The REAL Hunger Games: Mixed signals in my brain...

Options
I was bad today... :( but it was because I didn't drink enough water throughout the day and I got the signals confused. consequently I was ravenous and ate too much. But if I put in a workout, the damage isn't terrible. :) Note to self: If hungry, DRINK (WATER) FIRST!

....I also think my body seriously rebels against any caloric deficit by getting really hungry. How I lost the weight before was an average of 1-2lbs a month, despite the fact that I was trying to cut back 500cals a day. (Which obviously didn't exactly happen.) Anyone have the same issues?

Or maybe for me losing weight is just a mental game? I don't like to deprive myself at all. 500 calories is a lot. Whether it's burned off at the gym, or half at the gym and half in the kitchen, or all in the kitchen. I like my food. And I can't deal with a 500 calorie deficit for more than like 4 days. That's exercising a lot of self control. I exercise self control in most other aspects of my life. I don't eat ****, in fact, I eat pretty damn healthy by habit. But if I want to have a bowl of ice cream at the end of the day, I'm going to have it.

Thirst//Unreasonable hunger response//Rebelling against too much self control= my weight loss nemeses.

//End rant.

Replies

• zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    ;P
  • spangey13
    Options
    Have you thought about "calorie cycling". So on hungry days, eat a little more, and then on days when you're not so hungry, don't bother.

I haven't intentionally been doing that, but it seems to have worked out that way. At the end of the week, I'm still in a deficit so no harm done :-) (at least, that is what I'm lead to believe).
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

Please keep the community guidelines in mind when contributing to topics, particularly

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

At our discretion, this thread may be locked or deleted at any time..

With respect,
    Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • BunnyFit2989
    BunnyFit2989 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Censorship censorship censorship.
    Big brother is watching.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Have you considered mixing up the amount of food you eat during different times of the day and how it affects your hunger, then noting any patterns it might reveal?

Have you considered increasing the amount of protein you eat, to see if it helps you feel more satisfied?

:flowerforyou:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Losing weight IS a mental game. And exercise keeps your mind sharp for it, in my opinion.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at in your post, but if you are finding yourself ravenously hungry more than once in a while, your body is straight up asking for more food, so try upping your calories a bit maybe?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sorry folks but I am corn-fused. Who attacked whom? Or has something been removed?
    Dear Posters,

Please keep the community guidelines in mind when contributing to topics, particularly

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation

a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

At our discretion, this thread may be locked or deleted at any time..

With respect,
    Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Hang in there OP. I say big feelings of gnawing hunger need to have food. make it healthy food in normal serving sizes even it means going over your alloted calories. Whatever, don't let yourself get so hungry or feeling so deprived that you binge.

You're right about the water too.

I know exactly what you are saying....have experienced the same thing/feelings.

A few weeks ago I cut way back on wheat...mostly not eating bread or bagels or wheat based pasta. I notice a big difference in the times of big hunger. I never realized I was getting that blood sugar surge followed by a crash that I'd read about so much. I was eating all whole grain flours but it happened anyway, not 2 hours later, usually after 3 hours.