Nasty tasting "bucket" sized container protein powder???

Options
2»

Replies

• jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Yeah nutrisport is just THE worst! It's just got this really weird taste to it. By far the nastiest I've bought!
  • LindaGialouris
    LindaGialouris Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was using Bariatric Advantage in Vanilla, Chocolate, Orange Dream, and Iced Latte. Of a couple of brands I tried, the BA had the best flavor and texture. I blend some of them with NF milk and some with water and ice. I've been drinking them 2-3 times a day for 2 months (every day. I had RNY on 10/15/2012). About 2 weeks ago I bought some Pure Protein Vanilla shakes (in cans) at GNC and have fallen in love with it. The Chocolate is also good - and they have 35 grams protein per can. I drink about 1 1/2 - 2 cans a day. Now when I drink the Bariatric Advantage I smell (and taste) the Whey protein isolate. Pure Protein has whey protein also, but the taste is masked so much better. They sell Pure Protein at WalMart but it only has 23 grams of protein - I don't know why they difference. I also bought a 2 lb tub of UNFLAVORED whey protein at GNC and I haven't been able to stomach it. It has a distinct taste and smell. Sorry to say it gags me. I wanted to use it to boost protein content of things like oatmeal, cream of wheat, soups, sauces, whatever. I can't use it so I am going to donate it though a Yahoo group I belong to.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Honestly I had a similar experience when I decided to try a different brand (also with a vanilla powder), even the smell when I opened the jar was rank, like baby formula...I tried it so many different ways, even tried to cook with it, but its taste was in everything, so I chucked it in the end, I was wasting more money on trying to mask its god-awful taste and make it useable anyway.
  • Flamenquero
    Options
    I use Unjury protein. It's a little pricey but IMO is the highest quality made on the market. It tastes great, but I dope it with other things like low acid orange juice, banana, etc.
  • dcdemocrat34
    Options
    If its that bad, chunk it, you won't eat it, and will end up just adding more calories and sugar to it, negating its purpose to start with.

I use My Fit Foods Vanilla, low carbs, taste great.
  • melisalyons
    melisalyons Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I bought gross powder once and I used it for baking,
  • SweetDorothySweat
    SweetDorothySweat Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Protein pumpkin pie, or protein banana bread, protein pancakes.... basically, cook with it. lol
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    what brand did you buy??

Pure Protein Whey Powder Vanilla Cream (walmart special. I should have known...)
  • angelalf1979
    Options
    Have you tried it with milk?

I use almond milk to save on carbs :wink:
  • angelalf1979
    Options
    Add some ice cream to it

I did this. Actually used vanilla frozen yogurt. Still fricken gross!
  • angelalf1979
    Options
    There is a recipe on here for Protein Mug Cake that is super good, and I make homemade protein bars. I'll try and find that recipe.

Thanks!:happy:
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I had a huge tub of protein powder I wasn't too fond of so what I did was when mixing it was to add half a scoop of a chocolate meal replacement powder to it. I also used one scoop of protein powder as opposed to the 2 scoop serving size.
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Add some ice cream to it

I did this. Actually used vanilla frozen yogurt. Still fricken gross!

I get the brand from Costco. a 6lb pack costs about the same as 2lbs of EAS at GNC, and I think it is pretty much about the same stuff. I get the vanilla, and usually blend it with water and a half cup of mixed berries (also from Costco).

If I'm just looking for the protein, I'll drink it just mixed with water. The vanilla is pretty good really. I say cut your losses and just go to Costco

The 100% Whey Protein available in Costco stores is from CytoSport (the makers of Muscle Milk)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Oooooohhh can I relate!

The best "mixer" I found is actually either diet orange or diet root beer soda. Seriously, everything else was still just too icky but this combo was tolerable. Can't say I liked it, but it was pallettable.

Good Luck!
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    My favourite one is vanilla - pretty much can be flavoured to whatever you like.

Add some sugar free jelly (or"jell-o, Americans :P) to a couple cups of Greek Yoghurt and a scoop of Protein powder and freeze it with sme berries. Boom - ice cream.
  • Dymatized
    Options
    If you bought it at Vitamin Shoppe they will take back opened protein powders. The sales guy told me that after I told him about Optimum Nutritions nasty vanilla powder taste. By then I already drank it all but now I know. I find that all vanilla flavored protein shakes taste bad. Stick to chocolate can't go wrong. If you can't take it back try peanut butter, milk and/or a banana like everyone else said. Otherwise, you're gonna have to suck it up and drink it fast.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use that brand and don't mind it. I make smoothies; 1 scoop protien, 1 cup almond milk, 1 cup coffee, 1/2 banana, ice and sweetner. Delish! Or, 1 scoop protien, 1/2 banana, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup almond milk, sweetner and 1 cup spinach. Believe or not it is yummy, can't taste the spinach but get all the benefits. One of these is my breakfast every day.