I am confused!

chelso1
chelso1 Posts: 25 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I was talking with a coworker today about myfitnesspal.com, and I was telling her oh I only have 119 calories left to eat, so I need to work out so I can get more calories back so I can eat supper. She told me I'm not supposed to be eating those, but I thought I was supposed to be eating all of my calories? Am I just supposed to make sure I eat my daily goal of 1,290, and then leave whatever it is that I burn? I feel very diet and exercise food dumb, but I swear 1290 calories is small. I eat 3 meals a day and then 2 100 calorie snacks a day, and it just always seems to go over 1290. Isn't there a specific way that I can calculate how many calories I would need in a day if I would want to maintain my weight? I thought that's what my calorie count was going off. I thought it was already lowering my calories for me.
If I'm all wrong, please let me know, because I am becoming confused, and I'm not liking it!

Thanks!

Replies

• eat your workout calories - MFP already figures the deficit that you need to lose weight, you need to eat the exercise calories to keep your body functioning - go to the community boards and read the newbie threads they explain A LOT!
  • madmama
    madmama Posts: 123 Member
    When you set your goals did you ask to maintain or lose, MFP sets your calorie intake based on that. You need to eat most of the exercise calories as your body needs the fuel to keep the motor running. Keep up the good work, the results will come.
    :happy:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    So I was talking with a coworker today about myfitnesspal.com, and I was telling her oh I only have 119 calories left to eat, so I need to work out so I can get more calories back so I can eat supper. She told me I'm not supposed to be eating those, but I thought I was supposed to be eating all of my calories? Am I just supposed to make sure I eat my daily goal of 1,290, and then leave whatever it is that I burn? I feel very diet and exercise food dumb, but I swear 1290 calories is small. I eat 3 meals a day and then 2 100 calorie snacks a day, and it just always seems to go over 1290. Isn't there a specific way that I can calculate how many calories I would need in a day if I would want to maintain my weight? I thought that's what my calorie count was going off. I thought it was already lowering my calories for me.
    If I'm all wrong, please let me know, because I am becoming confused, and I'm not liking it!

Thanks!

You're right, MFP IS lowering your calories, and if you work out, you WILL get higher numbers. There's a huge debate here as to whether or not to eat your exercise calories. Feel free to check out the help info, I'm sure there's stuff there about it.
    I usually eat most of mine. :wink:
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    I just asked the same question at my nutritionist this past week. She said its a big debate topic. I burn about 1000 calories a day during workouts and I was eating back almost half. The answer is no, do NOT eat back your exercise calories. There is basically no point to working out if your going to eat them back. She said think of exercise as brushing your teeth, do it and go about your day. Certainly eating 100 calories that you burned isnt going to kill your diet, but I am just eating my 1200 everyday, and am satisfied. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member
    I just asked the same question at my nutritionist this past week. She said its a big debate topic. I burn about 1000 calories a day during workouts and I was eating back almost half. The answer is no, do NOT eat back your exercise calories. There is basically no point to working out if your going to eat them back. She said think of exercise as brushing your teeth, do it and go about your day. Certainly eating 100 calories that you burned isnt going to kill your diet, but I am just eating my 1200 everyday, and am satisfied. Hope this helps.:flowerforyou:

If you're only eating 1200 calories per day, and burning 1000 calories per day, you are essentially only giving your body 200 calories per day to run on. This is known as 'exercise anorexia'. You may lose weight at first, but eventually, you're going to make yourself sick doing this.

Eat back your exercise calories, yes. If you don't feel comfortable eating them all, eat half of them. But please, EAT!
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member

I hope you don't mean that. If you eat 1200 calories a day, and you burn 1000, then your body is only netting 100 calories a day. I'm thinking you should go read the sticky posts as well as the OP.

Is your nutritionist aware that you are already in a calorie deficit? Most of the time, when professional types like trainers and nutritionists tell newbies not to eat their exercise calories, it's because they don't have the full picture. Once you tell them that you're in an over 500 calorie deficit already, they change their tune. Any nutritionist who supports the idea of a client only eating 100 calories a day needs to turn in their BMI wheel.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member
    :devil: yes i have this same issue and im wondering that i shouldnt be eating my workout calories, because i go to the gym every day and i have been dieting for almost 3 months and only lost 11 pounds this doesnt seem far i think i should have lost more than that,,,, im gonna try not to eat most of my work out calories starting this week and see if there is a difference...
  • MaryleeUSA
    MaryleeUSA Posts: 25 Member
    I've seen the debates and decided to eat mine (since that was my Preference..LOL) and it is working for me so far!
  • I just asked my personal trainer this exact question yesterday.. and he is said YES... in order to keep your body fueled to work out you need the eat them. and like the previous poster said if you arent eating them then you are actually hurting yourself not helping yourself.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Please read Bank's post....this will help you in understanding what you should do. BTW, he's very smart and is certified in personal training....and posts a lot on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo
  • chelso1
    chelso1 Posts: 25 Member
    Wow thanks for all the quick replies! I was so nervous that I was doing this all wrong, but I could have sworn that MFP was already giving me lower calories to eat since I want to lose weight.
    Thanks, and keep the advice coming.

You all rock!!
  • MercuryBlue
    MercuryBlue Posts: 886 Member

I hope you don't mean that. If you eat 1200 calories a day, and you burn 1000, then your body is only netting 100 calories a day. I'm thinking you should go read the sticky posts as well as the OP.

Is your nutritionist aware that you are already in a calorie deficit? Most of the time, when professional types like trainers and nutritionists tell newbies not to eat their exercise calories, it's because they don't have the full picture. Once you tell them that you're in an over 500 calorie deficit already, they change their tune. Any nutritionist who supports the idea of a client only eating 100 calories a day needs to turn in their BMI wheel.

I completely agree!

Except... 1200-1000= 200. Still, 100 calories per day or 200- it's still WAY lower than ANY person should be eating. Heck, a fetus in the mother's WOMB needs more than 100-200 calories per day.
  • mrsbeck
    :devil: yes i have this same issue and im wondering that i shouldnt be eating my workout calories, because i go to the gym every day and i have been dieting for almost 3 months and only lost 11 pounds this doesnt seem far i think i should have lost more than that,,,, im gonna try not to eat most of my work out calories starting this week and see if there is a difference...

3 months is about 12 weeks, so an 11 pound weight loss is right on target for losing at a healthy weight-it's just under a pound a week. In other words, what you're doing now is working for you....probably should stick with it!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Please read Bank's post....this will help you in understanding what you should do. BTW, he's very smart and is certified in personal training....and posts a lot on MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

Beat me to it!:laugh: I was going to post that link!

Personally, I've done it all 3 ways (eat all, eat some, eat none). When the one worked, I stuck with it until it didn't. Then I tried one of the others and stuck with the one that worked until it didn't. Etc Etc Etc. It's a constant learning process, for us AND our bodies. If you're losing weight eating your exercise calories, then keep at it! If you've plateaued, then that is one thing you can try changing to break the plateau. Keep at it!
  • mrsbeck

I completely agree!

Except... 1200-1000= 200. Still, 100 calories per day or 200- it's still WAY lower than ANY person should be eating. Heck, a fetus in the mother's WOMB needs more than 100-200 calories per day.

Yeah, no one told me there'd be math...

I just got back from working out, and haven't even finished my post run chocolate milk...I have runner brain.
  • meganwojo
    meganwojo Posts: 221 Member
    I burn Up to 1000 calories a day. Depending on how much I work out. And like I said, I will eat back sometimes half of what I burn, depends on how hungry I am. She is aware of my 1200 calorie diet. I usually go over to about 1400 though before exercise, then eat another 200 or so after exercise. She is actually one of the most successful doctors in my area...I appreciate your suggestions, but I will stick to what my nutrionist says. Like I said, its a very very big debate in the medicine field. Its 50/50 on how people feel about it. I feel that if you eat back all the calories you burn, whats the point? I feel comfortable with the amount of food I am eating, its not starving or depriving myself. :ohwell: oh well.
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    I burn Up to 1000 calories a day. Depending on how much I work out. And like I said, I will eat back sometimes half of what I burn, depends on how hungry I am. She is aware of my 1200 calorie diet. I usually go over to about 1400 though before exercise, then eat another 200 or so after exercise. She is actually one of the most successful doctors in my area...I appreciate your suggestions, but I will stick to what my nutrionist says. Like I said, its a very very big debate in the medicine field. Its 50/50 on how people feel about it. I feel that if you eat back all the calories you burn, whats the point? I feel comfortable with the amount of food I am eating, its not starving or depriving myself. oh well.

You've just said two different things. In one post, you said you're sticking to 1200 calories a day, and working out 1000 calories. In the next one, you say you're eating about 1400 + another 200 or so. There is a huge difference between 1200 calories and 1600 calories a day.

My registered dietician put me at 1500 calories a day straight up, no bonus exercise calories. It's only about 100-200 less than what I was eating when I was eating my exercise calories.
  • jenken99
    jenken99 Posts: 564 Member

3 months is about 12 weeks, so an 11 pound weight loss is right on target for losing at a healthy weight-it's just under a pound a week. In other words, what you're doing now is working for you....probably should stick with it!

thanks for the comment i believe it prolly is the best to take it off so slow then maybe i wont gain it back,, but i just like things to go off faster.
This discussion has been closed.