Working out when you have Injuries-what do you do?

Options
From the time I was in 8th grade until last year I played volleyball, hours and hours! In highschool I started worked out on a regular basis and lifted weights. I've already had a surgery on one knee, and a reconstructive foot surgery (after a 45 lb weight smashed my foot my senior year of h.s.). In the past year and a half I have injured my other knee (and havent been able to have surgery due to no insurance) and then this May I broke my ankle and spent 4 months on Crutches. In this time I've gained about 60 pounds and am wanting to lose it again, for good, but can not do the 1-2 hour workouts 2-3 times a day I did before, nor can I do the intensity I once did (as I also have 4 bulging disks in my back-so programs like Insanity are out of the question).

I know I am the kind of girl who needs to workout in order to see weightloss....and having been an athelete I don't mind working hard and sweating. Yes diet is super important and I am committed to eatting healthy and staying within my calories....which is why I joined this site, but what other suggestions might you have for someone with multiple injuries that can help with weightloss: Currently I am trying to do 20-30min. a day on my treadmill. I have done Pilates in the past, and although swimming is a GREAT ideal (also brought up by my doctor) this girl is NOT getting in a swimsuit until I lose a lot more weight. I do have an Xbox Kinect if there are any recommended programs to try using that: THANKS!!! :)

Replies

• Drewillbeback111
    Options
    I love bicycle riding. I ride a mountain bike. Most of my buddies ride both road bikes and mountain bikes. Its a great calorie burner, and not bad on knees and backs. I have a bad back from the old days, I squated over 500 pounds in my younger days.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Depends on the injury. I attempt to work around it, if possible.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    After all that on your feet and knee, I'd recommend bicycling. Nothing crazy, just bike around town or hang out on a stationary bike until you're nice and sweaty. Was it the intensity of your workouts causing the injuries?

And I've had smaller injuries where I decided to just take a break from everything active (except a bit of walking) and tighten up my diet. It wasn't much fun but it's good discipline :)
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    I think the recumbent bike is a good way to go. Since I haven't had surgery yet on the other knee anything with squats or lunges is out of the question, and a lot of those programs incorporate moves like that. I had a recumbent bike but didn't have room for both it and my treadmill...I think Ill check out my apartment gym and see if they have a recumbent bike tonight! :)