I cant weigh in!

Options
So money is tight. Its the Holidays. My sons birthday is 3 days before Christmas...yada yada yada. Anyways Im not willing to "splurdge" on a new scale right now. But Id still like to know if im losing/what im losing.
Would it be too silly to go to the health dept. 1x a week or every 2 weeks and ask to use their scale until I get my own? It seems really silly but for some reason im worried theyd say no since im not being seen for anything and just randomly walking in! haha

Replies

• stellarcanicula
    stellarcanicula Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Grocery stores have scales you can use.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    also if you happen to be in a store like walmart of what ever, just take one off the shelf and weigh yourself. i have done that.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You won't know unless you ask!
  • cristeberga
    cristeberga Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you live, but I know that Publix has a scale in their stores. At least they did in Florida.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    No need to splurge. Step on a scale in Wal-Mart or something.
  • bitxbit
    bitxbit Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I did this at my Dr.'s office, once a week, for 3 or 4 weeks in October, while I was waiting for my new scale to arrive. The nurse was very supportive and seemed genuinely happy to help me out. She was a great encouragement. I can't wait for my regular BP check-up, in 10 days, just to share my progress with her.
    They would probably be happy to help you out, if you explain that you haven't got a scale of your own just yet. Hope all works out for you.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't see why the health department would say no, it wouldn't be hurting anybody/thing. My doctor is the nicest lady, I bet she'd let me come in once or twice a week just to get weighed if I didn't have a scale.

Although if you live in America this might cost you a few hundred dollars a pop. :laugh:
  • C12254
    C12254 Posts: 198
    Options
    really??! ive never seen that!
  • C12254
    Options
    also if you happen to be in a store like walmart of what ever, just take one off the shelf and weigh yourself. i have done that.
    theyre usually boxed/packaged up though i thought. ill look. actually i may go now...!
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I have seen sometimes in malls where you can pay a quarter and weigh yourself. I don't think the health department would mind if you asked them. I think the impoartant thing is to try to use the same scale.
  • C12254
    Options
    I don't see why the health department would say no, it wouldn't be hurting anybody/thing. My doctor is the nicest lady, I bet she'd let me come in once or twice a week just to get weighed if I didn't have a scale.

Although if you live in America this might cost you a few hundred dollars a pop. :laugh:
    LOL! my doctor would let me but we recently moved & i havent switched docs. so im not driving 45 minutes to weigh myself. LOL!!
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    School nurses's offices have scales! Also your doctor's office or walk-in clinic.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your health dept would let you use it ...... or pop into your doctor's office, or your drugstore (it might cost a quarter) ..... or even a local gym ?
  • Hawnpunch22
    Options
    If you aren't married to the idea of actually weighing yourself on a scale I'd say put on a pair of pants or shorts that feel snug to get an idea of how you're doing. Occasionally throw them bad boys on and stick your hand in like Al Bundy relaxing on his couch. Usually you'll begin with your hand palm flat tight against your belly. As progress is made you'll be able to feel it loosen up. If it gets loose enough, buy a new pair of pants and start all over. Can you tell I hate scales? Lol.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Why not do measurements?
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    in gyms u can do it for free, or even use a measuring tape, worest case dont weight ur self for a month and trust me it wont bother you
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    theyre usually boxed/packaged up though i thought. ill look. actually i may go now...!

oh ya they always are, but i take them out of the box,lol... and then package them back up after :)
  • BeyondThePixels
    BeyondThePixels Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Places like Bed, Bath & Beyond have various scales on display! :)
  • Chasedycc
    Options
    I recently purchased a brand new digital scale still in the box at my local goodwill for 5 bucks on 50% Saturday..
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    really??! ive never seen that!

I used the one at K-mart for the first two months before I broke down and bought one. It was fifty cents to use it.