Baby carrots get dipped in chlorine bleach?

2»

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Tap water and well water both get treated with chlorine (flouride too, and other things depending on your municipality). Swimming pools contain chlorine for algae control. Did you do your laundry recently? You most likely inhaled some chlorine. I think the benefits of carrots outweigh the negligible effects of a minute amount of chlorine.

Also, baby carrots aren't always deformed carrots. Often they just chop up full sized carrots in processing because deformities aren't that common that they'd be able to meet the demand.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    watch the show Life After people- I think it makes mention of Twinkie's on there... they'll last quite a while all right. :}
  • I agree with jlb.

Also, I understand that no one in this forum has died from the ingestion of chlorine, but how about diseases and cancer? Just because it is not killing you immediatley after you eat the food doesn't mean that you won't eventually die from it. The number of Cancerous deaths is expected to increase 45% since 2007 and I understand that this is not from eating carrots, but if people knew what the food they were eating did to their bodies over time, they might reconsider...
  • I agree with jlb.

Also, I understand that no one in this forum has died from the ingestion of chlorine, but how about diseases and cancer? Just because it is not killing you immediatley after you eat the food doesn't mean that you won't eventually die from it. The number of Cancerous deaths is expected to increase 45% since 2007 and I understand that this is not from eating carrots, but if people knew what the food they were eating did to their bodies over time, they might reconsider...
    What about ammonia sprayed meats and artificial hormone laced dairy? I totally agree that I would love my food sans all of these things, chlorine included, but here in Michigan, growing my own food year round isn't really an option. Our food systems are what they are because people buy what's easy and cheap. What better investment than the food we nourish our bodies and health with??? Yet check the fourms and you will find countless complaints (with some validity) about the high cost of eating healthy. We have the power to vote for chlorine free carrots but very few will actually do it. The issues with the American food systems are so much bigger than most people want to know or talk about, and are responsible in large part for the cancer, diabetes and heart disease problems in this country. However the alteratives to traditional grocery store food are not cheap and easy and most people don't put their money where their mouth is on this issue...so really, let the carrots have some chlorine. there aren't enough people who really care enough to make real changes in our food production systems yet.
This discussion has been closed.