how to pull my stomach in

Options
Right I know spot reduction does not happen and I am using diet and exercise to lose overall weight but can anyone recommend good exercises for the ab area to help me develop my poorly used muscles and pull that stomach in? I am not after body builder abs, just want to train the muscles better, just like I already do with arms (kettle bell) and legs (running)
Thanks

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Right I know spot reduction does not happen and I am using diet and exercise to lose overall weight but can anyone recommend good exercises for the ab area to help me develop my poorly used muscles and pull that stomach in? I am not after body builder abs, just want to train the muscles better, just like I already do with arms (kettle bell) and legs (running)
    Thanks
    Start working your legs. Do exercises that engage the core. Diet.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    planks

more planks
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Thanks
    Start working your legs. Do exercises that engage the core. Diet.

doing that already as per above, also include specific leg exercises to strengthen for running.... but , having not bothered to hold in my stomach for years (along with the fat I am working on) I was hoping for a recommendation for good core/ad exercises that can be done at home
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Try hula hooping, starting with 15 minutes a day.
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options

I always wondered about that... Fun and toning, i would imagine. But I am so uncoordinated .. Can anybody cod it ( eventually)?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Do full-body moves with your kettlebells. Two-armed and single-armed swings and clean-to-press are awesome for your core. Go heavier if you're finding it easy.

Seconded planks and side planks. Hold a weight with an extended arm in side planks.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Pilates
    Tae Bo
    30 Day Shred

All available on Youtube so they won't cost you a penny :happy:
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I found Shaun T's explanation really good on his Hip Hop Abs DVD.
    In the 11 months that I have been seeing a trainer at the gym, she has never once given me crunches. Instead I have done, over those 11 months:
    focus on good posture at all times, even when doing cardio and when working other body parts like biceps and triceps and when doing lunges
    planks
    side planks
    planks with alternate leg raises
    side planks with arm raised, then with raised arm scooped into that gap between your body and the floor
    side planks with small hip lift
    superman
    toe taps whilst lying on your back
    lower ab curl (lie on back, thighs perpendicular to body, slowly squeeze lower abs in tight and lower both legs to the L, to the centre, then to the R
    pelvic bridges
    oysters (keep tummy pulled in tight, don't allow hips to roll back)

A few sets of these, 3 or 4 times a week, sweaty cardio and a focus on eating between BMR and TDEE has shaved 16.5cm off my belly, 10cm from my belly button and 18.5cm from my waist.
    If you want me to explain any of these any better PM me, otherwise, Google and YouTube are your best informative friends :smile:
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Do full-body moves with your kettlebells. Two-armed and single-armed swings and clean-to-press are awesome for your core. Go heavier if you're finding it easy.

Seconded planks and side planks. Hold a weight with an extended arm in side planks.

I do do full swings but think the kettle I have is now to light to work that well now I am used to it. I will look at getting a heavier one
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    planks

more planks

agreed - and more planks

edit: and side planks

edit edit: and kettlebells

edit edit edit: and yoga!
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

I always wondered about that... Fun and toning, i would imagine. But I am so uncoordinated .. Can anybody cod it ( eventually)?

Well it's like anything else, you have to actually do it to get better at it. When I first started I was constantly dropping the hoop, now I can hoop for at least 10 minutes straight without dropping it. And when you do drop it, you just pick it right up and start it spinning again. Set the timer and just have at it for 15 minutes. I now hoop on my off days from the gym, and this month it's for 45 minute sets. I may drop it a 4-5 times in that period but I just pick it up and keep going. :smile:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    squats
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Pilates has done amazing thing to my torso. And something called The Lotte Burk Method. Their Hip Hugger Abs program destroys my abs.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options

Well it's like anything else, you have to actually do it to get better at it. When I first started I was constantly dropping the hoop, now I can hoop for at least 10 minutes straight without dropping it. And when you do drop it, you just pick it right up and start it spinning again. Set the timer and just have at it for 15 minutes. I now hoop on my off days from the gym, and this month it's for 45 minute sets. I may drop it a 4-5 times in that period but I just pick it up and keep going. :smile:

How do you stop the hoop from dropping down over your hips when your a fella? No hips! I'm struggling with this one.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Killer Abs

Wow! what an ab workout!
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Killer Abs

Wow! what an ab workout!

I've never tried this one, but I am seeing some results with her 6 week 6 pack. Its a 30 minute tape that combines core and cardio.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Lay on your stomach more, stand against walls, lay on the hood of your car, belly down. People may look at you strange but if you press on a ball of play dough it gets flat right?
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    planks

more planks

and more planks :laugh:
    There are variations as well, so if you are use to the normal ones try some that are a little more challenging. Also by doing asymmetrical work outs engages your core.

HAVE FUN!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Deadlift, squat, farmers walk....
  • This works wonder if you do it right:

measure off 50-100 meters, preferably in a field:

1:00 plank hold, then
    Sprint to the other end, then
    1:00 plank hold, then repeat and alternate the left and right side plank holds, when you can't do a minute go down to 30 secs and so forth, when doing the sprints, concentrate on pulling your legs with your lower abs. Try to do it for at least 8 rds, remember down and back is one rd.