feel stupid..but why eat your workout calories?

Options

Replies

• timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So your body has energy to live
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The whole point of working out is to burn calories, but not at the expense of what your body needs to continue to function well, which requires calories. As long as you're still in an overall deficit, weight will be lost.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    when you calculate your calouries and u oputed in there 3 times a week it is calculated in your calorie intake , then u do not eat them back
    Hang on, guys, I got this. Just give me a minute.

ovaltine4.jpg
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    because eating is really, really fun?? :drinker:

....and because you can eat them, not feel deprived, and STILL lose weight in a sustainable way. :flowerforyou:

Absolutely this! I'm eating 1800 calories a day and still losing body fat. I like food!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The whole point of working out is to become fit.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    Not everyone will eat them back, and not everyone won't. The best thing to do is to find what works right for YOU. I eat mine back, and I'm half the size that I used to be.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Eating too little = muscle loss.

More muscle = increased metabolism.

Increased metabolism = more calories burned.

More calories burned = lean muscle tissue.

Therefore:

Eat more (and eat healthy).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    when you calculate your calouries and u oputed in there 3 times a week it is calculated in your calorie intake , then u do not eat them back

It actually is not included. Only your non-exercise activity level is baked in.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I typically don't eat back the first 500. However, I would experiment with what works best for you.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    The way this site is designed, you are supposed to eat your exercise calories. Creating a larger deficit isn`t necessarily a good thing. Stick to the program. You will lose weight and are less likely to hit a plateau.
  • lindas2008try
    lindas2008try Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm new here but not new to dieting. I just started posting here a few days ago. I need to lose about 10 pounds to get back to my maintenance weight and was surprised to see the calories added in when I exercised the other day. I imagine when you're at goal weight (not in weight loss mode) you can eat back your calories to maintain. Right now I'm just trying to get a deficit and not be hungry.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

you said baked.

now i want cake.

and pie.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Hang on, guys, I got this. Just give me a minute.

ovaltine4.jpg

here, borrow mine

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtEoQ1iHNdlON7DC2b1yFOTEwrYH4uVBj-yaWRg6itLslUqDoebQ
  • ajp913
    ajp913 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have five minutes... so I'm going to type rapid fire and hope it makes sense... ready?

Some people change their daily calorie goal to something that best fits them, some people use MFP's recommended daily alotment.

Regardless, your goal should be to NET a certain number of calories daily. that figure means calories consumed minus calories burned...

That's all it is, hit your net calorie goal. Some days you'll be below it because you worked out harder and need to eat some back, some days you'll hit it perfect and won't need to eat any calories back. Focus on your net goal. That's all. If your net goal is 1500, and you're sitting at a net 1200 for the day, you should probably eat those back. If your net goal is 1500 and you've worked out an hour and you're sitting at 1500 perfect, don't eat your calories back because you need those burnt calories to hit your goal. Focus on the net goal... focus... on... the... cheesecake...
    Net goal.
    I mean net goal.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options

you said baked.

now i want cake.

and pie.
    No. "Baked" triggers a craving for a doober.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

this
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Because you're already in a deficit without exercise. That's the way MFP works. I swear I don't understand how people sign up to use this site and don't educate themselves on the simple way it works.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Because those calories are the most delicious. Sometimes, I like to drink them back to surprise my metabolism into getting drunk.
  • monkey_la_femme
    monkey_la_femme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat my workout calories because I get hungry! On days when I walk up to an hour I am hungrier when I get home and when I workout before breakfast I come back *starving*.

I think if you are hungrier on workout days then you should cut yourself some slack and eat a few calories back. That being said, I am not a nutritionist; just a hungry girl who still loses weight when she has a second round of toast after boxing.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't. Like you said, it just gives me a greater deficit. Maybe ill eat a few back if I'm having a hungry day but never half or more.

I try for between 1000-1300/day (usually its 1200-1300) and I don't believe in starvation mode so..