Need some help with Self Sabotage

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!!

*runs and hides*

:bigsmile:

sorry.

:explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode: :explode:

C'mon!!! I even dedicated that one to you!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Personally, I refuse to label any food as "junk." I make sure to get plenty of protein, and I usually save enough calories each day to have a dessert after dinner. I am able to stop myself from a binge on high calorie foods because I let myself eat a little bit of yummy each day. I know that tomorrow will come, and *only then* will I eat another dessert.

I hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

*runs and hides*

sorry.

:laugh: :laugh: :drinker: :drinker:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

*runs and hides*

sorry.

:smooched:
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Personally, I allow myself 1 meal...ONCE weekly to do this.
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    stop thinking about it and talking about it and just put your money where your mouth is already
    that's why we ♥ ya UV, excellent advice \m/
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    I've been putting more ketchup on my food. Good luck!
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options

*runs and hides*

sorry.

:smooched:

SPANKINGS
  • amymichelle1226
    amymichelle1226 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    You need to allow yourself some cheat meals every once and awhile so that you don't feel like eating all of the bad stuff and avoid going back on the "diet". You can't completely deprive yourself, or else you are setting yourself up to fail. But you need to know that never again (if you want to be at a healthy weight) will you be able to eat all unhealthy things all of the time. This is a life change, you need to choose you, not the food. If I have an unhealthier meal, I actually look forward to eating better the next day. Think about how it feels to have gained weight back (been there before) and think about how good it'll feel never to feel that way again!

You.can.do.this. Be strong!
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    When my depression or PTSD flares, I find myself eating constantly. I try to keep only healthy things around the house so at least I am eating healthy even if I am overeating. And I talk to my mental health practitioner about meds and therapies. Use my Wellness Recovery Action Plan. Use my positive sayings. But it is very hard.
  • HannahsBestLife
    HannahsBestLife Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Don't do what you feel like doing. Plan out your day, write down on your notebook that you WILL work out today, and don't find an excuse. If your mind gives you some reasons to give up, ignore them.

self-sabotage is about fear.
    Find out what the suppressed fear
    -afraid that you won't succeed?
    -afraid of change?
    -afraid of not getting through the holidays without backsliding?
    -afraid of people's perceptions?

Oh, and stop dieting.

*Our body is a mirror that reflects to us our own beliefs about our selves. Seeing our body as the enemy – because it “should” look different, or because it’s not perfect, or because we feel repelled by what we see in the mirror – prompts us to fight it, to reject it, to abuse and shame ourselves for it. We develop an adversarial relationship with our body, and feel victimized by it. We take turns then shaming, blaming, trying to fix, control, or hide (and deny) it. Explain to me how anything but suffering can come from a relationship like that with our body?* ~ Lynne Forrest

HALT: "Am I eating to nourish my body or feed my addiction?"

self-sabotage is about fear.
    Find out what the suppressed fear
    -afraid that you won't succeed?
    -afraid of change?
    -afraid of not getting through the holidays without backsliding?
    -afraid of people's perceptions?

"A consciousness of wrongdoing is the first step to salvation…you have to catch yourself doing it before you can correct it." --Seneca

Remember TFAR: Your Thoughts lead to your Feelings which lead to your Actions which lead to your Results. Diets don’t work because they are focused on actions, not the root causes (your thoughts and feelings); in fact they even create new thoughts and feelings that drive more overeating! Where else in your life do you try to fix the outside without addressing the inside first? How is that backfiring?
    Why I Want To Get In Shape

"Losing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. CHOOSE YOUR HARD." I've made my decision!!

"If hunger is not the problem, then eating is not the solution."

One "bad" meal doesn't make you fat, just like one "good" meal doesn't make you skinny!" Get up and move on, don't stay down

I suggest you post quotes of encouragement around you, and find exercises you like to do.

Best of luck~

^^ Just read this and I completely get it :) this is awesome and super helpful!!
  • Init_to_winit
    Init_to_winit Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Your story is exactly like mine. I am so desperate to lose weight. I am so absolutely unhappy with myself it's not even funny. I know exactly what I need to do, I know what foods I should be eating, I know I should be exercising and moving more and creating a calorie deficient without starving myself.I know how to cook healthy meals too. But I just can't do it. I start strong, and I see results but then I just quit. I don't have anything in my past I can attribute it to. I wish I had a good answer for you. I think it's hard for everyone. I keep waiting for something to click or something to just become natural to me or a habit for me but it just doesn't.

I'm just going to take it one day at a time. And try and eat healthy today, and exercise today and not worry about yesterday or tomorrow, just focus on today.
  • SloRunner25
    SloRunner25 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem but I figured it out. I like to reward myself with food. It goes back to behaving for cookies when I was little. I'll get down to the low 190s and then eat something to "reward" myself and it just ends up spiraling until im back at 205. Maybe it might be that or something different? We all have different triggers. The hard part is figuring out what the trigger is and then staying away. Instead of food, I'm going to buy myself a cute top/bra/shoes/etc. and only 1 of those things when I finally get under 190.

Hope that helps! Losing weight isn't just about food and exercise. It is about discovering ourselves again too. :)
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    :huh: at all the smart a$s answers. (there needs to be an eye-roll smiley)

I do the same thing, I self-sabotage after weighing in at a new low weight for me. I'm not on a damn "diet". I don't think I am afraid of change because I am BEYOND ready for this change. Afraid of other's perception? Maybe. I lost a lot of weight before and got a great deal of attention from it, and I couldn't handle it. It freaked me out, and it made me sad that all those people were only paying attention to me after I lost the weight. But I was a different person back then, 10 years younger in a lot of ways. However I think I still struggle with that way of thinking, which makes it hard to get to my goal.

One step forward, two steps back.
  • carriparton
    carriparton Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    As most posters said, I struggle with this too. On a daily basis. Some of these are really good tips. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you want some more support.
  • ChristiH4000
    ChristiH4000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I hear you and struggle with it to this very day. I don't have any answers as to why or how not to do this self-sabotage, but you're not alone and the success is just to keep rolling with these punches (even self-inflicted) and keep going. Never giving up no matter how far we stray from the course is the real victory because there is no finish line on this healthy lifestyle.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This seems to be an EXTREMELY common problem. Here's why I think that is...

The most common method for losing weight is to eat at a deficit; to DENY YOUR BODY WHAT IT DESIRES. Your body craves the calories from food to fuel your body because of the exercise you do, burning calories.

And all the "diets" out there are just methods to try to make eating at a deficit EASIER. But honestly, any way you look at it, eating at a deficit just makes you feel like crap and makes you frustrated and you just crave sugar and carbs and it sucks.

Eating at a deficit just isn't sustainable.

So here's the conclusion I've come to on that...

How can I look awesome in a bikini/be healthy/be proud of my body/be sexy/whatever goal anyone might have, without making my life suck? Well... I feel great when I lift weights. And you need to eat plenty of food to build muscle, and then the muscle helps you burn fat... so how about trying that?

I'm enjoying this method a lot more. It obviously takes longer and you need a lot of patience... but I don't hate my life, so I'm okay with it taking a while :P
  • lorrjoe
    lorrjoe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very good advice! I am positive I can benefit from this as I have been sabotaging myself for the past 2 months. I have lost 120 lbs and in the past 2 months put on 15. Not to proud of myself. :(
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i have the same issue.. i know what i need to do i know what i should and shouldn't eat or how much i should or shouldn't eat but i choose to stay the same. i've gotten better lately.. before i would binge and eat so much junk until it hurt then wait a bit and eat a buunch more. it's finals weeks so i haven't been making the best choices lately but i haven't been seriously binging so i suppose that is progress. gotta take it one day at a time!!
  • amber1533
    amber1533 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wish I could offer some well sound advice, but I suffer from self sabotage, too. I am struggling to over come it. I do find however that when I sit down (whenever you have time) and plan my meal for the day (or week) that I can look on here and say, Oh, I can have this. And when it's planned out I don't snack unless it's planned. But as the old saying goes "if you fail to plan, you plan to fail." it's never been truer in my life!