Am I doing enough??? Should I try harder workouts???

Options
Just curious... I've noticed a lot of people do high intensity workouts, P90X, Intensity, etc.. I've also noticed a lot of heavy lifting people. What I'm curious about is when did you guys start this stuff? I mean, I'm 100 pounds overweight, I walk, do some yoga, and do push-ups and stuff, but that stuff is hard for me! I want to eventually run, lift, do high intensity, and all that, but I can barely do what I do! Did a lot of you start like me or did you start with those harder workouts? I guess I'm mostly directing this at those who have had a lot to lose and were very out of shape. Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• Amazonbella
    Options
    Everyone will be different. Before I injured my knee I was playing volleyball 3 hours a night. I would play two-on-two sand volleyball in 90 degree weather...today I'm lucky to get in 30 minutes of cardio....partially due to the injuries but also because of the weight gain. As weight comes off obviously you can start taking on more as far as weights, longer periods of time, higher intensity, ect. Remember your body will tell you what you can and can not take, just don't over do and end up hurting yourself because that kind of set back can take a lot of time to recover from. If you feel you need to add more start out slowly each day and build up. You are doing great! :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere..and wherever YOUR somewhere is, then start there and progress at your own rate.
    You can add harder stuff as you get stronger/faster but if you start out hell for leather, you may not keep at it and you risk injury.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    Start off slow, it sounds like you are on the right track. The more stamina you build and the more strength you gain will hprepare you for more difficult workouts
  • jeweljeans
    jeweljeans Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Everybody's intensity levels are different. If you feel your giving it your best right now, that's all you have. Pretty soon, you will find what you are doing is getting easier! Then up your intensity. Baby steps. Stick with it!
  • BohemianCoast
    BohemianCoast Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I started with a commitment to 30 minutes of cardio nearly every day (at least 6 times a week) -- that was in June before I started logging food. At first I walked, and played Wii games (particularly Dance Dance Revolution). I mixed in badminton with my family quite soon after that. I had more than 100 pounds to lose at that stage. I also started doing counter pressups to begin to work on my upper body strength. In September I started C25K, and now I'm running three times a week, with a tentative plan to do a half marathon in March if I can get my speed and endurance up enough. I do badminton, Zumba, dance or walking on non-running days, and I do a half-hearted bodyweight strength workout 2-3 times a week.

I think most days, the best amount of exercise to do is just a tiny bit more than you did the previous day. (The exception for me would be the day after my 'long' runs (currently 4 and a bit miles), when I do dial it back a bit).
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I used to be able to do so much more, but honestly a 40 minute walk a day and some strength training is pretty rough! I do go out and play with the kids and kick the soccer ball around or swing with them. I'm hoping someday to be able to run a marathon as well! I want my kids, (my daughter especially, she is almost 4 and starting to notice differences in people's bodies) to be active and have a positive self-image.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I walked for the first 6 months, that's it. It's no big deal, you can work your way up over time.

Having said that, "doing enough" depends on what your goals are. If you're just looking to lose weight, you can do just about anything (including zero exercise). If you want to get in shape, it all depends on what kind of shape you want to be in.
  • MissCarter79
    MissCarter79 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I want to lose some weight first and then after I lose 30-50 pounds really start getting in shape. The extra weight makes it hard to do some things. My body doesn't want to bend and move as easily as it should!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    You're doing something which is a great start - just don't be afraid to push yourself as well and to step out of your comfort zone; getting uncomfortable can be a good thing.

Make lil changes - carry hand weights while you walk
    Try and do some jumping jacks for 30 seconds
    Jumping rope for 30 seconds.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Dont wattil your in shape to get in shape :P start now do what ever you can and don't be afraid to push yourself.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” T.S. Eliot
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    There have been people who start P90X and the like with as much if not more weight to lose. But its all about comfort. However, to get the best results you sometimes have to push out of your comfort level. P90X has a lean version and you can do it at your pace and your intensity. There are days that I do it and I'm full of energy and shoot through the ceiling other days...not so much and I just walk through -BUT....I'm doing it!!
    Don't use the word can't - use "I'll do my best". I say if you want to do P90X, then do it!! If you want to do Crossfit, then do it. But if you rather not just yet- set up your first mini goal. 25lbs lost and you buy Insanity, P90 or 30DS!

The thing to remember you need to push yourself! You have to want to to achieve it! Don't settle for less - you are worth it!
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Start somewhere, as long as you're moving it is good.

I started with Biggest Loser workout DVDs because I wasn't even comfortable going to a gym at the size i was, let alone, I would get out of breath very easily.

Work on your cardio endurance and i would lift some sort of weights. The DVDs i did incorporated weights (they were light albeit, but they got me into lifting and moving)

Try one of the Biggest loser DVDs.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    You have to push yourself or your going to stay at the same level. When I started working out I couldn't even do 3 pushups. Now with Insanity I'm doing wayyyyyy more. Insanity was very hard for me in the beginning, but I stuck to it. You will get there, but definitely should get workouts out of your comfort zone to see results.
  • jilleebean777
    jilleebean777 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am l close to, if not 100lbs over weight. I started Insanity last night. I push myself, but I know my limits as well. If I feel like I can't breath, I stop only until I catch it and am under control again. They even tell you, go at your pace. If you can only do 15 of 30 seconds, HEY YOU'RE STILL DOING IT!! I thought I was going to vomit last night (and it was just the fit test!) But I am determined this time to get it done!

Keep it up, and you never know what you can accomplish!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    There's no frickin' way I could have done what I do now when I started.

I started with walking, then moved on to Couch to 5k, then started EA Sports Active 2 on the Playstation, then ran regularly, then started lifting with machines, and now run and lift with free weights.

Are you getting the results you want? Are you whupped after a workout? Then you're doing enough. If you're not getting results and you're not tired or sore at all from your workouts, do more.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i agree that you should start off slow. the first exercise I started back on (and i was 25 lb heavier) was jillian michaels 30 day shred. it was a 20 minute workout. i really enjoyed it, so then i did some longer jillian workouts. i moved on to turbo jam. then insanity. then i started running. all of this in about 1.5 year's time. so there is no rush to do anything intense right away. take your time. discover what you like. also don't be afraid to try lifting some weights too!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    I agree with what everyone else has said.

When I started, I had about 60 lbs to lose to start. My biggest problem was I lsot a LOT of muscle tone and my cardio SUCKED! I started out slow by just walking. Everyday I would try to go a little bit further. After awhile, I felt that my body could do more and I had to push a little more so, I started my Turbo Jam program. Next, I am going to do Turbo Fire.

It is all about what YOUR body can do. Some people can do better by just jumping into something more intense becuase they arent that out of shape. Other have to take baby steps...it is a "To Each Their Own" philosophy!

Dont take it easy on yourself tho...make it burn a little bit...get a little bit out of breath. Dont completely drain yourself to start but, know that it is better to give yourself a little more and not be able to finish then not knowing if you can do it or not. Case-in-point: After about 2 months of my Turbo Jam Program, I participated in a 5K Memorial Walk/Run...not prizes or anything but, fun and a good way to participate in a 5K. At that point, i didnt think I could really run anything. But, I ended up running the first 1/4 mile...more then DOUBLE what I could run before. AND, I kept running on and off throughout the whole 5K. I pushed myself becuase ocne I got so far, I realized I could do more. I wouldnt have known if I could do it unless I DID it!!

GOOD LUCK and listen to your body!!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Always push yourself.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just curious... I've noticed a lot of people do high intensity workouts, P90X, Intensity, etc.. I've also noticed a lot of heavy lifting people. What I'm curious about is when did you guys start this stuff? I mean, I'm 100 pounds overweight, I walk, do some yoga, and do push-ups and stuff, but that stuff is hard for me! I want to eventually run, lift, do high intensity, and all that, but I can barely do what I do! Did a lot of you start like me or did you start with those harder workouts? I guess I'm mostly directing this at those who have had a lot to lose and were very out of shape. Thanks for any feedback!

Do what you can and work your way up. No one starts out running five miles and lifting 300 pounds.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I would take step by step everyone is not experts at this at the begining we progress take your time and its important to enjoy if you dont enjoy it chances are you wont stick with it