How often to you weight in?

2»

Replies

• dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Daily.

And ignore the volatile 1-5 pound swings each day.

But whatever you do, don't put a lot of weight on the number. Ultimately, it's just one metric (and not a very useful one at that).

Weight a minute...

I see what you did there
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    ... Ultimately, it's just one metric (and not a very useful one at that).
    Unless he's waying himself in pounds.
  • ladyluch99
    ladyluch99 Posts: 264 Member
    I found that getting on the scale once a week was too frustrating so I went to a once as month weigh in. I like that much better!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    I weigh in daily. First thing in the morning after going to the bathroom. I only record the weight here if there's a loss from the previous weigh in under the same circumstances.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I'm doing it once a month on the 19th or 20th and doing the whole BMI body Fat % weight etc.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Every day, first thing in the morning. And I update my weight here whenever there's a new low, but not when the scale show an upward fluctuation. It's motivating to me, and the trend over time is downward, so the bounces don't bother me. I look at it sort of like a science experiment.
  • Ejourneys
    Ejourneys Posts: 1,603 Member
    I weigh myself once a day, after I awaken and evacuate and before breakfast, but I'm used to seeing all the variation. I tend to have little blips up and down and then a "whoosh" down after a while as long as I'm doing the right things.

If you're very scale-conscious, the best strategy I've seen so far is to take daily weights and then compute the weekly average. It shows a much smoother trend than either daily or weekly weigh-ins. I did this 10 years ago (almost 11 now) and graphed the comparison:

8058380998_ed08a62411.jpg

These days I'm graphing drops in weight only:

8201655736_9296c6999c_z.jpg

The long periods between drops include those variations up and down, but you can still see that the drops eventually occur.
    (Edited to fit the second image better.)
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    once a week on Thursdays
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    Daily, but only my weight on Monday morning counts. It helps keep me on track over the weekend.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    I weigh every morning, and I only record a loss after seeing it for 3 days in a row. I don't record any gains. Works for me but I know a lot of people don't like doing it this way because fluctuations make them upset, etc.
  • I weight in every day after the bathroom but dont post it unless ive lost weight, which happens in bunches. However I feel that weighing myself everyday helps me stay in check.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    when ever I feel like it.
  • MrWThompson
    MrWThompson Posts: 19 Member
    Are you measuring your BMI yourself? At the gym? Or did you find a site (or something similar) to help?

I like the idea and was wondering.

Thanks for replying to my post!

-Will
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    I prefer (to) whey in the morning
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Every day!
  • malmbr
    malmbr Posts: 26
    I weight myself pre-BM and post-BM every time. I just like to know is all.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A bit embarrassaing to admit in a public forum, but I refuse to record my weekly weigh--in until after I've put in some time in the "library."
  • malmbr
    malmbr Posts: 26
    For "official" tracking, I weigh in and take my measurements first thing Monday morning -after bathroom, before breakfast. I also will step on the scale first thing in the morning throughout the week, just to see how I'm doing. If I see I've gained a little, I'll be mindful of that until my next weigh-in. If I see a decrease, I'm more motivated to stick with it until Monday. And if I'm planning to have any little binges or eat anything high in sodium and/or fat, I try to do that Thursday or Friday so my weigh in won't be affected.

I'm pretty obsessed with the scale.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    At the end of the month. I'm trying to push myself and check on my progress at the end of the month. I don't like weighing myself often.
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    I used to obsess about it and weigh myself each day and would see crazy +/- numbers. I had lost motivation for 8 months for various reasons. When I restarted my weight loss again in October, one of the changes I made was to strictly keep to once a week weigh-ins. I keep identical weigh in routine for less fluxuations. I weigh on Thursday mornings after the morning bathroom trip. I also have a scale that reports Body Fat %, Water %, Muscle %, and bone density. While the extra data points might not be 100% accurate, I have made a simple Excel Sheet to track and graph the progress. I have seen a drop in Fat % and erratic Water % (expected).