mexican restaurant... what to eat??

Options
So its my friend's birthday today and we are going out to eat at a local mexican restaurant.... Im not sure if I will even want to eat cause dinner is at like 9 and thats really late, but if my willpower is low later on today, what would be a good idea of something to order? Or should I just stay strong and not eat that late???

Thanks bunches :happy:

Replies

• sprags
    sprags Posts: 56
    Options
    Not sure exactly what to tell you...other than stick to ONE type of carb: rice OR tortilla (not both). Mexican food is my absolute favorite, and the best thing my nutritionist could tell me was to STAY AWAY FROM THE CHIPS AND SALSA!

And drink water water water! Fills you up so you don't go overboard. It took me months to avoid the chips...go will power!

Good luck!
  • skinnykate
    Options
    quacomole bec it's clean ingredients - avocado (good fat), lime, jalapenos... can't go wrong
  • da4uvus
    da4uvus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my husbands favorite place to eat. I would say we go there a couple times a month. If you find you can't resist but order, stick with the tostada's. If you order it w/out beans and don't eat the shell, it's more of a salad than anything. Some mexican restaurants I've been to also have their own house salad that you can order as a side. Good luck!
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I would do a taco salad. Lettuce, tomato, cheese (optional), veggies, blackbeans, pico, etc. You can eat a lot for little calories as long as you avoid that super tempting fried taco shell!! Avoid it like the plague!! :laugh:

I also put my chips and salsa on a plate and don't keep eating- once your serving is done, so are you. And I know its tough- but margaritas are the worst!! Stick with a mixed drink or water.

I loooove Mexican food and think you shouldn't miss out on the fun and festivities! Just plan ahead and have fun!
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I usually order grilled chicken (or chicken fajitas), no tortillas. I ask for beans (without lard) and I top with lettuce, guac and lots of salsa.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    quacomole bec it's clean ingredients - avocado (good fat), lime, jalapenos... can't go wrong

ONLY REASON I EAT AT MEXICAN PLACES, MMMMMMMMMM
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Taco salad, only eat half? (Depends on the restaurant - how high in calories the salad would actually be.... but you could order with light sour cream and guac on the side - ignore the shell part... ) ??

Good luck!

Otherwise - you could have a healthy snack before you go (veggies, carrots, fruit?) to keep your appetite in check, then when you go, order something you've decided on ahead of time that will keep you w/in your limit... ?
  • jcompton3821
    Options
    Be careful of the chips and salsaaa!!!! My meal usually ends up not being all that horrible on calories, but then I have to go back and add in the chips and salsa!!! and then it WAY TO MUCH for one meal.....good luck...everything is moderation, right?!?!?!?! :drinker:
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do taco salad with cheese and chicken on the side no dressing, salsa instead and no guacomole or sour cream. I also eat the fried shell but I make sure that I have enough calories for it. :)
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I usually order grilled chicken (or chicken fajitas), no tortillas. I ask for beans (without lard) and I top with lettuce, guac and lots of salsa.

This is exactly what I would get, you're getting lean protein in the chicken and beans, veggies, and a healthy fat in the guacamole, and it's all so yummy!