Oatmeal yuck

Options
I just made my first attempt at fixing oatmeal at home. I tried to make maple and brown sugar oatmeal and it was disgusting. How does someone ruin oatmeal? lol. I cooked the oats for about 5 minutes, the container said to cook for about 8. Could that have affected the tasted that much? Or am I so used to Quaker Instant it's going to take some getting used to ?

1/2 cup Wholesome goodness old fashion oats, 1 tsp veg. spread, 2 tsp brown sugar, 1.5 tsp aunt jemima original, 1 tsp cinnamon. 1 cup water.

Stirred the oats into boiling water, reduced heat to medium. Cooked for about 5 minutes and they started getting thick so I removed and added the other ingredients.

Edited to add ingredients and procedure. I really didn't anyone would respond lol.

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is the cornerstone of any good low carb diet. Kudos to you for making the attempt.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If you are used to the instant oats, it will take a while to get used to the longer cooking oats. You'll have to play around with it until you find a recipe you like too.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is the cornerstone of any good low carb diet. Kudos to you for making the attempt.

?
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Was it disgusting because you added too much water? Or did you follow that to the tee. If you used as much water as it said, but under cooked it that could be why. Just play with water till you get the consistency you like, then start adding flavors to it. I find that any time I go to eat oatmeal, I can't stand it if it's even slightly runny. I like it thick. Then I add some cinnamon to it and a packet of splenda and I'm good to go!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal. It is a texture thing for me but I just cannot eat it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I find it helps if I put bacon and eggs on it.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Not sure what kind you are using or how you are cooking it, but mine calls for 3 minutes in the microwave so to me 5-8 minutes seems pretty long. Is that stove top? From a ratio perspective, the ones I've had also call for 1:2 for oats to liquid - again, not sure what you used. One other thing, I use a mix of 1% milk and almond milk instead of water. I like how much creamier it tastes that way. Add in some chocolate protein powder, flax meal and a banana and it's delicious! I hope you are able to make it work.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Was it disgusting because you added too much water? Or did you follow that to the tee. If you used as much water as it said, but under cooked it that could be why. Just play with water till you get the consistency you like, then start adding flavors to it. I find that any time I go to eat oatmeal, I can't stand it if it's even slightly runny. I like it thick. Then I add some cinnamon to it and a packet of splenda and I'm good to go!

I did use the amount of water it called for, so under cooking could have been the problem. At about 5 minutes it appeared to be getting thick so I removed it from the burner, I have no idea what I'm doing ha. It was so bad. On the other hand, it felt like there was much more to eat than what comes in the little pre made packs.
  • jmjm55077
    Options
    ^^with bacon and eggs is how I fix mine too:-)
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    lol yes I might try adding bacon and eggs!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I just made my first attempt at fixing oatmeal at home. I tried to make maple and brown sugar oatmeal and it was disgusting. How does someone ruin oatmeal? lol. I cooked the oats for about 5 minutes, the container said to cook for about 8. Could that have affected the tasted that much? Or am I so used to Quaker Instant it's going to take some getting used to ?

What didn't you like? The texture? Taste? Was it burnt or something?
    It was probably more chewey then you are used to if you usually have instant.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

I did use the amount of water it called for, so under cooking could have been the problem. At about 5 minutes it appeared to be getting thick so I removed it from the burner, I have no idea what I'm doing ha. It was so bad. On the other hand, it felt like there was much more to eat than what comes in the little pre made packs.

I bring mine to a boil and then turn the heat down a little bit and cook it for five minutes - stirring a lot. Then I turn off the fire and cover it and let it sit for a few minutes. It's perfect every time - like everything I do.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I find it helps if I put bacon and eggs on it.

Yes, and perhaps skip the oatmeal.

Problem solved.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

Follow the instructions next time.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I hate oatmeal. It is a texture thing for me but I just cannot eat it.

I used to feel this way about oatmeal also. I actually liked the taste, but could not STAND the texture. But I heard about overnight oats, and now I eat oatmeal every morning. Instaed of cooking it, I put it in a container in the fridge overnight it some almond mik, and add chia seeds, pb2, nuts, etc. Then the next morning it is yummy!!!
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Speaking of eggs, I fried an egg this morning, like I do almost everyday, and it was terrible too. I've had the flu for the past week and the meds have affected my taste buds, but I really didn't expect the oatmeal to be as bad as it was.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I burned a Lean Pocket yesterday.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options

Follow the instructions next time.

Thanks lol.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and maple syrup.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I burned a Lean Pocket yesterday.

Suddenly I feel accomplished. ha