Running Apps

Options
Does anyone use any running apps on their ipods? I am going to be buying a new ipod soon since mine finally died completely and want to try to get a running app that will track distance, pace, etc for when i run outside. What is your preference?

Replies

• debgoomey
    debgoomey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both use Endomondo. It tracks distance, time, calories burned and multiple different activites and it links directly to MFP now! We have both been happy with this app!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    How does the iPod track distance? Does it use a foot sensor?
    How accurate is the distance on it?
  • sassyfrass9
    sassyfrass9 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Kenneth i am not 100% sure. my old ipod was just a nano so it didnt have access to apps but i have researched it and there are apps that track that i think using gps capabilities. thats another reason i wanted to ask other opinions to see if anyone has used any and can judge their accuracy.
    or if someone can suggest something different to track my distance and pace outside running that would be wonderful.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    ipods can't track distance, route or pace since they haven't got 3G (or 4G) capability. You would need to use either a GPS tracker or iPhone (any smartphone). ipods are great when on wireless.

ETA: there are apps however that can give cues for intervals, such as C25k
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I don't know if iPods have GPS but you would have to have a GPS signal if you want to use a running app to track your distance, time, pace, etc. If you have a smartphone then you could use edomondo, runtastic, mapmyrun...
    Or you could get a GPS watch. I don't have one myself but I'm looking into getting one.
  • melindadunston
    Options

Seriously? Smartphones have GPS's

Oh and to answer your question. I have used both mapmyrun and endomondo and highly prefer endomondo!
  • melindadunston
    Options

• TheBrolympus
    Options
    if someone can suggest something different to track my distance and pace outside running that would be wonderful.

I use a Garmin HR monitor that is GPS enabled and it's great. Will track HR, Pace, Distance, and you can load the track to an online app like Garmin Connect, Strava, etc.

I was just curious about the iPod, since I run with my phone streaming Pandora and have been thinking about getting a new iPod.
  • TheBrolympus
    Options

The iPod is not a smartphone. Thanks for the snarky response!
  • melindadunston
    Options

Oh and to answer your question. I have used both mapmyrun and endomondo and highly prefer endomondo!

oooohhhh I thought you said a iphone don't know if ipods have gps or not but yes whatever device you are using must have gps.
  • melindadunston
    Options

The iPod is not a smartphone. Thanks for the snarky response!

Yes I was correcting myself when you posted this! My bad. Guess I'm the stupid one:) Sorry!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options

I've only ever used mapmyrun and like it. It tells me everything I could possibly want it to. What makes you prefer endomondo? Wondering if I should switch..
  • Corryn78
    Options
    ipods can't track distance, route or pace since they haven't got 3G (or 4G) capability. You would need to use either a GPS tracker or iPhone (any smartphone). ipods are great when on wireless.

sorry for the repost...I'm just a gadget nerd and wanted to make sure nobody buys an ipod thinking they can stream music or track distance!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You can use Nike+ its a free app for iPod; it tracks distance using GPS. It's very accurate and I like it a lot. It calculates your calories by your weight, height and gender. It's probably not as accurate as an HRT but it is as good as any calculator short of HRT. Mine is right on for distance when I'm running on marked trails....I like that you can have it give you feedback at any distance; I like every 1/4 mile...this helps keep me motivated on my runs. Sometimes on long runs I ignore it but sometimes I am trying to beat a previous record and listen for it (you can play your music while it is going and it just breaks in)....I broke both my 5K and 10K record on Sunday. 5K under 25 minutes and 10K under 50 minutes.

Edit - I have an iPod touch
  • melindadunston
    Options
    Endomondo cuts into your music and tells you when you reach each mile, and how long it took. Also endomondo tracks calories as well. It also seems to be more accurate.
  • Corryn78
    Options
    You can use Nike+ its a free app for iPod; it tracks distance using GPS. It's very accurate and I like it a lot. It calculates your calories by your weight, height and gender. It's probably not as accurate as an HRT but it is as good as any calculator short of HRT. Mine is right on for distance when I'm running on marked trails....I like that you can have it give you feedback at any distance; I like every 1/4 mile...this helps keep me motivated on my runs. Sometimes on long runs I ignore it but sometimes I am trying to beat a previous record and listen for it (you can play your music while it is going and it just breaks in)....I broke both my 5K and 10K record on Sunday. 5K under 25 minutes and 10K under 50 minutes.

Your ipod has a GPS??

http://gps.about.com/od/mobilephonegps/a/iPod-Touch-GPS.htm
  • jfontanna
    jfontanna Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There's also an app that I use called Zombies, Run!
    It's a story based run tracker. Kind of fun, if you're into zombies.

http://www.zombiesrungame.com/

Available for iphone, ipod touch and android phones. Not available for blackberry (does anyone use BBs for anything other than work?)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Endomondo cuts into your music and tells you when you reach each mile, and how long it took. Also endomondo tracks calories as well. It also seems to be more accurate.

Mapmyrun does the same thing.
  • Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options

You can track all of those things without an internet connection....but you do need a GPS receiver. Does an iPod have one?
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    There are two Nike apps One is Nike + ipod, and the other is called "running", the Nike + ipod is, well, used mainly with an ipod that doesn't have GPS you can get the foot pod. If you use an iphone (or other smart phone) you can get the Nike Running app which uses GPS and if on a treadmill if you have your device strapped to your arm it can measure your distance and everything by your arm swing.
    I don't believe any of the other apps (map my run) and such would work on an ipod because they work off of Wifi (I"m not a technology genius, but that is they way I understand it all to work :)