of lotion you use.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. It really depends on your skins elasticity. Losing weight slower will help with excess skin. I have also seen lots of great results from women who have done weight training. You also look pretty young so that will go in your favor also. The benefits of getting healthy by far outweigh the drawback of excess skin.
  • ashbashsweets
    ashbashsweets Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Yes i agree. Getting healthy is far more important than worrying about excess skin!
  • ashbashsweets
    ashbashsweets Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • MMountford
    MMountford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I lost just over 40 pounds over the course of the last year and I swear my tummy looks like I lost 200 pounds... I just started doing muscle training though so I'm hoping it will go away.

I have an abnormal/light body type (my dad even raced in the Olympics) so I actually think even at 145 pounds and 5'11" I need to lose another 10 pounds of fat.