I've struggled for 2 months now--about to wave white flag

Options
2»

Replies

• Mylolamia
    Mylolamia Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You have done so well...don't give up. I was stuck at 20 lbs. over my goal, bad metabolism. No matter what I tried, nothing seemed to work. Joined this site, logging all calories consistently, getting at least 10,000 steps in with mostly walking...I know I need the exercise because the weight will not come off otherwise, made lots of supportive friends and now the weight is consistently falling off. Also noticing a big change in my shape as a result of the exercise.

You can do this, just give yourself the chance. Log your calories, do some exercise, even a couple of half-hour walks each day or more if you can. You can friend me if you'd like.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough by far.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    So. Looking at your profile it looks like you lost 29lbs from 7/24 to 10/12. That's almost 12lbs a month, which is a pretty extreme amount of weight to be losing. Furthermore, you lost 65lbs prior to that, I will assume at a similar rate.

Given your extreme rate of loss I assume you're probably starving yourself. A look at your diary seems to indicate the same. I would say that half the time you are netting 200-500 calories a day. The other half, you're either not logging at all (or not eating at all I suppose) or you're reaching maybe 1000 calories.

The problem with that kind of intake is that it does work - but only for a while. You're crash dieting, starving yourself, and eventually your body is just going to give up. I only went back 2 weeks in your diary but I assume this has been going on for quite some time.

If my assumptions ring true, my suggestion would be to calculate your maintenance calories (google it). Eat at maintenance for a minimum of 2 weeks (MEET that number, no deficit!). A month would be even better. You might put on a little weight, it's okay. Then utilize a small deficit. Shoot for something reasonable, 1lb a week (500 calorie a day deficit).

Long story short, I'm guessing you've probably destroyed your metabolism by starving yourself for too long. The body will adapt and eventually the weight loss will slow down or stop. People post about it about 50 billion times a day here, it's nothing new but it can be fixed. Eat more!
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    You know I am where you are, I lose some weight and then it is back, I do log EVERYTHING I eat or drink and I do EXERCISE everyday, some days more so than others. It is frustrating and I have been here for 9 months and lost bugger all. I get frustrated and fed up, but I won't GIVE up. One day I will hit the right menu and get all this excess weight off, my one drawback is the medications I am on, one I know for sure makes me gain weight, nothing I can do about that one it is essential to my health.

Keep going no matter what, if you want it bad enough it will happen.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hey there - sure seems like a lot of work sometimes, doesn't it? Certainly not something we'd ever think we'd have to be so focused on after 50, but here we are - and it's a good thing to be 50 and rockin' a healthy body! So, if you haven't already, give yourself a huge pat on the back because you have done absolutely fantastic work!

I don't know about you, but I have found this whole thing to be a lot harder once the hot flashes hit. I can't decide if it's the age... or THE age, if you know what I mean, but I can tell you one thing, I'm going down swinging and will stay as healthy as I can for as long as I can!!

Having said all of that, I've learned a few key things that may help point you in the right direction - here's what works for me:

1. Eat the right foods 90% of the time. I know there are folks online that say "a calorie is a calorie", but in my personal experience, that just ain't so. For a couple of reasons: the healthier food have less calories, so I can eat more and be satisfied, the healthier food is so much better for my body - and I'm planning on needing it for quite a few more years yet! and I just plain feel so much better when I eat healthier food. So, 90% of the time, my meals consist of a lean protein (chicken, fish, etc) and some healthy vegetables. Pretty simple and it works. If you find you need a healthy 'plan' to follow, check out "The Eat Clean Diet" by Tosca Reno. She's a 50 something too and her advice is absolutely sound.

2. Get enough sleep. Sounds silly, but believe it or not, it really makes a difference, especially as we get older. Don't know why - I was one of those sleep deprived do it all kids in my 20s and I was perfectly lean, but now, if I don't get my sleep, it seems like the weight just creeps up even if my food and exercise are right on.

3. Lift heavy things and put them down. Seriously. I read in a Dr. Oz post (and a few other places as well) that after the age of 30 you begin to lose muscle at an accelerated rate - unless you do something about it. That's a problem for a couple of reasons: your metabolism will drop so your body does not burn as many calories naturally and you are losing natural stability - meaning that if you happen to fall, you run a higher risk of breaking something. Lifting heavy weights helps keep and even increase your bone density (fights osteoporosis), helps keep your joints stable (balance), allows you to recover better from a fall (lessen the chance of breakage) and...keeps your metabolism humming along (you burn more calories). It's a complete win. I lift three times per week, which is the recommendation and you only lift every other day to give your muscles a chance to recover and repair. And no, you won't look like a she-Arnold. Women who have that over muscled look have to really work at it because it doesn't normally come naturally.

That's it. Three things that are the magic formula (for me, anyway). You'll still want to do some cardio for your heart a few times per week - it could just be walking or a cardio type workout, if that's what you prefer. You'll want to do your cardio on the days that you don't lift.

The folks who were mentioning eating enough were right too - your body needs fuel. Somebody gave a link a while back to an MFP post that talks your through figuring out how many calories you should be eating.

Sorry for the novel and I really do hope that this helps you! Congratulations on your success so far - you look fabulous and I know that if you stick with it, you'll reach your final goal!
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options

I don't want to go back to being the seriously overweight and unhappy person I was. I know the definition of stupid is doing the same thing and expecting a different result--so am I being stupid with the same exercise and food plan?! It worked for so long why not now?

HELP!

Other than the wisdom already imparted by others, which I strongly agree with (You need to eat more!), I can sympathize with your fear. But, you didn't gain the weight overnight, will not lose it overnight. As well, the closer you get to your goal weight, the slower it will come off. You've come too far to wave the flag. You need to also review your accomplishments. The best thing you can do right now, is throw out the scale. You are more than the sum of the numbers it's throwing at you. Take measurements, pictures, and also see if you can test your percentage of body fat with calipers.

Right now you sound very unhappy, even though your slimmer. Don't just become a smaller version of unhappy. 1200 cals is very difficult to maintain, and is pretty drastic. It may have gotten you this far, but the stress your feeling can be a by-product of what you are NOT eating. Feel free to friend me.......know where you've been!
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm going down swinging and will stay as healthy as I can for as long as I can!!
    1. Eat the right foods 90% of the time...
    2. Get enough sleep...
    All good advice here. I would just change the 3rd item to read:
    3. Move that body! Find something you love to do that doesn't feel like exercise and then do it. You may have to try a few things before you hit on that thing you like to do but once you find it, it won't be so hard to get moving.

I personally LOVE to swim and it's perfect for someone like me with broken-down knees. Now that I don't scare myself in a bathing suit anymore, it's even more fun.

Good luck to you on your journey. It's like the old Nike ad -- just do it!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    All good advice here. I would just change the 3rd item to read:
    3. Move that body! Find something you love to do that doesn't feel like exercise and then do it. You may have to try a few things before you hit on that thing you like to do but once you find it, it won't be so hard to get moving.

I personally LOVE to swim and it's perfect for someone like me with broken-down knees. Now that I don't scare myself in a bathing suit anymore, it's even more fun.

Good luck to you on your journey. It's like the old Nike ad -- just do it!

I would say "move that body" as a number 4. Don't discard strength training. It is absolutely the best thing you can do for you boady at every age! If you aren't keen on weightlifting, take up kettlebells or use resistance bands. Swimming is also a form of resistance training. Try some bodyweight exercises just to get started - but absolutely DO it!