Salt addicts, going cold turkey. How did you do it?

Options
I have decided to finally give up my salt. I am an addict and I admit it. I use it on way to many things and use WAY to much on those foods.

Some foods taste really disgusting with out salt to me (tomatoes, cottage cheese, eggs, potatoes). I have previously tried cutting out salt on all items but those few. But I always seem to slip back into the habit.

A month back I had traded my diet/caffeine free coke for Diet Rite since it has no sodium.

Any recommendations on how to kick the salt habit?

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I found that in a couple of weeks my tastes adjusted. Things that I used to put extra salt on, are too salty to me now even without the extra shake.
    Go sweet and sour or spicy and savoury to get some extra zing while you adjust.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Very gradually. The more you get used to eating less of it, it will start to taste gross to you.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I started using pepper or lemon pepper. As long as its the no salt added kind. Lemon gives a kinda salty taste to things without having to go straight cold turkey (which for me was nearly impossible lol...)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I didn't go cold turkey. Acclimating your tastebuds to less salt takes time. Gradually back off the salt and your tastebuds will adjust and you'll be able to get by on far less.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Just don't go too low! Your body needs some to function. I assume you're trakcng sodium in your diary?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Make sure the it's not cured turkey
  • jenlipe
    jenlipe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I will still cook with it. And I eat lunch meat occasionally. I still get quite a bit of sodium in my diet (a lot of time over) without adding more.

I am also very lucky it doesn't mess with my blood pressure. Last time I was in, my BP was 95/67.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I found that in a couple of weeks my tastes adjusted. Things that I used to put extra salt on, are too salty to me now even without the extra shake.
    Go sweet and sour or spicy and savoury to get some extra zing while you adjust.

This is how I got rid of my dependence on sugary foods for the most part; when you go a while without adding salt to food, you'll probably find that you don't want that much salt anymore. And sodium is not salt - If you're looking to decrease your sodium, as you know, you will need to cut back on not only salty foods, but foods high in sodium.

One of the major reasons I don't add salt to my food personally is because of other spices like black pepper, cayenne, herbs, and of course hot sauce, that have a lot of flavor but no real nutritional detriment. Maybe try to use different spices on your eggs. My BF likes eggs with hot sauce. Trust me, you won't need any salt
  • Firefox7275
    Firefox7275 Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Read the labels on everything and start with eliminating/ choosing a lower salt alternative for the highest salt items - stock cubes, ham and bacon, ready meals, premade sandwiches, Vegemite, pizzas and so on. Switch to Lo Salt (part potassium which opposes the action of sodium in the body) for cooking and try a little less or use a reduced salt stock powder. Flavour your potatoes, eggs, tomatoes and cottage cheese with spices, no salt yeast extract, garlic or reduced salt sauces and condiments. Don't try to eat them plain if you don't like that: tomatoes are really good with balsamic vinegar, potatoes and eggs with paprika and so on. Marigold reduced salt vegetable bouillon is really good if you can get hold of it. Remember even if you only replace a quarter or a half of the sodium you eat currently over a period of time you are doing great for your health.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I have to watch sodium closely as I'm super sensitive to it. I retain water very easily and it raises my blood pressure.

I've become very label conscious. A typical spaghetti sauce has about 500 mg sodium per half cup, but I've found a delicious alternative that is 240 mg/half cup. Though I don't eat a lot of chips, some chips only salt the exterior of the chip reducing the sodium count.

It pays to read labels.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    switch to pepper - black, red, or white.

adds zip so you can desalinate.

bonus: "Piperine, present in black pepper acts as a thermogenic compound. Piperine enhances the thermogenesis of lipid and accelerates energy metabolism in the body and also increases the serotonin and beta-endorphin production in the brain."
    - wikipedia
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Salt isnt bad for you unless you have elevated BP.
  • lisavirani
    lisavirani Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    just do it cold turkey like you said. Cut out all added salt. Throw out your table salt at home so you cant be tempted to use it. If you do it gradually, or only with some foods but not others, it will take longer, and it will be harder. This is just my opinion though :) If you cut out ALL added salt today, in 2 weeks, I bet you wont feel the need to add it.
  • ilovescarymovies
    ilovescarymovies Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    ms. dash!
  • Katiedid717
    Katiedid717 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, fresh-ground black pepper, cinnamon, lemon, curry, cumin...so many ways to season food without salt!
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Just keep gradually reducing the amount of salt you put on things. You can still use it, just not as much.

Personally, I replaced salt with pepper. Instead of putting salt on everything, I started using pepper instead.
  • LaAliceUm7
    Options
    herbs try different spices to flavor things up like basil is SO good on tomatoes! Garlic is freaking delish on ANYTHING. Thyme is really good on potatoes or rosemary! Lemon squeeze your cravings away. Lemon made a HUGE difference for me. And don't punish yourself. If you really really need a little...just cut back how much.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have decided to finally give up my salt. I am an addict and I admit it. I use it on way to many things and use WAY to much on those foods.

Some foods taste really disgusting with out salt to me (tomatoes, cottage cheese, eggs, potatoes). I have previously tried cutting out salt on all items but those few. But I always seem to slip back into the habit.

A month back I had traded my diet/caffeine free coke for Diet Rite since it has no sodium.

Any recommendations on how to kick the salt habit?

You just do it. But be careful not to mess up your electrolyte balance. Inform your doctor first.
  • firelle
    firelle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Salt is in everything anyway :), so for when I have the choice to add additional sodium (like Adobo seasoning) I just use a seasoning substitute without it (like Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute, Mrs. Dash's Lemon Pepper).
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I started using other seasonings (herbs and spices). Try other things that you like in place of the salt - you might find that you love freshly cracked black pepper, or vinegar or garlic... the list is endless.

I still love salt on certain things, but I found it easier to get to a point of using a reasonable amount once I started using other seasonings in my cooking. Cutting out processed foods made a big difference for me as well, because once I wasn't used to having so much salt - now I find I really taste it with just a little bit.