canned salmon. what to do with it?

Options
anifani4
anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
I have this can of salmon and need some suggestions for what to do with it .... so I can eat it.

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Throw it away. I had some cans of it once. I could find no way that it was palatable to me. Good luck!

Edit to add: That stuff even had bones mixed in!
  • Yaya1976
    Yaya1976 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I agree, throw it away.
    But that's just me :)
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    Love me some canned salmon...eat it!

I just open up the can and go to town.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Salmon cakes!
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    sorry I LOVE canned salmon - I buy it at costco so I always have some. AND amazing amount of protein too!

I make two servings and just add 2 tbsp's of olive oil mayo, salt, pepper, a splash of vinegar and onion. I eat it with a plateful of fresh veggies..tomato cut up, cucumbers, carrots, celery.

YUM!
  • Celeigh12
    Celeigh12 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I tossed the only one I ever bought too. The bones and skin in there was truly unappetizing and it just didn't taste right.

That said, my friend made me these salmon cakes from Cooking Light and they were great. It calls for canned salmon:

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cajun-salmon-cakes-with-lemon-garlic-aioli-10000001072187/
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If it's got bones and skin in it, I'd feed it to my cat.

Sans bones and skin, I'd make a salmon sandwich; or anything else you'd do with canned tuna. It just tastes better!
  • ShmoozyQ
    ShmoozyQ Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I eat canned salmon all the time. Bones and all. Good source of calcium.

Mix it up like tuna and make a sandwich or wrap.

Make a salmon dip and eat it with crackers and veggies.

Salmon cakes/patties.

Mix it up in a salad.

Eat it straight out of the can.
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I used to love it in sandwiches. Mix with a little vinegar (and pepper, if you like), then pop it on some bread with slices of cucumber. My nan used to make me those all the time when I was younger.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Make a salmon pie. Add a basic white sauce to the salmon in an oven proof dish. tarragon is a nice herb to add. Then cover with a layer of mash potato and bake until heated through. Simple and tasty. I always take out the bones and skin,
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    Throw it away.

I went to dinner a my parents house a few months ago and she was still making dinner. As soon as I saw what was inside that can I left and made dinner back at my house. I've never really liked salmon cakes and now that I've seen inside the can of salmon I won't even pretend to eat it.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Feed it to the cat.
  • mommy1126
    mommy1126 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I use it all the time to make Salmon patties : )
  • kiykiy79
    kiykiy79 Posts: 177
    Options
    Salmon and sweet potato cakes... http://fitmamaeats.squarespace.com/home/sweet-potato-salmon-cakes.html

Yummy in my tummy!!
  • TeresaWash
    Options
    samlmon loaf.... seriously, yummy.
    Google a recipe.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    see if your cat will eat it
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I eat it right of the can...it's great...
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have this can of salmon and need some suggestions for what to do with it .... so I can eat it.

I make salmon patties, an old recipe that my grandma made back in about 1930. Take out the bones, mix an egg, some crackers, some finely diced onion, and a few spices together. Maybe add a pinch of flour to help hold it together. Put a little oil in a pan and cook them. They are delicious. Maybe not the best choice for a diet, but still not bad. Still high in omega 3's!
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    Options
    Bear-baiting