Looking for running advice

Options
I'm more than halfway to my weight loss goal. I would like to run a a half marathon next year at this time. Could anyone give me advice to start training? Please know, I've never really ran before in my life, but I am inspired to try my best. I walk a fast 3 miles a day and have competed in a 5K already.

Replies

• healthyformeanMona
    healthyformeanMona Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner, but I would say get some good shoes, and stretch real good. and carry mace. or pepper spray.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd start with C25K to get going then you can do the Bridge to 10K or a Half training program. You have lots of time to get there.

If you seriously want to run, go to a running store (not just a shoe store) and get fitted by someone who knows what they're doing for a pair of good running shoes. They should check out your gait and be able to recommend a shoe that will give you the support you need for your foot.

Download the app or MP3 files and get started. Take your time, go as slow as you need to in able to complete the intervals. Run the runs sections at barely faster than a walk. Get used to the feeling and build some endurance. Most people start out thinking they have to sprint the run sections, find they can't do it, get injured and quit. Speed will come later.

Be sure to land midfoot, don't pound your heels down. Take short steps and lean forward a bit. Keep your core straight and shoulders back so you can get deep breaths. Don't worry about your breathing style. Let your mouth hang open and suck air if you need to. Google Chi running for some good form tips that will help prevent injuries.

Have fun. If you have to repeat weeks, do it but don't get hung up on staying where it's comfortable. If you want to train for a half it's going to have to get uncomfortable to be able to push that far. 13 miles is a long way to run and it will take a lot of practice but it's totally attainable with the right attitude.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You can approach this in two ways. First is a run walk program by Jeff Galloway. His half marathon program is here: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

Run walk doesn't necessarily mean slow. I have seen run walkers finish much faster than most in marathons.

To work your way up to starting the program you should probably do C25k or Jeff Galloway's initial conditioning first: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/condition.html. Both programs are pretty similar.

If there is a Galloway training program in your town you might consider signing up to train with the group. The list of places where there are programs is on his website.

The second way to approach it is to run the whole thing. You still probably need to do either C25k or Galloway's conditioning first. Then you need to gradually increase your running mileage until you have comfortably run 20 miles a week for about 6 weeks. After that you could start any number of 12 to 18 week novice half marathon training programs you can find on the Internet.

Along the way you should run a few more 5ks and 10ks if there are any in your area. Those are probably the only speedwork you need during this initial build up and will get you accustomed to the rigors of racing.

Don't worry about your pace too much for the first race and remember that with proper and consistent uninterrupted training you can continue to improve for a decade or more. Good luck with it.
  • balthahm
    balthahm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a great place to start!

I've used Jeff Galloway's and Hal Higdon's beginner half marathon training plans and they are both great. I think they assume you can run a 5k and then they take it from there. If you're not opposed to walk breaks, Galloway is the way to go, IMO. I think the Higdon plans are a little harder :) You can find multiple plans on either of their sites (just google them) and then figure out when you'd need to start the plan so it coincides with your race.

Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • anna99c
    Options
    Dear Mitziku!

Running a great exercise! I do run 6 years now and I still love it. Very important you get a great shoes!!! There are difference between indoor running and outdoor, so your shoes should match to it.

Runnersrworld.com has a great training schedules, a great tool to find you the right shoes and all that you should know about running.

My personal advices :
    1. Set a short distance goal when you start.
    2. Sometimes run for the time, sometimes run for the distance.
    3. Do not overdo it !! Even if you know you can do it, you must get up from the bed tomorrow too! Sometimes you MUST hold your horses! Really!:))
    4. Great shoes are important. Also a good holding-everything-in-the-right-place sport bra! When you try them on, jump a lot in the fitting room, so you see how good they are!:)
    5. Always warm up!! It prevents injuries.
    6. If you 'hear' yourself running, (stomping your feet or shuffle) you should stop. It's not good for your knees.
    7. Enjoy.

I wish you the best! And please, let us know how you are doing!