Half Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Good news is that you've done the hardest part: Zero-to-5K. Jumping up to 10K, 13.1 will take more training but it's well within grasp. When is the half? Check out this 12-week training plan:

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program

Best of luck!
    this!
  • Steve_Runs
    Options
    SHOES!

Do not go to Foot Locker or Big 5 or any other sporting goods store.

Go to a real running store, owned and staffed by actual runners.

They will watch you run, analyze your gait and determine which type of shoes you need (neutral, motion control, cushion) and if you need any additional support to deal with issues such as pronation.

They will give you several models to try on and a 30 day guarantee on the pair you take home.

The wrong shoes can cause injury, the right shoes can make your training so much easier.

Here's a sample half marathon training program that a lot of folks have good luck with:

http://www.digitalrunning.com/couch-to-half-marathon-plan/
    This for sure! Shoes make all the difference!
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just completed my first half earlier this month. Like you the longest distance I had done prior to that was a 5K. I recommend the Hal Higdon training programs that someone else referenced earlier (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51130/Half-Marathon-Training-Guide). I followed one loosely...basically I would run twice during the week on the treadmill at the gym for 30-60 minutes and then did a long run on the weekend outdoors. My longest training run was 13.5 miles, although on the Higdon novice plan the longest is 10 miles.

You can totally do this! A couple of suggestions:

- Listen to your body. The training plans are great, but if you need to rest, rest.
    - As you get closer to the event try to equip yourself with the same things you'll run the race in (clothes, music, shoes, etc.)

If you want some support feel free to add me. Have fun and good luck!
  • Steve_Runs
    Options
    I'm an avid runner. You've received some great advice. Train and then go have run. Best advice I can give you is to not start out too fast. You'll want to, but don't. Resist the urge and run at the pace you trained for. Your long run pace. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Feel free to add me as well.

Steve
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    Options
    Started out by saying: "I hate running. I'll never be a runner."
    Ran a mile then said: "I'll never run a 5k."
    Then quietly said to myself: "Maybe I'll run a 5k."
    Ran the 5k and said: "That was so fun, but I could never do a 10k."
    Ran the 10K then said: "I really have to stop telling myself I can't do things I actually can do."

My first half marathon is in February! I have no training plan other than getting a good mix of short runs for speed and long runs for endurance between now and then and keeping up with my lifting schedule. I can't wait to cross the finish line.

Best of luck to you on yours! :drinker:

This captures my journey perfectly - well said! Now after the 5K, 10K, 13.1M, I'm registered for my first 26.2 in Oct 2013.
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I didn't follow any "program" . . . I increased my long runs by a mile each week and ran long runs at least 2x a week. So M and F were long run days and T,W,Th were shorter run days, but always 5-8 miles. I really tried to just listen to my body and run a little farther each time I ran. My longest run before the half was 15 miles. I road run so I made sure I planned my routes with hills in them. I never really worried about speed, but had the goal of finishing my first in under 2 hours. My first half was in Sept. I finished in 1:48:49 . . . my second half was in October (3 weeks later) and I finished in 1:46:16
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I used the Galloway method for all 6 half marathons I've done. I also have used halhigdon.com to train. There are lots of programs out there (currently I'm using the couch to marathon iphone app by Trish Blackwell and it's really good so far).

A couple pieces of advice:
    1. Don't increase your mileage too quickly.
    2. Get fitted for GOOD shoes - don't look for style or color, go with the ones that fit and make sure the store will let you run in the shoes before you leave the store.
    3. Get running gear and body glide - chaffing is not fun in the shower or any other time.
    4. The best advice I received when training was - don't set a time goal for your first race because if you don't meet it you will be disappointed when you should feel like you just accomplished a huge feat. After all, there aren't a lot of people out there can say that they've run a 5K let alone a half-marathon.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    oh and I should add too, I only run 3 days a week as that's all my schedule allows, but I do do cross training on my off days (i workout 6 days a week).

ditto on the shoes.
  • Adrienne_bone
    Options
    Thank you EVERYONE who replied you made me feel a lot better about my decision. My half is on March 16 in beautiful Moab Utah so I have about 16 weeks to train. I've found some 12 week plans so I figured I could try to stick to those. Thank you for all your advice and keep it coming. If anyone wants to help coach me through feel free to add me I'd love all of your support!
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the thanks and to you, Adrienne for posting the question. Mine is April 28. Good luck to you.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the thanks and to you, Adrienne for posting the question. Mine is April 28. Good luck to you.