Loose Skin after weight loss.....

Options
I have a lot of weight to loose and I was wondering about having a bunch of loose skin that will hang on the stomach area particularly. I doubt my age helps any. Do you know of people that have lost around a hundred pounds and if they had a problem ? I see people loose about that much on tv after a bypass and they all have that problem. What do you think? Is there anything that can help prevent that?

Replies

• auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of weight to loose and I was wondering about having a bunch of loose skin that will hang on the stomach area particularly. I doubt my age helps any. Do you know of people that have lost around a hundred pounds and if they had a problem ? I see people loose about that much on tv after a bypass and they all have that problem. What do you think? Is there anything that can help prevent that?
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I have worried about that also and as I approach 60 pounds loss I do not have any loose skin yet. I think that I will eventually have some around the belly. I keep working out though hoping to minimize the damage.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I have worried about that also and as I approach 60 pounds loss I do not have any loose skin yet. I think that I will eventually have some around the belly. I keep working out though hoping to minimize the damage.
    You have done really great :drinker: I will be glad when I can say I have lost 60 pounds. Thanks that sounds encouraging to me.:flowerforyou:
  • dxeebelle
    Options
    I am working on a total of 50lbs and a C section tummy. Mine just hangs.. my friend has lost almost 100 and she works out like CRAZY! Everywhere but her Tummy she is fine. She went to a plastic surgeon ( I went with her for morale support) basically he told us that there is nothing you can do to get all the loose skin to go away except for have it cut off. There are 2 differant procedues. I do not remember the medical names but one is a procedure where they just cut off the loose skin. The other is a full tummy tuck where they actually help sculpt the tummy area. THe loose skin procedure is the least expensive of course but not sure that is the answer. Of course, as he told us working out helps tone the muscles so that is always good.. but the skin once it has been stretched out will not go back to the way it was before.
    So, you will get in smaller clothes and be healthy just don't get frustrated with the extra skin. It shows how hard you have worked to become fit!!
  • Cassia
    Cassia Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    EXERCISE EXERCISE...... you get the idea. This is the only thing that i have heard that helps with out surgery. I would try something like taebo (instead of strictly cardio) or winsor pilates or something that will tone you. don't really know though
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I am working on a total of 50lbs and a C section tummy. Mine just hangs.. my friend has lost almost 100 and she works out like CRAZY! Everywhere but her Tummy she is fine. She went to a plastic surgeon ( I went with her for morale support) basically he told us that there is nothing you can do to get all the loose skin to go away except for have it cut off. There are 2 differant procedues. I do not remember the medical names but one is a procedure where they just cut off the loose skin. The other is a full tummy tuck where they actually help sculpt the tummy area. THe loose skin procedure is the least expensive of course but not sure that is the answer. Of course, as he told us working out helps tone the muscles so that is always good.. but the skin once it has been stretched out will not go back to the way it was before.
    So, you will get in smaller clothes and be healthy just don't get frustrated with the extra skin. It shows how hard you have worked to become fit!!
    Was your friend able to get it done on insurance, or is it considered plastic surgery?If you don't mind me asking, did they tell her about how much it would cost? Thanks/
  • dxeebelle
    Options
    Well, we are military so our insurance is kinda a joke.. we are wokring on getting it paid for... I say WE cause I want it done when I reach my goals.
    They will pay for part of it IF they are going to pay for any of it. I think the "mini" procedure was around 3500 all inclusive of all dr appointments and hospital needs and drugs and everything. THe Tummy tuck was around 7000. I also found out that there are companies that finace plastic surgery.
    However, the more weight you lose the better chance you have of getting it approved. I didn't have 100 lbs to lose and still be in a healthy weight so I would have a harder time. BUt the Dr said those that lost over 100 lbs usually get a better chance.
    I know that it is something you need to work on with your dr now. It will take some time. You have to prove that part of it is NECESSARy. Like you have a rash all the time or things like that. I know that I had breast reduction surgery a year ago and it took me about 2 years to get it approved. ( it was very necessary I was an "I" cup) but it took a lot of tenacity and documentation on my part and my dr. of course making a military move to a new city didn't help either. BUT I have already told my dr here that i want to get the surgery for my tummy so we are working on it.
    Just keep working on beign fit. Cause the Dr did say you had to be within a certain BMI and be stable for sometime AND not be trying or wanting to lose anymore weight when the surgery is done. And yes it does make a differance.. I can see a differance in my breast in the last 20 lbs I have lost.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Well, we are military so our insurance is kinda a joke.. we are wokring on getting it paid for... I say WE cause I want it done when I reach my goals.
    They will pay for part of it IF they are going to pay for any of it. I think the "mini" procedure was around 3500 all inclusive of all dr appointments and hospital needs and drugs and everything. THe Tummy tuck was around 7000. I also found out that there are companies that finace plastic surgery.
    However, the more weight you lose the better chance you have of getting it approved. I didn't have 100 lbs to lose and still be in a healthy weight so I would have a harder time. BUt the Dr said those that lost over 100 lbs usually get a better chance.
    I know that it is something you need to work on with your dr now. It will take some time. You have to prove that part of it is NECESSARy. Like you have a rash all the time or things like that. I know that I had breast reduction surgery a year ago and it took me about 2 years to get it approved. ( it was very necessary I was an "I" cup) but it took a lot of tenacity and documentation on my part and my dr. of course making a military move to a new city didn't help either. BUT I have already told my dr here that i want to get the surgery for my tummy so we are working on it.
    Just keep working on beign fit. Cause the Dr did say you had to be within a certain BMI and be stable for sometime AND not be trying or wanting to lose anymore weight when the surgery is done. And yes it does make a differance.. I can see a differance in my breast in the last 20 lbs I have lost.
    Thank you:flowerforyou: I will talk to my doctors the next time I see them.
  • dhayes
    dhayes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I willl second that Drs. can help you with the insurance companies. When I was considering the weight loss surgery the Dr. told me that he can usually get the cosmetic work approved if you have irritation caused by the hanging skin. I do have an excellent medical plan though.:smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I think the speed that you lose the weight figures into it. I lost mine very slowly.

I have a little loose skin, now that I'm at the end, but I think it's "firming up" (or maybe I'm just learning to love it)

I'm past my bikini days, and I've never had anyone comment on it in clothes.

I have a tiny little low "gut" that won't suck in, and some hanging in my upper arms (I really, really hate that. I admit that if I could afford surgery, I would get it here.) But, for now, sleeves work, too.

What keeps me away from the tummy tuck is the recovery time. I'm not doing anything voluntarily that will keep me from working out! (but, my problem is quite small there)

Don't let fear of this deter you from the weight loss!:flowerforyou:
  • auntkaren
    Options
    I'm not going to let it stop me, I'm grateful for your answers:flowerforyou: With my back problems it's hard to do some of the exercises others can do, but I will do my best. Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi Aunt Karen...bellydance is an excellent exercise for toning the skin as well as the muscle...it is for women of all ages and sizes and so much fun...I'm 51 and there are women 10+ years older than me that are still dancing and even performing...you can workout in the privacy of your own home via DVDs and if you should decide to take a class somewhere they would so enjoy having you with them!
  • deborah123
    deborah123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    was wondering the same thing. good tip the bellydanceing. Thanks.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    Hi Aunt Karen...bellydance is an excellent exercise for toning the skin as well as the muscle...it is for women of all ages and sizes and so much fun...I'm 51 and there are women 10+ years older than me that are still dancing and even performing...you can workout in the privacy of your own home via DVDs and if you should decide to take a class somewhere they would so enjoy having you with them!
    Thanks:flowerforyou: Do you have a name of a DVD that I can look for at Wal Mart, that's the only store we have......preferably a beginners, I have back problems so I think I need to start out slow and easy.:happy:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have direct tv or not, but the fit tv channel has a show on called shimmy that is a belly dancing workout :)
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    bypass patients are breed all their own. I know two and both have had major skin issues, along with sores and odor and both have not changed their eating habits so guess what, they are slowly but surely putting the weight back on.

IN addition, they lose their weight so dramatically fast that their skin has no choice but to sag. If you stick to a recommended 1-2 lbs a week your skins elasticity has a chance to stay "caught up" with your losses. I started with 107 lbs to lose, and I totally get where you are coming from BUT, I think I would rather lose it slow and have a little droop than to stay fat.

also, my doctor and some research I have done says that after a large loss you need to give your skin about a year to really bounce back, after that year anything that is still droopy is more than likely going to stay droopy unless you do some surgery.

Can't be afraid of the "what if's", if you do that you will stay stuck in the same rut you are now, you have to lose the weight and get healthy and deal with any consequences of allowing ourselves to get over weight to start with.

:wink:
  • slimsuccess
    Options

Wow! You are 51? I am 54--I am going to look into belly dancing. You look great!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I willl second that Drs. can help you with the insurance companies. When I was considering the weight loss surgery the Dr. told me that he can usually get the cosmetic work approved if you have irritation caused by the hanging skin. I do have an excellent medical plan though.:smile:

This is not true, my friend had bypass surgery almost 4 years ago and last year he started having problems with sores and odor and these are the reasons insurance might consider a tummy tuck, HOWEVER, if you have bypass insurance will only consider the front part of your stomach, they will not pay for the additional skin you will more than likely have around your hips and thighs, and that was looking like $20K out of pocket for him. I don't know about you but slow and steady is the way to go and my friend said if he had it all to do over again he would not have had the bypass because of all the other problems he has had since and he said if insurance would only pay for the tummy portion that still left him with side effects from the surgery, including chaffing and sores on his hips and thighs from the loose skin.
  • auntkaren
    Options
    bypass patients are breed all their own. I know two and both have had major skin issues, along with sores and odor and both have not changed their eating habits so guess what, they are slowly but surely putting the weight back on.

IN addition, they lose their weight so dramatically fast that their skin has no choice but to sag. If you stick to a recommended 1-2 lbs a week your skins elasticity has a chance to stay "caught up" with your losses. I started with 107 lbs to lose, and I totally get where you are coming from BUT, I think I would rather lose it slow and have a little droop than to stay fat.

also, my doctor and some research I have done says that after a large loss you need to give your skin about a year to really bounce back, after that year anything that is still droopy is more than likely going to stay droopy unless you do some surgery.

Can't be afraid of the "what if's", if you do that you will stay stuck in the same rut you are now, you have to lose the weight and get healthy and deal with any consequences of allowing ourselves to get over weight to start with.

:wink: Your right:flowerforyou:
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I worried about this also since I'm over 50. I even had an appointment with a surgeon last year to talk about the procedure should I decide to do it. My goal is 75 pounds, wow, I've never seen it like that before, but the goal is set by the fact I want to be a certain body fat amount. Anyway, now that I've taken off 20 of the pounds, I'm having second thoughts about the surgery. I'm thinking I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I have no insurance to speak of so I would either go the credit card way or would go back to work long enough to save it up.