Looking for Any Friends! 5'3" with small goal--

Options
Hello everyone :]

I joined MFP a while ago but was never active/diligent with the tracking or the exercise. I've always felt "ok" with my appearance and weight but through a series of crappy relationships I've really come to hate the way I look. I feel like even my current boyfriend has been dropping hints that I'm not "up to par" with his usual lady standards. Regardless, it's time to change the way *I* feel about myself and how I look. Please friend me, would love any and all support !

My current info:

Height: 5'3"
Weight: 124 lb

Goal: 100-105 lb (less about the # and more about how I look/feel)

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I think what you need to change is the way you THINK. 124lbs is small for that height.

I cant recommend heavy lifting enough for making you feel good about your body. It puts the focus on function instead of being 'skinny'. It will also give you that 'tight' look most small people want and think dieting will get them.
  • milo8912
    Options
    I've always felt 124 was in the middle. Even at 115 a few months ago (stressed, post-break up) I still seemed to look the same. I have friends who weigh 120 who look 105, and friends who weigh 105 that look 120. Not sure, but I want to stick to my 100-105lb goal.

I will throw this out there though, I hate running. Bought a jumprope from Amazon to try and do this as cardio instead. Any thoughts?
  • emilyteapot
    emilyteapot Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I am the same height as you, but cursed with unfortunate big boobs (inherited from every woman on my dad's side of the family) so I don't think I will ever get to 105lb!

<
    My current goal though is my profile pic (taken July 2011) where I weighed 135lb but wore a UK size 6-8 (US size 2-4). I think I weighed so much because I was always in the gym and muscle is heavy!

The dream is 110lb, but I am aiming for 120-125lb, or to just feel and look better.

I got very poorly this year with a viral illness (pneumonia) and was unable to exercise for months (I could barely even walk) so PILED on a lot of weight quickly - I looked and felt like a sack of potatoes! So I joined MFP in May and slowly managed to lose some of the weight...I say slowly as there were a couple of holidays which set me back big time!!!

Managed to lose nearly a stone so far though, woohoo!!

Can we be MFP friends? :)

Emily xx

ps. I felt GREAT and was skinny last autumn (ridiculously skinny, it is partly why I got poorly) but the guy I was with then was making the same comments. Don't let your boyfriend ruin your self esteem, as it will prob cause more weight problems in the future - if he makes comments again, tell him you are losing the weight for *you* and he should appreciate you at 100lb or 300lb ;)
  • amy1612
    Options
    I've always felt 124 was in the middle. Even at 115 a few months ago (stressed, post-break up) I still seemed to look the same. I have friends who weigh 120 who look 105, and friends who weigh 105 that look 120. Not sure, but I want to stick to my 100-105lb goal.

I will throw this out there though, I hate running. Bought a jumprope from Amazon to try and do this as cardio instead. Any thoughts?

Seriously, Lift heavy things. Squat, deadlift and bench as much as you can, and increase often. You may not lose pounds, but your body composition will change and your lean body mass increase.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4.5 and going for 122-125. I dont' think that's too small for my height, I have a small frame. BMI indicators say 5'4 can be as low as 108 lb... i think i would feel better if i lost a little more belly fat, personally. So I have about 7 lb to lose to get to my goal weight. If I was an inch shorter, i'd probably do about 117-120... but that is up to you what your goal weight is. Feel free to add me. I lift heavy weights and also do cardio. I think this helps with the body fat percentage to get it lower.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I agree, weight train. It has been the best decision I ever made. I still do cardio, but love, love, love my weight training days. Feel free to add me if you would like. :smile:
  • niccup
    niccup Posts: 32
    Options
    Hey there! 124 lbs is very small for your height. I am the same height and my goal is 125-130lbs. I wonder if maybe you are wanting to be more toned and fit rather than just losing weight. Of course whatever you feel is what you should do, I just wanted to let you know that 120lbs of muscle is very attractive and easy to achieve at your age especially. Some interval training would be awesome for you if your up to it. 10 to 20 minutes a day of intervals like: say you like to run: 20 seconds of fast running then walk for 1 minute ( to bring your heart rate back down) then 20 seconds of fast run and 1 minute of walk etc..........This is the fastest and most efficient way to burn fat. Do this 3X a week and you will see a big difference. Of course you have to add in a healthy diet, eating enough is the biggest thing. At least 1500 calories a day. This type of exercise will keep you burning fat even when you are at rest and busy doing other things the rest of your day. Hope this helps and if you want, add me to your friends list, mfp friends and I are busy burning fat too:)
  • wennifer07
    Options
    Hi! I am 5'2" and looking to lose just a little bit as well. What is your plan in terms of exercising?
  • milo8912
    Options
    I'm going to jump rope for 30 minutes 5 times a week, with some basic interval training (pushups, situps, squats, lunges). Also wanted to try some of Maria Menounos's Krav Maga moves from her workout.

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/real-plans/celebrity/maria-menounos-krav-maga-workout/
  • emilyteapot
    Options
    UUUUUUGHHH I hate running too...hate it with a PASSION!! I am also far too much of a wuss to do weight lifting, plus I don't want to build too much muscle on my arms.

I can't recommend ZUMBA highly enough for cardio + toning all in one.

Dancing in general is brilliant, as you are not bulking up or working on only certain areas (biceps, thighs etc), but are working many different muscle groups at once. It also helps to build a lean physique, as the focus on extension and strength (as opposed to muscle building), and the improved posture and way of holding yourself mean that you appear taller and slimmer.

But yeah - Zumba, join the party! It is sooooo much fun too, and being in a class setting really helps with motivation :) x
  • milo8912
    Options
    Would love to try but I'm a huge beginner! The classes seem extremely fast paced..
  • milo8912
    Options
    This is at 124lb currently...

8B8B6A98-740F-4B10-BE32-A6B224C5D637-150-00000001FC804E7E-1.jpg

71F81C58-152B-4F86-B500-F8D8EC950B27-150-00000001F3D7968A-1.jpg

Was sitting for the better part of the morning, hence the button imprint under my belly lol.
  • emilyteapot
    Options
    Oh my goodness you do not need to lose weight! If I looked like you, I'd delete this app and have a celebratory bottle of wine!

*Zumba is actually pretty accessible...in most classes the inexperienced people stand at the back and more experienced at the front, and you can work at your own pace...though they are basic routines that are quite easy to pick up. I think it is easier than the Wii Fit!
  • milo8912
    Options
    That sounds great! Now to find someone who can attend with me locally.. :\
  • MRSmandra1
    Options
    HEY, YOU ARE A NICE PRETTY YOUNG LADY, I AM 58 AND SINGLE, BUT AM MUCH MUCH HEAVIER, AND I GET INVOLVED IN GIRL SCOUTS, DOING VOLUNTEER YEARLY WORK FOR THE CITY I LIVE IN, AND WORK EVERY DAY TALKING TO PEOPLE WHO ARE IN A LOT WORSE SHAPE THAN I AM IN. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS, LOVE YOURSELF, KEEP SLIM AND HEALTHY, THRU EATING GOOD FOODS, LAY OFF THE SUGARS, AND CARBS, AS WELL AS THE CAFFEINE, ALL WHICH WILL CAUSE YOU TO BECOME DEPRESSED, DRINK A LOT OF WATER, WHICH CLEANS YOUR BLOOD, AND HELPS IMPROVE YOUR METABOLISM. IF YOU ARE IN A EXCERCISE CLASS, DONT GIVE UP, YOU ARE TOO YOUNG AND HAVE A LOT OF TIME LEFT IN YOUR LIFE, AND NO ONE EVERY SAID YOU HAD TO BE IN A HURRY TO LIVE IT ! MY GOAL IS TO LOSE 150 IN 2 YEARS, I BELIEVE IN MYSELF TO MAKE IT HAPPEN, AND TO HECK WITH ANYONE WHO THINKS I CAN'T DO IT , AND IF I CAN , YOU CAN DO WHAT YOU BELIEVE IN !
  • amy1612
    Options
    These are my 12 week lifting results, Im around 128lbs in the first pic, and around 125lbs in the second

nxtgya.jpg

Also, caffeine doesnt cause depression, and water doesnt 'clean your blood'. Nonsense.
  • milo8912
    Options
    First pic is kind of dark but I can see a huge difference in your midsection, nice work!

I have a lower goal because I want very much to slim *and* tone, not just tone.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    First pic is kind of dark but I can see a huge difference in your midsection, nice work!

I have a lower goal because I want very much to slim *and* tone, not just tone.

Then you must listen to the hot lady who lifts. You dont need to lose weight, just body fat %, and lifting heavy will get ya there!
  • curigiri
    Options
    ughh i'm at your side girl, some people might think we are trying to get size 0, but its not

i'm 5'2" and my currently weight 125lbs, everyone when hearing this number would say, you are skinny already and any other things, but i'm not talking about the number here, if i'm checking on body weight chart it would written normal, but the fact i'm carrying muffin top and mama arms around, that's clearly excessive fat that need to be burned, i would like to post my pict, but i'm too shy since its looked very awful

my program for weight loss is running 3x a week, yoga on the rest and strength training, so far i could see the some progress :)
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3. My goal weight is 120-125.

I have been 105, my bones showed a lot and I was too skinny.

It's not so much about your weight #, but how much body fat % you have..