Not sure how to log Zuzana's beginners workout!

Options
Helllllp fellow fitness buddies! I've been doing Zuzana's "absolute beginner's" series 1-6, and cannot for the life of me figure out what to log it under on my exercise. I don't feel right logging it under circuit training (I'm currently doing 30 Day Shred and THAT goes under there) because it isn't intense enough, and I'm not sure that Pilates is appropriate because I don't know the calorie burning similarity. Anyone here done this series and successfully/accurately logged it under something else?
Thanks for the help!

Replies

• Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm new on here and just saw this post. Did you ever figure out what to log Zuzana workouts under? I am also currently using circuit training...
    Do you still do Zuzana workouts? I'm doing the Zwows for a few months now. I frickin' love that girl!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with the workout. What kind of stuff do you do?

I log most DVD workouts as "aerobics, general".
  • johnny059qn
    johnny059qn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor. No more guessing.
  • Sonjalalala
    Sonjalalala Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Not familiar with the workout. What kind of stuff do you do?

I log most DVD workouts as "aerobics, general".

Have you heard of BodyRock? It is similar. Zuzana is a co-founder of BR but now has her own site/style.

Umm... I don't know if I'm allowed to post the URL on here or if that's considered advertising :-D

I guess it's classified as calisthenic (I saw that on a Zuzana blog somewhere). The techniques usually involve your own bodyweight, sometimes free weights, cardio exercises, stuff like burpees... There are usually 3 or 4 exercises, 10 to 20 reps per exercise, and 3 to 4 rounds.

The workouts are fairly intense but short, around 16-20 minutes (or 13-15 if you can keep up with Zuzana)
  • kiiks52
    kiiks52 Posts: 21
    Options
    When I log ZWOW's, I look at the list of exercises and pick out the ones that **really** had me huffing and puffing and wanting to cry, and often any cardio exercises (side skips, burpees, jump rope, etc). I count the number of those exercises and divide by the total number of exercises. Then I multiply that number by my total time for the workout, and I log this new number as "calisthenics, vigorous" (which burns same amount of calories in MFP as "circuit training." Then I take the rest of the minutes and log them as "calisthenics, light/moderate."

Example:

ZWOW #59

- RDL push ups
    - Cross around the worlds
    - Weighted reverse lunge twists
    *****Cross body mountain climbers
    *****Side skips

These last 2 of the 5 exercises made me either want to quit, cry, or puke. lol. So 2 / 5 = 0.4 * 24 minutes = 9.6 (round up to 10 minutes) "calisthenics, vigorous"
    24 minutes - 9.6 minutes = 14.4 (round down to 14 minutes) "calisthenics, light/moderate"

No idea how accurate this method is since it's hard to factor in calories burnt the rest of the day as a result of the workout, but I feel like this is a pretty good way to log the ZWOWs. It's all depends on how hard you push yourself. The more exercises you push yourself on, the more you get to log as "vigorous" calisthenics. :)